Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:43:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookVerge (27 Life and Death) [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Verge (27 Life and Death) [FINISHED]  (Read 113178 times)
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 05:03:02 PM »

Lookin' hot so far!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Gorgoo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 09:35:16 PM »

SO GAME MAKER FOLKS... there's no way to just collide with tiles, huh?  I have to make like a bazillion objects for my collision detection?  This kinda sucks... I am running it on a 4 year old not so great laptop, and it lags to hell just with a small test level.  I tried to do this deactivate objects outside of the range of the window (or extended past that) but that ends up breaking most of my game because I need things to happen far out of the window at times.  I can't just turn off my solid objects, because then everything outside the window will fall through them.

You can't collide with tiles, but there's a solution that I tend to use: create a square "solid" object the size of your average tile, set 'Visible' to false in the object editor, and place it down on top of the tiles you've set in the room.

Of course, this doesn't work on moving objects, since the tile will stay in place and you'll have a moving invisible platform. For those, if you want, you can use Creation Code (accessible in the room editor by Ctrl + right-clicking an object. It's instance-specific code) to give different objects their own sprites, but you'll have to remember which is which; the room editor won't show you, but it should show up in the game.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 09:40:25 PM »

SO GAME MAKER FOLKS... there's no way to just collide with tiles, huh?  I have to make like a bazillion objects for my collision detection?  This kinda sucks... I am running it on a 4 year old not so great laptop, and it lags to hell just with a small test level.  I tried to do this deactivate objects outside of the range of the window (or extended past that) but that ends up breaking most of my game because I need things to happen far out of the window at times.  I can't just turn off my solid objects, because then everything outside the window will fall through them.

You can't collide with tiles, but there's a solution that I tend to use: create a square "solid" object the size of your average tile, set 'Visible' to false in the object editor, and place it down on top of the tiles you've set in the room.

Of course, this doesn't work on moving objects, since the tile will stay in place and you'll have a moving invisible platform. For those, if you want, you can use Creation Code (accessible in the room editor by Ctrl + right-clicking an object. It's instance-specific code) to give different objects their own sprites, but you'll have to remember which is which; the room editor won't show you, but it should show up in the game.

Unfortunately placing a solid with all the tiles I want to be collidable is not a solution.  Thats exactly the problem.  I have to do this, so I have to create thousands of instances that are just solid objects, and that seems to be a memory hog...  gah.
Gorgoo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 09:44:59 PM »

Unfortunately placing a solid with all the tiles I want to be collidable is not a solution.  Thats exactly the problem.  I have to do this, so I have to create thousands of instances that are just solid objects, and that seems to be a memory hog...  gah.

There's always the Creation Code solution. It'll be unintuitive, since you'll have to check tiles individually on the room editor, but it should (hopefully) solve the memory-hogging problems. At least, I assume that objects take up more space than sprites.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 10:20:29 PM »

Some background crap got done today so far.  I woke up at 5pm so I expect to be working well until 8am this morning!

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 03:17:22 AM »

I wish I had a title for this.

I might have something for the deadline at this rate, wahoo!
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 10:10:43 PM »

VOODOO DOLL ADVENTURES!!!
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 12:26:34 AM »

VOODOO DOLL ADVENTURES!!!

...quite.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 03:42:28 AM »

Anyway.  Here's a shot of THE FIRST ROOM!  This is looking less like a test engine demo and more like a game, now! :D

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 09:36:36 AM »

Really pretty stuff! I love that pink sky with those clouds--nice stuff. Is the font supposed to look like that, though? The V, the R and the N could use some tweaking, if so. Other than those, I really like the font you produced, especially the numerals.

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 02:27:07 PM »

Really pretty stuff! I love that pink sky with those clouds--nice stuff. Is the font supposed to look like that, though? The V, the R and the N could use some tweaking, if so. Other than those, I really like the font you produced, especially the numerals.

The font is a pixel font (Digitalix), and for some reason I just can't get game maker to render it's letters correctly.  The numbers look fine, but I may have to use something else for the text.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2008, 01:40:40 AM »

Oh no, not much following of this thread it seems.  Well, I haven't really said what the game is going to be like... I like to think that I'm doing some rad stuff in this game, but I don't want to say what it is-- I want people to play it to find out!  Anyway, here's a batch of screenshots.  Expect a playable build sometime tomorrow (Friday) close to midnight!

Here's to the end!  Grin
increpare
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2008, 04:06:50 AM »

Oh no, not much following of this thread it seems.
I've been following it...anyway...I look forward to playing it later tonight :D
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2008, 04:08:00 AM »

Oh no, not much following of this thread it seems.
I've been following it...anyway...I look forward to playing it later tonight :D

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT CITIZEN.

I downed like 20 rice krispy treats tonight to get this shit done.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 04:18:48 AM »

I downed like 20 rice krispy treats tonight to get this shit done.

As much fuel as needed, Xerus! I'm also a silent follower of this here thread. Looking dynamite. And very cute.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2008, 08:48:03 AM »

I'm also a silent follower! This looks lush, and I can't wait to play it.

Goooooo Xerus!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2008, 08:52:26 AM »

This looks really awesome Smiley Can't wait!

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2008, 04:04:06 PM »

Final crunch hour is upon me.  Everything is set, you will enjoy 9 levels of .... something.  Anyway, going to do some final testing myself and then post the first build! :D

NEW TITLE

First public build at midnight EST, SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 04:48:45 PM by xerus » Logged
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2008, 07:01:34 PM »

Sexy!  Beer!

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW