Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:42:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOblitus - 2D fantasy action-adventure roguelike
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Oblitus - 2D fantasy action-adventure roguelike  (Read 31301 times)
ConnorUllmann
Level 0

Designer, Artist, Programmer

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:01:31 PM »

Oblitus is a game that I'm currently developing where you play as a creature equipped with shield and spear who is trying to destroy the ancient beasts of the world.  You rise out of the ground beneath a totem, whose origins are unknown, and you make your way through a world full of creatures, big and small, who would destroy you--or who don't care about you one bit.

Promo art by Gabriel Verdon

One of the major inspirations for Oblitus is Dark Souls, which is a game based on difficulty and strategy-based combat in a world with creatures much larger and more intimidating than the player.  Oblitus will be similar in those ways--it will be hard, combat will be heavily centered around patience and strategy, and the creatures the player will face are very large and powerful.

The world will be filled with monsters like this, but in order to make this world feel alive, I want to make it feel as if all of this is very independent of the player; as a world really would be.  The player doesn't have to attack every monster they come across, and there's no set "path" through the world.  Go whichever direction you like and face creatures in any order you find them; some will be harder, and some will be easier, but the decisions are the player's to make.

Early images of night/day in the first area of the game.

I will be consistently updating the tumblr devlog as well as this devlog(about once per day or two) with images, gifs, text, and videos outlining different aspects of Oblitus.  The plan is to release sometime in late-November/early-December, and I'll be working full-time until then.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to share opinions/comments/questions on what you see!

Current project contributors:
Connor Ullmann (design, art, and programming)
Josh Whelchel(music)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:52:08 PM by ConnorUllmann » Logged

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 10:08:34 PM »

Great artwork! Looking forward to following this.

ConnorUllmann
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 10:34:40 PM »

Great artwork! Looking forward to following this.
Thanks!  I'm glad you like the art  Gomez

In other news,

is a video of an interview Noel and I had with Indie Statik while at GDC in March (Noel has since moved on to other projects, sadly!)

Kekskiller
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 01:37:52 AM »

Oh yessss, I'll game the fuck out of every demo or version you release.
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 03:36:38 AM »

I remember Noel posting about this earlier, although it's a pity he moved onto another project, I'll be sure to keep following this.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 05:17:19 AM »

looks great, interesting art style.

dark souls ripoffs are the best ripoffs
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 05:43:17 AM »

Yes please
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »

so how will combat be handled? will it be stamina based like dark souls?

ConnorUllmann
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 02:33:09 PM »

so how will combat be handled? will it be stamina based like dark souls?

There's still a lot to decide in terms of the combat but, as it is currently, the player has one life and no stamina limitations.  This is nice for a few reasons:

• The battles are always tense, because the player can always die at the next moment.
  • The player isn't limited by how many actions they can do in a short span of time.
  • There are no HUD elements to keep track of.

I'm hoping I can keep the HUD extremely clean (hopefully non-existent, as it is now), and I like the other bonuses that come with this.  However, it's not written in stone, so we'll see if it stays.

In other news, I've started a new NPC/Enemy type that I'm currently calling "Villagers" because they live in wooden buildings in the trees of the first area.  I am about to start animating him, but first I had him strike a pose to show here:

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 03:22:24 PM »

yay Spine!

ConnorUllmann
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 03:47:30 PM »

yay Spine!

Yeah, Spine is awesome!  I'm still using an old version (they didn't have runtimes out when I started, so I wrote a ton of stuff to import and manage animations for the Oblitus engine, then they changed how everything is exported, so I stopped updating Sad), but it really is the only reason I moved to using hi-res graphics instead of pixel art.  This is my first time doing any art of this kind for a game!

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 03:52:48 PM »

its a good program, the pose feature is nice to get some good IK, but if they actually added planted keys it would be perfect. It would make feet way easier to do. the other thing I wish it had was skinning. there are somethings like tails that will always look better with a fluid curve instead of having them notched.

ConnorUllmann
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 08:24:38 PM »

its a good program, the pose feature is nice to get some good IK, but if they actually added planted keys it would be perfect. It would make feet way easier to do. the other thing I wish it had was skinning. there are somethings like tails that will always look better with a fluid curve instead of having them notched.

Yeah there are a few ways it would be easier to use (and I know their onion-skinning in newer versions is pretty sweet), but I'm pretty content with it at the moment.

Here's a gif of the Villager dying:

siskavard
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 08:27:06 PM »

Really looking forward to this guys!

I'm curious about your background art. I'm about to start background art on my project. Are you guys using Photoshop?
ConnorUllmann
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 08:36:37 PM »

I'm curious about your background art. I'm about to start background art on my project. Are you guys using Photoshop?

I'm glad you're looking forward to it!  Smiley  I'm using Manga Studio with an Intuos4 tablet, which I'm really liking (for some reason, Photoshop uber-lags on my laptop).  I think when Noel was contributing, he was using Photoshop.

siskavard
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 09:21:07 PM »

I'm glad you're looking forward to it!  Smiley  I'm using Manga Studio with an Intuos4 tablet, which I'm really liking (for some reason, Photoshop uber-lags on my laptop).  I think when Noel was contributing, he was using Photoshop.

Awesome, I've heard great things about Manga Studio.

Are you making your BG art tile-able? Or do you just draw the entire BG? I'm really trying to figure this step out.
ConnorUllmann
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 09:38:55 PM »

Are you making your BG art tile-able? Or do you just draw the entire BG? I'm really trying to figure this step out.

Basically all of the art works as just "Scenery" objects that each have an image attached that is scaled, rotated, and positioned in the custom editor.  For example, here's a grass object that's been scaled and rotated a bit from where it is normally:

So there are scenery objects (trees, rocks, ground, etc.), normal objects (player, enemies, etc.), and colliders (the line along the grass in that picture is part of a polygon that makes up the ground).

The background is made up using a bunch of tree and mountain scenery objects.  Then, in front of that, there are a few layers of other scenery images, all darkened more or less depending on their layer (the 500, 400, ... -400, -500 scale on the side).  Zero is the layer the player is on, -300 is where the grass goes, and 100 is where the trees you can climb on are; this is the last layer that is considered "foreground" for the purposes of the lighting engine, which only lights object/images that are in the foreground of the level.

This is probably a lot more than you asked for, but I figured it couldn't hurt to outline the level editor stuff too Tongue

siskavard
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 09:51:13 PM »

No, this is fantastic, thanks a ton for sharing.

I'm just trying to find the most efficient way to approach my BG art & your way is super efficient

thanks again man!
Conker534
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 09:53:08 PM »

Oh man I like the sound of this
ConnorUllmann
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 02:23:19 AM »

I worked on some new art assets today, and I also added a bunch of stuff to the level editor so that I can add custom variables to objects (like the color of the torches' lights).  The Villager is also coming along, and he has many of his basic animations (walk, run, stand, stand calm, jump up, jump down, hit front, hit back, hit shield, dead front, dead back, etc.)  I'm planning on making him run on all fours when he's far away from the player, which I think will make for a cool effect when I add a bunch of these guys coming at the player.  They're going to be very basic enemies--likely only one hit or so to kill them.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic