Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:38:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInterstellaria. Space sim. LIVE ON STEAM!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Print
Author Topic: Interstellaria. Space sim. LIVE ON STEAM!  (Read 101550 times)
tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: July 31, 2014, 12:04:30 PM »

I see this game on r/gamedev all the time so I'm following.  LMK if you need any gameplay feedback. 

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: July 31, 2014, 12:28:11 PM »

He's undressing me with his eyes. I feel violated Embarrassed

my twitter. my itch.io page.
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: July 31, 2014, 11:09:37 PM »

oh WOW!

This looks INTERESTING!
Love the mood of the human captain.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:15:42 PM by Bombini » Logged

coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: August 09, 2014, 09:59:51 PM »

did a little work on punching peoples face in

DUSTER - Western Simulator

Tig Blog
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 11, 2014, 01:18:29 AM »

did a little work on punching peoples face in

party hard!
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: August 12, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »

It's so hot here, I wish it was more like this gif

Tig Blog
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: August 15, 2014, 05:21:37 AM »

Alrighty guys, here comes a BIG update dump

Well here we are - the update I've been waiting to give all month. Its been difficult keeping everything under wraps - but I have to let the cat out of the bag at some point!

A few months ago I had the opportunity to get some good in person play time with a few people who didn't know me, or my game. The amount of notes that arose from that event was staggering, and fantastic. That, combined with notes sent to me from the alpha testers, made me formulate a plan to make sure the game "felt" the way it was meant to. The first step in that was to improve space combat, so a few months ago I showed off a new system of combat that was more interactive, interesting, and unique:

This was really exciting to make, because it simply took the existing code, and modified it to work with multiple ship instances instead of just one. Fairly simple to switch over, and after a week or so of alpha bug testing it was working like a charm.

Then it was on to planet phase. The tricky part of this was the planet phase was not fully complete yet, so even without changes it would require a lot of coding. After playing with a few options to make it a bit more fun (including procedural content, which I placed on the back burner) I was able to mock up something that was piqued every ones interest. It would again reuse existing code, but this time from both the planet phase and the space phase.

<strong>NEW PLANET EXPLORATION MECHANICS/CONTROLS</strong>

Instead of just spouting a lot of words, lets just let the gifs do the talking first

Lets just land the whole ship

allow you to use all your crewmen

And I mean all (Auto harvest AI in action)

They're pretty good and finding their way

Even if they're not armed, they will MESS STUFF UP

all interaction still work as before, a new layer of code has been added for pathfinding and item harvesting, but otherwise its the same game.

Even simple levels are a lot more "alive" now

This allows for some fun new locations

The first question people asked - what happens if you take off without your crew? Well you're given a prompt. Otherwise, they're left behind.

a few menus were updated for this change up.

Its likely this new change will worry a lot of people - but in terms of scope there's not much worry. Its done! Just like when space combat was renovated there will be a bit of time where its buggy. An example is the the new tutorial has a bug in it - which will cause the inventory to not open sometimes preventing you from moving on! Eek! Alpha testers: version B will be live this weekend to patch up the error.

In addition, I have and always will be super open to suggestions and feedback. Be aware due to dev cycle I can't always get right to an idea right away, but I have a very hefty list of ideas, and many of them have been used. Hit me up here, or better yet on twitter!

I'm sure there's more, but much of it was covered in the last big update. For now, I'll leave you with this smug human captain.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:35:19 AM by coldrice » Logged

Tig Blog
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: August 19, 2014, 12:11:07 AM »

Congratulations! Keep it up!

coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: September 08, 2014, 11:44:10 PM »

Last weekends PAX has come and gone, but I was lucky enough to get some "ins" through a few contacts of mine. Had the opportunity to showcase my game to some press types each day - sadly no big leads BUT everyone involved seemed super interested in what I was working on. I also spent a ton of time taking notes on their reactions, as well as the various games around (and the reactions of people playing those games).

Long story short, I took a "break" this week and spent time trying to get through as many notes as I could. I didn't tackle them all, but I got a big chunk out.

better background stars

visible bullets to/from your ship

Instead of events being "random" they are visible on your starmap

Mass AI, and better/cleaner pathfinding code

crewman to crewman interaction returns

They're a lot better at just doing their own thing when out of combat

side screen alerts when crewmen do things off screen

Improved death alert (not quite done yet)

bouncing coins

planet tactical pause

Tig Blog
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: October 06, 2014, 02:48:59 AM »

Hey all, Coldrice here. I felt like it was just wayyyy to long since the last update so I thought it'd be good to let you all know how the game is going.

The alpha testers have been enjoying big meaty bi-weekly builds. Steam builds have been coming every few days! So much clicking together... it's just awesome!

WHATS NEW

First, let me preframe this with the fact that these shots are in no particular order so some UI/background things are a bit inconsistent. Trust me, you'll know which ones are older, and which ones are newer

Planets are getting awesome

We'll be adding in a artifact log as well to help you keep track of the important items you pick up. This is not a quest oriented game - but I don't want to make it difficult to remember that one last tip you got on where to go

We've also been working really hard on the AI/interface for planets. There are now a ton of options for "auto" ai as well as different ways for your crew to work together. We've added offscreen icons to keep track of your guys, fast toggle with tab, and pausing

The best part is a lot of the new updates and changes have actually been in space phase. Lets dig in a bit more in depth on this one

Tactical pause

New trade menus. We've opted for physical space stations instead of little menus to represent space stations

Scrollable starmaps

Kickstarter backer custom characters are starting to show up as random encounters!

FINALLY better stars!

In an effort to remove RNG that works against you we've put the random events/encounters right on the map.

Being close to asteroid encounters shows up in the background. We'll be slowly adding more as we go.

Oh hey, combat is visible on screen. It was a debate on how we wanted to go with this, but I think this is the best choice Wink

Better AI for hunger and sleep

I've also implemented obstacles during combat. These can allow you to avoid fire or protect an important ship. Be aware, the debris that has precious loot also acts as obstacle - only it'll be destroyed when it.

I've also overhauled the random event display. It looks a lot more friendly, and fun!

As always, I’m sure I’m missing something – but there has been so much development its hard to keep track sometimes!

WHATS TO COME

Well so far every update I’ve made has been MASSIVE… and I hope to keep that momentum! I love making this game, and it’s come to the point where it doesn’t matter how well it does – I just want people to play it. So what is there to look forward to?

CONTENT MODE: We’re almost done with all the systems that will be in place. Of course as testing continues things can and will change.Now weeks are spent building things!

BUG FIXES:  I’m very keen on polishing what’s already in place.

BETA: It's almost there guys, I promise!  I’m really dedicated to having a very solid experience, and so I’ve delayed a beta release to work on “On more thing” week after week.

BUT COLDRICE, WHAT ABOUT RELEASE?

Ok here’s the fun one. I get that question a lot. Everyone wants to know when the game will be done. It’s scary to quote times (which I already did with Kickstarter!). Truthfully a lot of bad things have happened recently with Kickstarted games and so many people are gun shy about it all. I HOPE my track record proves my dedication!

A few things have changed about the release date (sorry !!!!). First – no matter what I will be pushing the release into January. There are a multitude of reasons, but the ones that most everyone can understand is

A) Taxes – It would be unwise for me as a business to take in any money in December. I would end up spending a large sum on taxes. I would rather push it 30 days and not have to worry about it. Truth be told, the kickstarter itself ended up paying quite a bit in taxes (nearly $4k) because the company didn’t have enough deductions by the end of the year. Ouch Sad

B) Steam sale – I don’t want to launch anywhere near the winter sale.

So what does this mean? Well hopefully it’ll give me more time to add in a few more side planets and items. I don’t intend to squander any extra time! I figure (and hope!) that any complications or delays would be understood.

Moving along, there has also been a LOT of question on twitter regarding Early Access. At this point we are all a bit unsure of Early Access. I don’t want to ever be perceived as trying to do a cash grab or scam gamers for a quick buck. Everyone involved in Interstellaria is leaning AWAY from Early access. I have not fully dismissed it for a few reason.

a) I get requests to get into testing all the time. I feel a bit bad saying no, but I really don’t want to undercut the kickstarter backers.

b) Most people don’t know the costs of game development.

I’ve had a lot of people (including other devs!) ask how it felt to have 28k to make a game. The truth is its a very small amount. The final take home after fees was 26k. We immediately (between music, some equipment, licenses, fees) invested 20k into the game to ensure that no matter what the entire development is covered. That might seem crazy, but those who do development understand how cheap we’ve been running. We’ve been able to keep our overhead remarkably low. That has left around 6k for the rest of the year. Needless to say I didn’t quit my day job!

Between 40 hours of work, and an average (and I keep track!) of 42 hours a week on game development (remember, I’m a solo dev) I definitely burn the candle at both ends. It’s easy to rack up these numbers because I truly do love making games – there isn’t a thing about it I hate. Now knowing all those numbers, you can see how any influx of money is incredibly helpful. From buying new things for the game itself, to simply being able to swap hours from work and spend more time making the game (and hopefully bringing it to your hands faster!) .

That being said, Early Access will only happen if I feel it doesn’t compromise the integrity of myself, or the game. I’d rather work all the hours and release something that people enjoy then potentially damage the game before it’s even out of the stables. It’s not a no. Just a statement of my intentions.

Alright, serious chat over. I’m going to get back to it. You can always e-mail me for comments, feedback, or ideas – but twitter is ALWAYS the best. I’ll respond quick! I’m super pumped for Interstellaria, and I hope you are too!

Tig Blog
Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: October 06, 2014, 06:15:07 AM »

This excites me... like... emotionally and I guess... sexually as well.

my twitter. my itch.io page.
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: October 06, 2014, 11:17:17 PM »

This excites me... like... emotionally and I guess... sexually as well.

Wink

coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: October 07, 2014, 11:23:31 PM »

Welp I'm scared. I guess my newest thing doesn't help any...

Tig Blog
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: October 09, 2014, 02:11:35 AM »

this little walrus is pretty endearing Smiley

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:59:48 PM by coldrice » Logged

Tig Blog
Thomas_
Level 0

https://twitter.com/DustbowlAGS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: October 09, 2014, 11:25:08 AM »

All this is very interesting and impressive!
And the pixel art is killer!
I'll follow this. Wink

FuzzySlippers
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: October 09, 2014, 12:01:19 PM »

Are you working on this pretty much solo? It looks like it has so much content already.

coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: October 09, 2014, 09:00:43 PM »

I try to go back and forth between content and mechanics - with the mechanics being nearly done 100%.

That being said, yes I am a solo dev. I have a guy for sound effects and of course chipzel the musician. I just chip away at the pile a little bit every night!

Tig Blog
Platy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 12, 2014, 12:59:21 PM »

I've been following this game for a while and I just wanted to drop by and say how amazing it looks ^^

I was wondering, since the size and scope of Interstellaria seems so large and because you're working alone, how do you manage to stay focused and organised?

Keep up the good work Hand Thumbs Up Left
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: October 12, 2014, 01:27:09 PM »

I've been following this game for a while and I just wanted to drop by and say how amazing it looks ^^

I was wondering, since the size and scope of Interstellaria seems so large and because you're working alone, how do you manage to stay focused and organised?

Keep up the good work Hand Thumbs Up Left

Thanks! Sometimes I don't know myself. I'll wake up after a long week and suddenly there's more game!

But seriously though, I have a really dedicated work schedule to this - and immense to do lists/organization to stay on track

Tig Blog
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: October 18, 2014, 03:06:06 AM »

so planets are a thing now

Tig Blog
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Print
Jump to: