Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:27:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookVerge (27 Life and Death) [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
Print
Author Topic: Verge (27 Life and Death) [FINISHED]  (Read 112770 times)
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: January 27, 2009, 11:37:22 AM »

you should have just made the particle clumps into sprites so you wouldn't have to spawn as many

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 28, 2009, 02:02:43 AM »

Hmm.. well, GM has a built in particle system but I never figured out how to make it replicate the effect I get with the sprites.
Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 28, 2009, 12:33:14 PM »

Does it run slow all the time or does it run slow when the fire particles are on the screen?  I tested it on my old laptop and it seemed rather smooth -- I tried to optimize it as much as possible (except for my stupid fire particles) but I guess I can only do so much.

Don't worry, it's an issue that seems to occur in Game Maker games especially on my computer, I just tried Verge on someone else's computer and the game ran fine and smoothly there!

My own computer is an old laptop, so I'm going to search for updated graphics drivers, I suspect my drivers don't support some feature of Game Maker. Currently the game's slow all the time, when the fire particles appear it only adds a little to that.

I'm not really a programmer so I do things in stupid ways most of the time. ;p

I don't agree Wink, the game design in Verge is very smart, so I believe that the structure behind is done in a smart way too.

Phasma Felis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 01, 2009, 05:21:29 PM »

I didn't really get how to shake them even though the icon was in my version. It just shows four direction arrows, so at first I tried some kind of cirle-shake, then a left/right-shake and then a random direction/epilepsy shake. When I saw no instant effect from any of them I gave up, and from that point just runned as hell to one of the portals as soon as they got me. Guess I'm some kind of idiot Shrug
Yeah, that got me too. When I see four arrows in an inverted-T, I think "all the arrow keys", which doesn't work. You need to hammer left, right, and Jump.

Maybe different icons, like LeftArrow-Z-RightArrow, or LeftArrow-UTurnArrow-RightArrow?
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2009, 12:50:16 PM »

Savage

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 19, 2009, 02:25:54 PM »

hellz yeah
Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 08, 2009, 02:04:10 PM »

Does it run slow all the time or does it run slow when the fire particles are on the screen?  I tested it on my old laptop and it seemed rather smooth -- I tried to optimize it as much as possible (except for my stupid fire particles) but I guess I can only do so much.

Don't worry, it's an issue that seems to occur in Game Maker games especially on my computer, I just tried Verge on someone else's computer and the game ran fine and smoothly there!

My own computer is an old laptop, so I'm going to search for updated graphics drivers, I suspect my drivers don't support some feature of Game Maker.

I just wanted to tell that I found out how to increase the speed on my computer. I updated DirectX and reduced the debug output (which I use when I develop games), and remembered I had to try some Game Maker games that had been running slowly, so I tried Verge again and now it runs much more smoothly.

And I can tell for sure you have a really good feeling in the jump movement.

(I looked at the debug output and it was about the Direct3D viewport and a render target, which seems like a Game Maker bug, so maybe only the makers of Game Maker can fix it in the future.)

JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: April 21, 2009, 08:45:43 AM »

Great idea.  Awesome.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 26, 2009, 06:03:22 AM »

It's been awhile.

http://www.kylepulver.com/downloads/verge1.1.zip

Some updates have been made.  No new content, sorry : (

* 1.1c (10/26/2009)
 - Still compo version of the game. Sad
 - Added Level Select.
 - Tweaked some needlessly difficult areas.
 - Changed the ending.  (Still kinda weird!)
 - Eased up on the spikes in some spike tunnel areas.
 - Tweaked the graphics in the underworld areas.
 - Added more audio.
 - Changed enemy placement slightly.
 - Added fullscreen mode. (F4)
 - Changed "Shake off!" graphic.
 - Made Soul Suckers easier to detatch.
 - Adjusted parallax background slightly.
 - Got rid of the timer on the hud.
 - Scrapped the pixel font.

I started making Verge about a year ago... jeez.  How time flies.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic