Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:27:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLinux Game Jam - Discussion
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Linux Game Jam - Discussion  (Read 14022 times)
iforce2d
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 11:41:15 AM »

I was really pleased to see Steam supporting games on Linux, and would like this trend to continue! I don't think I will be able to join this round, but will definitely be keeping an eye on it, and... maybe next time Smiley
interstellarDAVE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »

I would be up for this. I use linux as my primary environment and would love to see more people use it for development. I always see people using Mac, Linux is so much better  Grin
framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 08:30:52 AM »

I'd totally be up for this. I'm just curious as to what distros we would have to make our packages available for? I'm assuming that ubuntu would be standard, but do we have to make a package that can theoretically run on any distro?

Thanks.

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 02:47:58 PM »

I'd totally be up for this. I'm just curious as to what distros we would have to make our packages available for? I'm assuming that ubuntu would be standard, but do we have to make a package that can theoretically run on any distro?

Thanks.

Wouldn't a folder with an executable and assets just like every other modern OS work as well? It should, having tried some games in this method. Maybe save for having to tweak the "Run as executable" bit.
framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 03:05:51 PM »

Wouldn't a folder with an executable and assets just like every other modern OS work as well? It should, having tried some games in this method. Maybe save for having to tweak the "Run as executable" bit.

Cool, this is what I was thinking of doing anyhow. Thank you.

pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 12:18:18 AM »

19th is close. Are the rules final?

Im in if there is no overlap with 7drts, beginning 22th, so deadline 21st sounds perfect.
framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 07:47:39 AM »

19th is close. Are the rules final?

Im in if there is no overlap with 7drts, beginning 22th, so deadline 21st sounds perfect.

Pretty much this for me as well.

interstellarDAVE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 04:43:45 PM »

I'm in for this weekend.
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 12:49:27 PM »

I have an idea for a game and if I can find a few hours of free time this weekend I will try to implement it no matter if there will be anyone to jam with or not. Ninja
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 01:04:06 PM »

Would it be cheating to use Monogame?

framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 01:25:25 PM »

Would it be cheating to use Monogame?

I don't think it would, the rules state you just have to make an executable for linux, so I'd say anything such as monogame, unity3d, etc. would be fair game.  Gomez

chrisjan
Level 0

Serial jammer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 04:58:06 AM »

Today is July 19th.  Any news about this?

In any case, we have our regular game jam tomorrow ( http://www.berlinminijam.de/2013/07/next-jam-20th-july-2013.html ), I'm doing a Linux game anyway.  I'd like to post a link to it somewhere here when it's done, pretending that I'm participating in this jam too.

pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 11:35:58 AM »

Decided to try to do a native game using C and SDL. Have not really done anything like that for some 5 years or so, so right now I try to set up cmake and sdl properly just to open a window (or fullscreen) and fill in a background color. Also only have a very vague idea what the game will look like. If it seems to work out despite that I will start a devlog sometime in the next 24-48 hours.
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 02:01:10 PM »

Sorry for the late reply, the internet was out for a bit. I was going to start it today at five, but I'm delaying it until next Friday at five for ovvious reasons (its 6 PM here...). Oh, and to the person who asked which distri to use, any one is fine, but most people use Ubuntu.
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »

OK. Good. I have a nice start for a C+SDL template for use sometime later, but will see about this or next weekend.
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 04:01:15 PM »

Welp, the jam is going to start tonight at 9:00 (I postponed it an hour so people can see it..., yeah, poor planning on my part, I know...). The optional theme is going to be "Sense of Scale", which I randomly picked, as no one seemed to submit any themes. Lets hope that there's a lot of participants!
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 08:23:58 AM »

Alright, its pretty clear that we're going to need some better organization. What would you say would be a good date to reattempt hosting the compo? (I tried last week and no one entered...) The only nearby date I can see (without another jam going on) is August 20th-22nd, but that's not on a weekend, so yeah...
framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »

If you would like I can make a website where we can organize the jam a bit better. Would that help things?

Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2013, 07:07:39 AM »

It might, but I don't really think there should be a website until at least one jam actually happens. If you want to make a website for the jam though, I don't mind at all.
Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2013, 06:27:12 PM »

I would encourage the people to make the games they do in this competition open source. And by the way if you are only allowed to do open source libraries then Unity would be out.

But I doubt that this competition will happen, because developing for a specific platform does do anything with your creativity.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic