Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 10:55:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElysis (Topdown Action Adventure)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Elysis (Topdown Action Adventure)  (Read 95083 times)
tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: August 09, 2014, 01:20:28 PM »

This game looks like it's optimizing for fun.  Plus, it's got an A RPG aspect to it like my game. 

Looking at your screenshots I'm inspired to add multiple loot drops per kill and perhaps more screen shake per hit.  But my game has hordes of enemies so I'm not sure a screen shake per hit would look good or just be annoying.

Also, in my game, when you run into an enemy you might kill it and not see what you picked up.  It looks like you solved this by making the loot explode away from the enemy in a direction that won't land on the hero.  Not sure if the "won't land on the hero" part is intentional or just a coincidence from the screenshot.

I hope you don't mind me relating this back to my game, I feel like it's kind of a rude thing to do.  The game looks great!  Do you plan on making a demo for this?  I'd like to play it if you want feedback. 

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 11, 2014, 06:09:09 AM »

This editor is pretty cool neat.
I've been practicing my tiles too.

That is one cool neat tool you got there!  Wizard

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: August 11, 2014, 08:23:02 AM »

When I first added screenshake, I just tried it as a what if kind of thing.
It turned out really well and then it became a thing.

The loot not landing on the hero was unintentional.

Also, the demo is a constant work in progress.
I've been working on a lot of things recently just to get the demo in a presentable state.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: August 13, 2014, 07:45:37 AM »

@tie - For loot not landing on the hero, you could make it so that there's a timer to pick it up, or you have to press a separate button to pick it up.

@Fervir - Keep going, man! I know there's a lot of work to get a demo out. Nice editor, yeah. I think the dark burgundy of the rock wall tiles could mesh more with the black, but that's just a small nitpick.

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: August 16, 2014, 04:25:30 PM »

This game looks really rad ^_^

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: August 25, 2014, 04:11:15 PM »

Demo!

Features
2.7 dungeons with puzzles and treasures.
2 Boss fights.
20+ Weapons / Usable items
30+ Addons
20+ Monsters
Customizable controls

Click to download!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:19:57 PM by Fervir » Logged

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: August 25, 2014, 07:44:53 PM »

Awesome! I'll check it out soon.

Ticebilla
Level 0

Do Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: August 25, 2014, 11:22:16 PM »

This is great. Seriously.

moonbear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 26, 2014, 01:23:00 AM »

I played the demo and I have to say that I love it!  Hand Money Left Mock Anger Hand Money Right
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: September 09, 2014, 03:13:29 PM »

Things have been pretty slow recently.
But I've been working on the game.
I've been adding support for different resolutions.
So far it's only integer scaling with black bars on the sides.
Fullscreen is definitely possible now though.

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: September 28, 2014, 11:42:26 PM »

Finally had a little play with it, the movement is a lot nicer, I'm glad the sprint was removed.
It feels weird that I can't move while attacking and a lot of the attacks feel slower than they need to be due to that.

I think the combos would work better if they were just a pressing the button repeatedly, not like the alternate combos in Devil May Cry where you go "press button > wait > press button again"

When you pick up a weapon and there's an empty slot, it'd be nice if the item was auto equipped.

What are all the little items that drop on the floor? They are tiny and there's so many of them, all I can really identify is the heart.
They add a lot of clutter and really just reduce the amount of health available if I need to heal in some way.

Is there any menu to save or look at stats? +1 to intelligence means nothing if I have no idea what my current intelligence is, neither does levelling up.
The number need a context to make any sense, otherwise they are meaningless.

Using items is also way louder than everything else, so it doesn't sound right.
There also seems to be some audio clicking while playing.

Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 30, 2014, 05:17:01 AM »

I should post my feedback here instead of untagged on Twitter.

So, first off, the game is amazingly fun. I think you've gotten a Zelda focused on combat down way better than Capcom did in the handheld games. A ton of different gadgets and then ways to upgrade/downgrade them on the fly is slating this to essentially be the Hyrule Warriors of handhelds.

Second, I'm going to get in-depth on my experience and feelings on how I optimized. Specifically, my setup when I got to the wizrobe trio was Flame Laser Epee, Unmodded Shield (I'll talk about this), Homing Splitting Antipode Boomerang, Pinning Hookshot, and the Health Potion. I had a Velocity Shield and tried it out, but it reduced the rate I could spam it when I pin/freeze an enemy, so it didn't feel optimal. I was hoping Ring of Return + Homing would make the Boomerang home in and then start circling me when it was all done, but Ring of Return only kicked in if there weren't any enemies to begin with, so I had to drop it. I tried out the Boots and they didn't feel very satisfying like Pegasus Boots usually are, but the Ball and Chain felt really nice.

Okay, that wall is done. Gonna close up with a few miscellaneous things.
  • I couldn't figure out how to save, if I even could. There's a MainSave file, so I figured it autosaved...oops.
  • My main gripe with the Ball 'n' Chain is that grass will stop it and, honestly, I think most things should just sweep through the grass in one trip.
  • I found this through a tumblr post, so maybe there were some disclaimers about unfinished bosses that I missed, because defeating the Wizards made a puzzle solving sound but accomplished nothing. I couldn't even leave the dungeon because of a one-way puzzle.

I think that's all. Looking forward to future builds of this game. Take it easy Smiley
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: September 30, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »

Running feedback:

- There should be a way to get back to the main menu.  I started the game and then had to quit out and start again to reset my controls (and if there is a way to get back to the main menu, it should be more obvious.  Esc should either take you there or open a pause menu that can take you there)

-Combat feels really great and snappy

- Sound effects could use a bit of work.  For lack of a better word, they sound a bit "wet".

- Pixel-perfect collision on things like trees is a bit weird for a game like this, makes it feel like you're getting caught on edges more often.  Either give things rectangular collision boxes, or make it so the player can sort of slide if they're walking against an angled edge.

- Nice enemy variety

- This is kind of both a good and a bad thing, but it was very easy to get lost.  That's not so much the problem as much as I wasn't really sure where I was supposed to be going.  First I explored the overworld a bit, and then I explored the dungeon a bit, and found some items but didn't really have a specific goal other than wandering and fighting whatever got in my way.  I liked that the game gave me the leeway to do that, and I really liked that I could easily walk into areas with really tough monsters, but I would have liked to have that exploration have more of a sense of purpose.

- It was kind of annoying to have that spotlight effect present for the entire game (except for the flashes of lightning).  It made it harder to get my barings and it meant I ended up always staring at a small bit of the screen.  I think I would have preferred if the game was more zoomed in so that the circle of light took up almost the entire screen.

Anyway, all in all the game is looking like it's coming along really nicely.  I look forward to future builds.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: October 05, 2014, 09:50:34 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
I really appreciate it and have taken notes on everything that was said.

Some thoughts
There was no way to get into the main menu from in game, fixed in the current version.
There was an alternate route to get back to the beginning of the dungeon with the wizards at the end, it's a more difficult route.

And now for the progress (No new demo yet)
The game can be played in fullscreen and saving is now possible, so now you have all the time to check out what shops have to offer without having to restart the game every time.
There were a lot of bug fixes and polishing up of enemy behaviors and interactions with objects.
Also, there were a bunch of bugs fixed because of the fullscreen support overhaul.
Change in aspect ratio from 4:3 to something close to 16:9 so that more of today's screens ends up being used.

After spending a bunch of time on bug fixing, I've been easing into messing around with the mechanics.
Here are two new mechanics for the bow, strafing and charging shots, both which will probably be their own addons.

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: October 05, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »

I love those dummies for target practice. Did you make those specifically for your own testing purposes or are those going to be in the game?

my twitter. my itch.io page.
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: October 05, 2014, 03:11:44 PM »

At first it was just for me.
But they'll be in the game so you can test out your layouts

phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: October 06, 2014, 02:32:30 AM »

This project is really looking good!

Cant wait to see it finished Smiley

Beta Coming Soon!
Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: October 06, 2014, 04:40:13 AM »

That's neat-- I think that shows how much love and also how much fun you are putting in and getting out of development. In my case my targets for testing out weapons are just squares that disappear when hit.

my twitter. my itch.io page.
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: October 06, 2014, 09:06:30 AM »

Tried the demo and really enjoyed it. Loved the tone, the gameplay and the general look. The only thing that was kind of "off" for me (but still worked, so, no biggie) was the music. Anyway, this will be a great game. It is already.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: October 10, 2014, 02:37:51 PM »

Project SpookyQuest turns two today.
Yay

Thanks to my soundbro @Iyashi_kei for making this.

Still going strong

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic