Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:22:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[PC] Titan: Dawn - A Sci-Fi RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [PC] Titan: Dawn - A Sci-Fi RPG  (Read 3246 times)
McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »

Hello everyone,

My team and I have been working on this project for over a year now and are excited to share with you our public announcement. This game will be released on the PC. Below is some basic information, screenshots, and a link to our website. Please let us know what you think!

Track us on IndieDB!

Game Overview
Titan: Dawn is a nostalgic blend of classic RPG gameplay and exciting, fast paced action, creating a player experience like those found in our favorite games of old. Presented in a 3D isometric world, the game draws on essential elements from some of the greatest games of the past and enforces the importance of quality storytelling and engaging participation.

Plot Synopsis
The story of Titan: Dawn is set hundreds of years after humanity has achieved the ability of deep space exploration and colonization. The main governmental force in this universe is known as the Union of Free Worlds, a dogmatic dominion that rules with strict authority over the hundreds of planets that make up the core worlds. Numerous other factions have emerged in hopes of overthrowing this dictatorship.  These events have lead to a massive conflict that has left the galaxy on the verge of all out war.

At the center of this conflict are the Titans, a group of genetically enhanced humans. Some view this emergent race as the next step of evolution for mankind. Others believe their superhuman power to be a liability.

You enter into this story at a pivotal time, and the choices you make will determine balance of power in the universe.

Features
Classic Role-Playing
Titan: Dawn is a game based on the classic foundations of the RPG genre. Experience is gained, new levels are achieved, and more powerful skills and abilities are unlocked. You will grow your character into one of the most powerful forces in the universe.

A deep and multilayered storyline keeps you searching for answers and engaging with the people you meet throughout the game. Our non-linear approach gives you several options, rather than forcing you to complete the same quests in the same order each time you play. A multitude of dialog options give you the chance to hold meaningful conversations that aid your progress or get you into serious trouble. Beneficial side quests and mini-games add even more depth, and give you the opportunity and incentive to explore every corner of the game.

Impactful Decisions
Titan: Dawn is a game where your decisions have consequences. The choices you make during the game reverberate throughout the remainder of the story, and offer a unique gaming experience each time you play. Even minor and seemingly inconsequential conversations can influence the final outcome. The allegiances your characters make will be entirely up to you, and will dictate the directions you go and the ultimate conclusion to the game.

Your available options blur the lines of morality, as the choice between "right" and "wrong" will depend on the path you've taken in the game.  Unlike other games which give you the clear option of good or evil, Titan: Dawn allows players to decide which factions' intentions are most worth supporting, or to act in their own self interest alone.

Variety and Customization
Titan: Dawn offers a wide array of weapon classes and modifications, armor types, powers, skills, attributes, and available party members that each offer their own benefits and weaknesses, giving you a wealth of playing options.

To prevent gameplay from becoming stale and one dimensional, games should offer their players more than one viable play style, weapon set, or ability, and allow them to complete the game in their own way. In Titan: Dawn, whether you prefer to run and gun, focus on spell casting or become a master of stealth, whatever play style you choose can bring you success.

Merchants and randomized loot offer players the chance to discover new items and upgrade their current gear. Rather than using simple graduated armor and weapon classes, modifications and powerful augmentations can be added to your favorite pieces of gear. Even items found in the early stages of the game can grow and become immensely powerful.

Fast Paced Combat System
A wide variety of weapons and abilities offers players a fast paced and engaging combat experience. Customize and modify an arsenal of weapons or develop  supernatural powers to devastate those who stand in your way. Our approachable yet dynamic control system lets you take full advantage of your character's abilities without having to assign anything to your macro keys.

Innovative Mini-Game System
Mini-games have a tendency to lack depth and interest. In Titan: Dawn, mini-games act as a pivotal aspect of story development, and are built to a level of complexity that actually merits the time it takes to solve them.

Our unique three dimensional hacking system delivers a sense of real achievement upon completing a challenge. Other immersive mini-games give you a wider range of gameplay such as engaging in high-stakes racing, underground fights, and equipment crafting.

Here is our website: www.titandawn.com

As far as feedback goes, we're really looking for any kind we can get. We really want to spread the word and get this out there. Anything that can help us achieve a better experience for the player is welcomed, so have at it!

Best,

Chuck McMackin
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:18:02 PM by McMayhem » Logged

Titan: Dawn - A Sci-Fi RPG
Viewpoint Games, Inc. || Titan: Dawn ||
McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:43:12 AM »

Hello everyone!

Just thought I'd update this thread with some videos.

Weapons Intro:
This video shows off some of the weapons in the game as well as the ranged combat system.

Dialog Showcase:
This shows off the dialog tree system we have in Titan: Dawn. It mimics those seen in Balder's Gate, Arcanum, and Neverwinter Knights.

New Inventory System:
This development video showcases the multi-cell grid inventory we recently implemented to replace the old single-cell system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQRQAfGbQJc

Overture Music:
This video is really just audio of an overture our composer did for us, embodying the theme of the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQcwSpRu3Y

Background Video:
This narrated concept video illustrates the background of the world of Titan: Dawn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ActcJqUBE9c

That's all for now. Please check back for updates!

McMayhem

McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 10:15:14 AM »

Good news, everyone!

Along with the game we'll be giving players a fully functional editor capable of adding and editing the content of the game. The editor will include a TDA(Titan Data Assembly File) editor, dialog editor, item editor, character editor, and much more. Each tool will be fully documented with examples. (See screenshots below!)

We've added a new section in our forums completely dedicated to modding. You'll be able to edit and create new content for just about every aspect of the game. Currently, we're working on providing in-depth documentation for all the tools in the toolset in order to make the process as user friendly as possible.

Keep your eye out for more updates!

-McMayhem

McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 07:37:37 AM »

And we're back with our second update!

Since our first, we've continued to finalize our hacking mini-game. Sounds have been created and implemented, and general quality improvements have been made to movement, player controls, combat, and the environment you'll be interacting with. As we put the finishing touches on the mini-game, we'll be releasing a developer video to give you an in-depth look at what we've come up with (this weekend, barring some kind of catastrophic equipment failure or ineptitude). Shortly after we release the video, we'll also be releasing a playable version of the hacking mini-game with three levels of difficulty to finally give you guys a chance to fiddle with what we've been working on.

We've also completed voicing for the entire first act, and are now in the process of refining the audio for implementation into the game. We collected a great cast of voices, and the results have exceeded our expectations; you won't have to suffer through an entire game voiced by two people speaking into an iPhone app.

With voicing checked off the to-do list, we're getting closer and closer to completing the first stages of the game, leading into beta testing. Before we release a playable demo, we would love to have some input, ideally from fellow nerds and developers like you. For those interested in helping us with our beta testing, we've created an email address to collect requests: [email protected]. All you need to do is send us a message saying you'd like to give us a hand and a short list of your computer specs. After we compile a group of testers, we will send you more in-depth details about what we're looking for, and of course the beta demo itself.

Lots of exciting stuff coming your way soon. We're excited to finally get to share some of our work, and we hope you stick around to check out what we've got coming out next!

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 07:50:28 AM »

No one has said anything? Wow.

This looks quite interesting, looking forward to more updates.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:58:14 AM »

looks good :D

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 09:42:16 AM »

This looks really nice, specially after seeing the video. It seems to me that you screenshots look too contrasty, not subtle enough. But the videos showed something quite smooth.

How many of you are working on this (contractors included?) How long did it take to develop the project - and how long will it take-? I can measure smaller games fine, but something like this evades my ability to gauge the amount of effort that went into it...

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 10:56:04 AM »

WHOA this looks awesome. Like a proper sci-fi diablo. The music is fantastic too.

McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 12:28:42 PM »

Wow, look at all this feedback! Thank's so much guys. We always appreciate it when people are keeping tabs on us. I'd love to answer your questions.

@Juan Raigada - The core development team is comprised of about 6 people. We do have a full team of professional voice talent that also does work for us, though they are more on the asset generation side than the development side. We started the project a little over a year ago and have been plowing through it ever since. We're hoping to have a demo out sometime this summer, though beta testing will be the ultimate determining factor as far as that is concerned. As far as the project as a whole, it's impossible to tell at this point. We'll have a much better idea of what a realistic time frame will look like once we complete the first act.

The game isn't actually as big as it might seem. It's three acts with multiple main quests along with a multitude of sidequests in each area. Depending on how thorough a person is in their play through it could take anywhere from 6 - 14 hours to complete the game. We are putting a lot of stock in replay value and moddability, however, which will make the game much more diverse and interesting.

And you are absolutely right about the screenshots, that might be something I go back over and re-shoot, as we have changed up our system a lot since those screenshots were taken.

@jamesprimate - That's actually the look and feel we were going for, so I'm glad you picked up on that Smiley. Though the game will play more like a CRPG than a hack-n-slash. We're trying to merge the best elements of both worlds, and some others as well.

Keep your eyes open for more updates! We'll be posting a new video here pretty soon.

-McMayhem

McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 10:01:37 PM »

Good news everyone!

We’ve finally added our Hacking System video to our Videos page! This video features an in-depth look at our unique hacking minigame. You’ll see what uses it has, how to operate it, and what kind of strategies are involved in successfully hacking an object. Please give us your feedback in the forums!

Also, we have a new email for beta requests. We’re always looking for more people to help us fine tune this game to a point where it is enjoyable for everyone. If you are interested in joining the beta team, please send us an email with your name and computer specs to [email protected].

Here's the link to the video:

Keep looking for more updates!

-McMayhem

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 09:20:26 AM »

Screens seemed rough but it's nice in motion. Some of the environments remind me of system shock 2. Hacking is like a wholly different game too, I didn't think you'd put such effort in secondary systems.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 11:05:29 AM »

Thank you so much for the feedback! We really want to make our minigames something special that not only provide the player with a break from the regular gameplay, but also accent the atmosphere and make use of strategy and problem solving.

Can you be a bit more specific on the screenshots thought? I've noticed that's a recurring criticism and I'd love to go back and re-shoot those scenes, but I'm just wondering what parts of it bothered you. We did at one point, have a contrast enhancing image effect on the camera that made things a bit... contrastier, and we have since gotten rid of that, so if that's the only issue it should be easier to fix. However, if it's a bit more fundamental, I'd like to know so I can address it.

Thanks again for the kind words and support!

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 11:14:14 AM »

I can't really put my finger on it, in the first one I guess it's the bloom but overall they're all kind of boring and give you time to see how low end the various assets are and don't really show how well developed and smooth the whole thing seems in actual footage with all the features on display (inventories etc), which I guess can't be helped, but still, I'm sure you can take some better ones!

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »

I can't really put my finger on it, in the first one I guess it's the bloom but overall they're all kind of boring and give you time to see how low end the various assets are and don't really show how well developed and smooth the whole thing seems in actual footage with all the features on display (inventories etc), which I guess can't be helped, but still, I'm sure you can take some better ones!

I think I have an idea of what you mean, and I completely agree. Thank you for explaining that. I'll go through the screenshots and retake some with the new settings we have and put them up sometime this week. Really appreciate the feedback!

-McMayhem

McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 11:44:08 AM »

Developer's Log - 23 July 2013
Lots of cool stuff to show you folks this week, so let's get right into it:

We're putting the finishing touches on the character generation menu, which should be familiar to classic RPG fans. We designed the character creation process to run as smoothly as possible, complete with tool tips to clarify each step for players newer to the genre. As a third person game, we've kept a character's physical attributes fairly simple, as customization will come much more in depth with armor, helmet, and weapon options.

Although we have no set character classes, skills, attributes, and abilities can be arranged to suit any desired play style.
Whether you prefer to run and gun, sneak around like a ninja, or cast spells like a conjurer of cheap tricks, the choice is yours. To help you better understand the relationships between particular groups of attributes, we've also included a "recommended settings" option for those looking to focus on any specific style of play. This setting will offer suggests for skills, attributes, and abilities to target as you level up, and it can even take care of the leveling up process for you, if manually adding stat points isn't your thing.

Alongside skills and attributes like strength, intelligence, constitution, and charisma, which govern things like health, energy regeneration, and hacking ability, you will also have a number of abilities, or powers, to use throughout the game. These powers are both active and passive, and are used to bolster your protection against incoming attacks, absorb enemy health points, and deal greater damage. Each ability has five levels, with each new level increasing its effectiveness.

Development is moving along smoothly, and as the release of our demo draws near, we are still looking for quality input from our followers to help make this game reach its full potential. If you would like to get your hands on the latest beta of Titan: Dawn, please send us an email at [email protected].

McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 08:01:36 PM »

Developer's Log  - 15
August 2013

...and we're back with some exciting news! After working out
a few last kinks, our first beta test demo has been released! For the first
time, people outside the development team are getting their hands on the game
and giving us some much needed feedback. We're quite pleased with the initial
reception so far, and some major bugs have already been caught and corrected.
With this testing, we're getting a much clearer idea of what to improve upon as
we move closer to our official demo release.

Elsewhere, we've completed work on our computer interface
system, which will feature prominently throughout the game. With the computer
system, you'll be able to navigate through security systems,  activate or deactivate security systems,
uncover more in-depth question information, and more. Unlike many other similar
systems where hitting the enter key executes your objective, you will use the
computers in Titan: Dawn like a command prompt, entering in your own commands
to turn on security cameras, cycle through personal emails, etc.

Finally, we've implemented a high quality effects system
called FumeFX into the game, dramatically improving the look and feel of things
like fire, water, smoke, dust and more. Look out for a video in the future
showing off some of our new found effects capabilities in the near future.

With testing under way, much of our disconnected work is
coming together into a unified product, and we're moving closer to the
completion of our public beta, which all of you will be invited to play. Don't forget, you can sign up for the current beta by emailing a request to [email protected]!

That's it for now! We've got even more stuff to show you
guys over the next few weeks, so stay tuned!

-McMayhem

McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 07:59:17 PM »

New Development Video!

Hello everyone! We have just released the first in a 3 video series outlining our combat system. Please let us know what you think.

McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 09:45:29 PM »

We've just finished the second video in our Combat Showcase series, so come have a look!

This video features melee combat and shows what elements are involved and how abilities work in tandem to make you an efficient brawling machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2YoCHK2x5I&feature=youtu.be

Be sure to check back for the final video in the series showcasing powers and abilities.

-McMayhem

McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 07:44:25 PM »

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since our last update (to say the least... yikes). But rest assured, we are not dead.

Quite the contrary in fact. We've been hard at work, and finally have something substantial to present to you: an Open Beta. Not a video or an article talking about our game, but the game itself.

The open beta serves two purposes: First, you all get the opportunity to actually play our game, and second, you have the chance to participate in the development process. Please note that this is not an "Early Access" release. You do not have to pay to participate in the Open Beta, and most importantly, the game is actually playable. We understand that the gaming community has an immense range of opinions on gameplay, and not everyone is going to agree on what is or is not fun. We believe, however, that when the majority of our player base does agree on something, we should listen.

Ultimately, we will be the deciders of what makes it into the final release, but we want to make sure that the people we are designing this game for have their needs met. With that in mind, we've created a new forum just for the Open Beta. In it you will find notes on the latest build, instructions on how to submit feedback and bugs, as well as an assortment of debug commands to help you test out different character builds.

You can download the Open Beta from the downloads page on our website:

http://www.titandawn.com/downloads.html

To sign up for the forums, check out our community page:

http://www.titandawn.com/community.html

Thanks for sticking with us, and I hope to see you all on the forums!

The Viewpoint Games Team

McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 05:44:25 PM »

Good news, everyone!

Download: http://www.titandawn.com/n_down.php?tab=1

From the very first moment we showcased our weapons, you've been wondering one thing:

Well, thanks to a lot of hard work and countless hours of lost sleep, they've arrived! We are proud to present to you our Energy Weapons! Right now it's just a pistol and a rifle, but as time progresses, we'll expand it into much more.

Pulse Pistol
------------------------------------------------

Pulse Rifle
------------------------------------------------

Energy weapons deal energy damage, so normal ballistic shields/armor isn't going to cut it! Take some time to test it out and see how you like it. As usual, please let us know whatever feedback you have.

Take a look at the change log here for more information on what else is new.

If you're looking to get into the energy weapons right away, and don't want to hassle around trying to find them in crates, here's some helpful console commands:

Code:
spawn_item(p_spectron_t22)
spawn_item(rf_gentum)
spawn_item(am_pistol_pulse)
spawn_item(am_rifle_pulse)

Copy and paste those one-by-one and you'll have yourself an energetic setup!

Added Content:
- Added new reload sounds for rifles and pistols
- Added Energy Weapons to the game
- Completely reworked the projectile code
   - Projectiles now use proper damage calculations
   - Projectiles are smoother and more polished
   - Optimized for better performance
- Added new sounds for melee weapons
- Added new soudns for containers
- Added a new fire effect to the first level
- Added more data logs to all levels
- Added combat music to all areas

Fixed Bugs:
- Fixed a bug in the Robotics Department where the doors made no sound
- Fixed an issue where the murder cutscene on the first level could be replayed
- Fixed a bug where Morgan's dialogue would overlap if skipped
- Enemies no longer walk through doors
- Enemies will now open doors when investigating disturbances
- Fixed an issue where the guards on the first level would continue to talk after they'd been engaged in combat

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic