Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:04:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInterstellaria. Space sim. LIVE ON STEAM!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
Print
Author Topic: Interstellaria. Space sim. LIVE ON STEAM!  (Read 101555 times)
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: April 05, 2015, 01:01:42 AM »

DUSTER - Western Simulator

Tig Blog
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 07, 2015, 10:54:48 PM »

really shocking news, I'm stunned
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: April 26, 2015, 12:15:19 PM »

Alright dudes, a quick thing - today is the last day of the Indies Crash E3 event. We're in the top 5 to go to e3! Pretty cool. Hopefully we don't get bumped last minute!

http://indiescrashe3.com/nomination/45622722-EC7D-8F88-4B52-F93ACEE18A7B

It'd be a great honor to go!

RE: launch dates. We have a date confirmed, we're honestly just waiting on our press material to get done. Putting it all together is taking a lot longer than I thought it would, but we're working as hard as we can!

Tig Blog
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: May 13, 2015, 03:25:36 AM »

So the question on everyone's mind... WHEN Coldrice? We want to play this thing!
 Well sadly we'll be facing another delay. I'm sure people who have experience with kickstarter have experienced this a number of times - but let me tell why you shouldn't be too worried!

If you've been following on twitter you might have noticed a big number of twitch streamers playing the game, giving fantastic playthroughs. Beta testers can attest to the dramatic polish/changes that have gone in the last month or so. The game is (minus a few things) totally complete and will be hitting 1.0 likely in the next 2 weeks. AWESOME. It's a very odd feeling to be at the end of the journey.

I guess the biggest thing is that the journey isn't really over.

As you guys may know Interstellaria has been a solo operation. This means coming to the close I have been responsible for bug fixes and polishing while at the same time putting together marketing material. Sadly this led to a large number of challenges. With the extra workload, bug fixing would extend all the way up to our launch date (a very dangerous and stressful proposition). Then we ran into a few challenges getting the marketing material together. We've been experiencing some mounting challenges just to get this out the door. We were aiming for a May 22nd game launch but we missed our PRESS launch window. Yikes.

This puts me in a very awkward position. Do I try to push and launch asap? Well There were already some challenges with our first date - We'd be competing with The Witcher! I was willing to take on the challenge, but (without giving out confidential  information) Any delay will now see us taking on the steam summer sale. In other words, a rock and a hard place. I've spent 2 years now on the game. Put yourself in my shoes - do I rush haphazardly to launch it and risk obscurity or do I launch with all my strength at the very best opportunity?

This all means we'll have to wait until a few weeks after the Summer Sale. I'll be back with more details as soon as I can, likely with a backer only update first and then a general update later on.

Though I don't feel at all guilty for waiting for the right time, I do feel immensely guilty for those of you on kickstarter without alpha/beta access who are waiting to play or who signed up for a preorder. We're exploring possibilities of how to handle that. Interstellaria is a fun game, and after the tutorial you can go anywhere and do what you'd like. HOWEVER the central plot (should you choose to follow it) IS linear, and I'm not really looking forward to the prospect of spoiling the excitement.

Please chime in! I'm more than willing to chat about the problem! Again, I apologize for delay!

Tig Blog
klf11
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 13, 2015, 07:41:52 AM »

So the question on everyone's mind... WHEN Coldrice? We want to play this thing!
 Well sadly we'll be facing another delay. I'm sure people who have experience with kickstarter have experienced this a number of times - but let me tell why you shouldn't be too worried!

If you've been following on twitter you might have noticed a big number of twitch streamers playing the game, giving fantastic playthroughs. Beta testers can attest to the dramatic polish/changes that have gone in the last month or so. The game is (minus a few things) totally complete and will be hitting 1.0 likely in the next 2 weeks. AWESOME. It's a very odd feeling to be at the end of the journey.

I guess the biggest thing is that the journey isn't really over.

As you guys may know Interstellaria has been a solo operation. This means coming to the close I have been responsible for bug fixes and polishing while at the same time putting together marketing material. Sadly this led to a large number of challenges. With the extra workload, bug fixing would extend all the way up to our launch date (a very dangerous and stressful proposition). Then we ran into a few challenges getting the marketing material together. We've been experiencing some mounting challenges just to get this out the door. We were aiming for a May 22nd game launch but we missed our PRESS launch window. Yikes.

This puts me in a very awkward position. Do I try to push and launch asap? Well There were already some challenges with our first date - We'd be competing with The Witcher! I was willing to take on the challenge, but (without giving out confidential  information) Any delay will now see us taking on the steam summer sale. In other words, a rock and a hard place. I've spent 2 years now on the game. Put yourself in my shoes - do I rush haphazardly to launch it and risk obscurity or do I launch with all my strength at the very best opportunity?

This all means we'll have to wait until a few weeks after the Summer Sale. I'll be back with more details as soon as I can, likely with a backer only update first and then a general update later on.

Though I don't feel at all guilty for waiting for the right time, I do feel immensely guilty for those of you on kickstarter without alpha/beta access who are waiting to play or who signed up for a preorder. We're exploring possibilities of how to handle that. Interstellaria is a fun game, and after the tutorial you can go anywhere and do what you'd like. HOWEVER the central plot (should you choose to follow it) IS linear, and I'm not really looking forward to the prospect of spoiling the excitement.

Please chime in! I'm more than willing to chat about the problem! Again, I apologize for delay!

I wouldn't wait too long, will lose all the hype that has built up so far, with all these streams and no way to get it.
Maybe give preorders early access if you purchased before a certain date.

siskavard
« Reply #365 on: May 14, 2015, 11:05:04 AM »

I'd say delay it as little as humanly possible, but by all means if you're not happy with it then do what you must!
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: May 14, 2015, 01:37:41 PM »

Don't worry guys it'll be quick! We'll have all material done pretty soon. I'll use the extra time to improve systems I think could
Use some love,  but other than that km just going to wait out the summer sale!

Tig Blog
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 15, 2015, 08:32:02 AM »

saw this on twitter. no biggie, you're totes doing the right thing.

coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: May 25, 2015, 11:21:16 PM »

Well after our unfortunate delay, I'm sure a lot of people are curious what's been going on with the game. A lot actually! With a new timeline in place, it was time to improve a few features that I wasn't 100% happy with. I'm really excited to show these new features to you! I apologize for using gfycat links, but these gifs were a bit massive

NEW STATION MECHANICS
http://gfycat.com/ifr/ScarceCheerfulInchworm

One thing I was really unhappy about was the way stations and crew were being used. They stood around. A LOT. Other than gathering items on planets, what were they for? Play testers were coming up with elaborate death machines that didn't even require crew. The game is supposed to be all about the crew!

In the gif above you'll notice a couple of things. First, the engines no longer work unless there is a crew attached to navigation (and of course, power). This might be a bit annoying to veteran players, but it adds a new dynamic to combat and space travel. The bonus your crewmen offers your ship speed has also been greatly increased, AND crew now level up A LOT faster. in order to balance crewmen on navigation at all times, I've also reduced their hunger/sleep decay rate.

You'll also notice the bobbing! The ship now moves around on screen. Nothing dramatic, but it adds a crazy amount of life to the game. You'll have to see it to believe it.

http://gfycat.com/ifr/OffensiveConsiderateAmurminnow

Scanning now works the same way. Scanning was the one station that was the least useful or used in the game. Now it's pretty impressive. It still dramatically boosts accuracybut, the combat map below is covered in a "fog of war." It is revealed when scanners are active. The enemy ships details are also revealed when scanning is active. The coolest part: No more scan button! The scan button added nothing to the gameplay except to slow the player down.

You might also notice that the astroids now move. This is one of my favorite changes. I increased speed as well - if you can get the astroid moving really fast it'll damage things it runs into! The best part is that bullets can't penetrate it, so it's pretty nifty to absorb enemy fire while doing some damage.

Weapons also have the same treatment (though not pictured.) In order for guns to fire, you must have a tactical station manned. The bonus to your weapon damage has been increased for each station as well to make it more beneficial.

http://gfycat.com/ifr/ElegantSadChicken

Energy has always been a huge hassle to deal with as well. Manually turning stations on/off proved to be a really boring feature. During combat, you'd have to power down all your food/sleep/entertainment stations one by one, then power up your navigation or tactical. By making the stations required for ship operation, I knew I had to fix this problem. Stations now share an energy "pool." The energy is automatically allocated depending on usage. Combat is now a snap - just simply send your crewmen to the combat stations. A lot less fuss.

http://gfycat.com/ifr/LeanDentalCrustacean

Heres the big one. This took a while, but it's well worth it. Installing stations and managing guns was probably one of the biggest issues for players. How do you do it? Why can't you remove stations? Etc etc... I've split it off into it's own menu separate from the inventory. It is now in the "Fleet Management" window. Move your crewmen from ship to ship, install stations, remove them, or just move them. Swapping guns from ship to ship used to take a LONG time. Now just removed, switch to the ship you want, install. Also I dig the little icons :3

We've also been making a lot of little changes here and there, far too much to itemize in gifs

http://gfycat.com/ifr/EssentialAssuredIggypops

Your little ship icon now shows up, and then goes to the point you land. Not really an essential feature but I think it polishes it well

http://gfycat.com/ifr/BrokenMealyBlackmamba

You may have noticed that you can rename your ship. You can also rename your crew. I'm not a big "renamer" so I didn't realize how much people would want it! Request granted!

http://gfycat.com/ifr/GoldenRecklessArctichare

Other little things: crewmen now climb down ladders instead of jumping down them. Minor, but appreciated!

http://gfycat.com/ifr/TerrificAdolescentBandicoot

Where, were do you find this? You'll have to find out I guess.

Well that wraps it up for now. Patch notes between v0.99->v0.99n here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Interstellaria/comments/37avqz/interstellaria_v099n_live_be_prepared_mechanics
I'll be out of town this week on a non-dev related trip, so I wanted to get an update out before I left. Maybe I'll make a little game with all those icons while I'm away? Once I get back my mission is nothing but bug fixes and polish. Thanks everyone for your patience!

Tig Blog
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: June 23, 2015, 08:37:13 AM »

It's happening, it's really happening!

Interstellaria Launching July 17th! I can hardly believe it! It's been a long road, but it's finally here!

Tig Blog
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 24, 2015, 08:49:17 AM »

Great trailer! The speakers (and their texts) are wonderful!
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: June 24, 2015, 09:02:25 AM »

Congrats on the release date! :D

coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: July 16, 2015, 12:08:24 AM »

It's almost here guys! Ahhh! getting nervous! I'm still finding places to put some finished touch ups on. Staying away from anything code related if I can help it.

for Example, an event now pops up when crew quit your fleet

Tig Blog
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: July 17, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »

It's Here! It's Finally Here!

I can hardly contain my excitement!

Interstellaria is Live on steam! PC/MAC/LINUX

http://store.steampowered.com/app/280360/

In addition, you can Find Interstellaria on the Humble Store, and GoG! If they aren't live yet, they will be live shortly!

You can also get the Chipzel OST here

http://chipzel.co.uk/album/interstellaria-ost

Thank you everyone!
If you get the game, please be sure to add your review to the game on steam!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 09:07:51 AM by coldrice » Logged

Tig Blog
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: July 17, 2015, 12:54:43 PM »

hey man! this couldn't have come out at a better time as i literally JUST had my birthday, meaning i got a ton of spending cash! gonna pick this up right away!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: July 17, 2015, 03:43:13 PM »

just bought interstellaria and am loading it as we speak! see you on the flip side!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Worthless_Bums
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: July 17, 2015, 05:55:53 PM »

Gratz on release!  Beer!

Currently working on Steam Marines 2, a squad-based steampunk roguelike: A Steam Marines-like!
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: July 17, 2015, 07:00:42 PM »

THanks guys.

To add another chapter to the dev log history book...

Launch Bugs ;_;

Tig Blog
Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: July 17, 2015, 08:51:49 PM »

brah. i started the game and got a character with the name connor emilio. im connor heighton. 11/10 close enough.

EDIT: what kind of bugs? i havent encountered any yet as of my playing through this lightly.

EDIT EDIT: nevermind. my character bugged out just now and i can no longer progress my save. gg.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:58:10 PM by Connor » Logged

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic