Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:05:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs"Walkin' Heavy" [prototype] - A wild west puzzle shooter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Walkin' Heavy" [prototype] - A wild west puzzle shooter  (Read 1649 times)
Jamo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2013, 01:58:45 AM »

Current version - http://walkheavy.jamogames.com/

Howdy!

For a games event next tuesday I decided to jam out a quick game idea this week, so I would have something new to show, and so I could test out an idea on a public audience.

The idea is a puzzle shooter, wild west themed! The puzzles come out of how to get through a series of rooms with very limited ammunition or weapons available.

This is a very simple example - The revolver only has 6 bullets, but there are 8 guys in an area, so you can't shoot them all, and your melee attack isn't strong enough to kill them (and they'd kill you first anyway).

However, one of them has a revolver too, so if you shoot two guys, then him, you can take his revolver to defeat the others. This is way simplified compared to what I want to put in later, but it gives you some idea.

I will put up the prototype for people to mess with as it evolves, give feedback etc so I can see if this idea is any good! So any feedback would be good.

Here is a screenshot, it has Doom-like graphics, partly because its quicker to make, partly because removing one axis makes shooting easier so you can concentrate on the puzzles more, and partly cause I think it looks cool.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:26:08 AM by Jamo » Logged

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 03:44:13 AM »

I like it! Is it a first person puzzle game? Do you need to react instantly to stuff happening or will it be a lot of time to think? Personally I don't like puzzle games that require to much timing. I like the thinking part! Smiley

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 04:34:03 AM »

one thing that could be interesting in this game would be a way to pause the execution so you would have more time to think about the puzzle. Perhaps you could only rotate your head when in pause mode so you could evaluate the situation. So you are not always solving under pressure.

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 04:45:28 AM »

Or make it really slow in a Max Payne kind of thing?

coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 04:55:30 AM »

I'm all for systems based on limitation, so the limited ammo sounds great.

If you haven't played it yet, and I hope you have, BLOOD's first level at the mortuary/graveyard/church features a very engaging use of limited and varied weapons/ammo that could be a valuable reference for the project.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 05:40:43 AM »

This is already great!

Love the style, the setting and the premise. I really hope it is really a puzzle, making us think more instead of relying on quick shooting.

Yeah.
Jamo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 06:22:43 AM »

Lots of replies already, thanks!

Yeah it is a first person puzzle game, the Doom camera controls should help to relieve the stress of aiming angles, but I really like the idea of having a slow-down mode to help you line up shots, I could even add an auto aim or something?

I will try to lean it more toward the puzzle solving instead of quick shooting.

Jamo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 07:30:05 AM »

I just uploaded a super rough version here - http://walkheavy.jamogames.com/

The first level is just to get used to controlling and such, there aren't really any puzzle elements. The second level has some basic puzzle stuff, but is also pretty basic.

I need to work on the puzzle element, as well as making it less reliant on shooting skills as some people have flagged up. I'm only going to aim for a few levels, 5 tops for now, just to see if the idea stands up so I can see whether to take it further or not.

Jamo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 01:12:56 AM »

I just uploaded a new version, with some new visual ideas, and improved level design. I'm hoping to add in a few more features and another level today, maybe more if I get time

Jamo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 02:41:51 AM »

I have now added the pause mechanic. Pause whenever you want to asses the situation. While the game is paused, you can still look around, shoot, throw and pickup objects!

Cunnah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 04:20:10 AM »

Looks good.

Have you thought of other mechanics to build on the puzzle element? For example ricochet shots?
Jamo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 05:26:25 AM »

Looks good.

Have you thought of other mechanics to build on the puzzle element? For example ricochet shots?

Yeah that could be cool! I want to try and get as much use as I can out of simple mechanics before I make it more complicated, but I will add it onto the list of things to try

Jamo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 08:05:59 AM »

I added another level showing off the 'pause' mechanic, as well as some visual tweaks. Any feedback would be appreciated, I'm not sure whether to carry on developing this or not when the week is up.

Heres a preview of the new level, it is also playable on the link in the first post! -

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic