Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:33:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLinux Game Jam - Discussion
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Linux Game Jam - Discussion  (Read 13969 times)
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »

EDIT: Changed the title to be more fitting, as "Would you be interested?" doesn't fit for an event I haphazardly started half a year after it was proposed. The most up-to-date rules can be found here! You can also submit theme ideas to [email protected]. Have fun! The original post is below:

Well, I've had something on my mind for a while now. Since I've been dual-booting Linux from a Live USB, I've fallen in love with the OS. Heck, the only thing that stopped me from outright installing it on my system is that I need to clear off enough space for my Linux harddrive to be large enough (Well, I could just buy an external one, but still...). I do see why Linux is less of a contender than Microsoft and Apple, think about it, its quite obvious actually. What did the NES, the PS2, heck, Microsoft and Apple now have that the Master System, the Gamecube, and Linux don't? Developer support. That's right, there's not many people, indies or otherwise, that make Linux games, at least, compared to the other two OSes. So I figured I would have a game jam for Linux based operating systems. I wouldn't be so cruel as to make them exclusives though, as many people, myself included, use Java and other languages that are cross-platform, but I would actually like to see a game jam where everything is playable on Linux or Android. Well, what do you guys think? Would you actually participate in such an event? How long do you think I should run it for if I decide to go through with this?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 07:54:32 AM by Gravity Games » Logged
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 06:34:49 PM »

You'd be surprised how many people actually use some form of Linux. I'm totally up for it thanks to finally being bored of playing what little games I have. Why not have it last for a month on a monthly basis if you decide the first one works? In my opinion, one of the reasons that Linux gaming is behind besides the top indie games are these cheesy clones with sprites that look like it could have taken three minutes in The GIMP. And then their developers try to pass it off as "retro."
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:47:08 PM by Player Ʒ » Logged
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 06:54:57 PM »

Recently with Steam appearing on Linux, and the humble indie bundles, more and more games are appearing on linux. And they love it. I'm sure the linux gamer community wouldn't mind you guys having a jam.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »

Wow, already some positive feedback. That's REALLY nice to see!

@Player 3

I originally actually had things planned out, but I've been second guessing myself. You said that you'd like to have the jam last a month, which is what I originally wanted (gives more time for quality games), but I'm not sure whether more devs would be attracted to the jam if it lasted 48 or 72 hours like most game jams. I also originally couldn't decide whether or not I should have a theme, but after weighing the advantages and disadvantages of each, I decided a theme should be there, or at least an optional theme. Feel free to leave suggestions, as I'm still planning this, and its my first time doing any sort of event like this.

@Impmaster Yeah, Steam has helped a LOT, but I personally don't think Linux is there quite yet. I personally don't have Linux steam, due to having Windows Steam, but as I said in the original post, Linux's main disadvantage is lack of dev support. If a good Linux exclusive game out on Steam, I'd probably get it in a heartbeat.

But yeah, I guess I'll wait and see what a few other people have to say, but until then, feel free to keep discussing and help me plan this out. Well, the first thing I'm trying to decide is the dates, time limit and theme. I'm trying not to overlap the No Future Contest, as people will probably flock to that instead, due to an actual prize (well, that, and I'm also likely participating), so I was thinking maybe the month of August if I do a month long, or July 19th through 21st for a two or three day jam. As for the theme, I'm thinking of making an alternate Gmail account and having people email themes, and then have a public vote on them, similar to Ludum Dare. What do you guys think?
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 08:31:44 PM »

So what exactly would certain rules be? Run "native" on Linux (ruling out browser games)?
rnlf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 10:08:05 PM »

I usually don't have enough time to participate in game jams, but I would really love to see a Linux jam, since this is my primary development platform  Beer!

Concerning the rules, I propose to allow everything except for Wine (or similar) or VM solutions.
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 05:36:32 AM »

Yeah, I was pretty much going to rule out everything but Wine (that would ruin the point of the jam anyway Wink...) I'm not sure about browser games yet, but I'll probably still allow them, again, provided they run native on Linux.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 09:09:16 AM »

Yeah, I was pretty much going to rule out everything but Wine (that would ruin the point of the jam anyway Wink...) I'm not sure about browser games yet, but I'll probably still allow them, again, provided they run native on Linux.

It's generally accepted that the web browser is a separate platform as they are intended as data and information transfer and display. Plus I wouldn't exactly call a web browser "ready" until hardware acceleration is a given with JavaScript. Leaving browser games allowed would practically limit the types of submissions to Java and browser games while allowing more people to enter from the broader perspective.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 06:29:32 PM »

I think I'd be interested in making games specifically for, or even with, Linux. It's always cool to see games that are cross-platform, especially with Linux.

rnlf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 03:08:00 AM »

Yeah, I try to use free/open source software for everything related to my games, from development environment to SFX production. It's hard sometimes, but it works. Maybe something like this can be added to the rules or be used as an asset?
petarov
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 06:16:04 AM »

Hi, I'm new around here but count me in. I'm using Archlinux at home.

Some rules would be nice though - use only open source libs, competition theme, something else?  Beer!

return 0;
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 02:22:17 PM »

...use only open source libs...

You're pushing it, Stallman. But that's not a bad idea. Fits the theme. Coffee
rnlf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 11:30:59 PM »

It's not that hard really. The only closed source library I ever used in Linux gamedev was fmod and this can easily be replaced...
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 07:25:01 PM »

Sorry for the late reply, I'm on a vacation right now and couldn't get the internet to work for a while. Anyways, this is pretty much going to happen now. I have a seperate email setup now at [email protected], so be sure to send theme suggestions there! I'll also be sure to make a twitter and facebook page as well. Now that that's out of the way, lets make as many rules as I can think of official.

There will be a theme.
The first event will last for 72 hours, and later events will be adjusted accordingly.
The event will be reoccuring, like Ludum Dare.
Making your entry open source is not required, but highly recommended.
With the exception of code, previous works may be reused. HOWEVER, you may usr previously made code if you release it open source.
Games will be judged by both the community in five categories, fun, creativity, graphics, sound, and overall.
All games will remain the property of the respective teams involved. I know this should be obvious, but I might as well say it.
Games are acceptable for any Linux build, but keep the popular builds in mind (Ubuntu, Mint, and Android, among others).

Thats all I can think of for now. I can't wait to see the games you guys make!
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 08:08:32 PM »

Android is really different from the rest of the linux builds, isn't it?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
PypeBros
Level 0

Simplest, but not Simpler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 01:37:36 AM »

Android is really different from the rest of the linux builds, isn't it?
Quite much, yeah. Specific (closed-source?) drivers and framework on top of the linux kernel and mostly a java-based classes to interact with the framework. You need to dig deep under the abstraction layers to find Linux on an Androïd device, although it's cool to think it's there.

chrisjan
Level 0

Serial jammer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 01:50:47 AM »

Any tentative dates?  I'd be interested in joining, but depending when (busy schedule...)

Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 09:54:35 AM »

Any tentative dates?  I'd be interested in joining, but depending when (busy schedule...)

For now, I'm planning to have it on July 19th through 21st.
rnlf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 04:05:29 AM »

Are you sure about Android being a thing in this competition? It is so different from the rest, that I'd suggest allowing "desktop" Linux only. Opinions?
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 06:01:32 AM »

Are you sure about Android being a thing in this competition? It is so different from the rest, that I'd suggest allowing "desktop" Linux only. Opinions?

Well, no. I'm not 100% sure... At first, I was, but the more I think about it, the more I think it might actually be better to not allow android games. Android does have more devs than Desktop Linux after all. However, I am sure Browser games will not be allowed.
EDIT: Sorry, the internet was acting up when I first posted, I meant Browser games would bot be allowed, not Android.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:52:46 PM by Gravity Games » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic