Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:00:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElysis (Topdown Action Adventure)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Elysis (Topdown Action Adventure)  (Read 94240 times)
tuglaw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: August 26, 2015, 03:11:35 AM »

Might be that both backgrounds and characters are a bit too dark. Perhaps brightening and saturating the characters would fix it.

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: August 26, 2015, 03:19:56 PM »

The monster designs and particle effects are really killer. I'll be keeping my eye on this.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: August 26, 2015, 03:39:37 PM »

Dark you say?!?
Well, there's this.

I've also been working on interactions with NPCs.
Their dialogue can change now if you do something in another area.
Example, opening a chest that has a sign next to it that says do not open triggers an NPC somewhere else in the game to complain that people don't take signs seriously and that he feels bad for whoever grabbed the cursed item inside.
You can also now have more than 2 dialogue responses to NPC questions (was limited to 2 like yes or no), which means more writing for me I can make NPCs have more varied dialogue or explain more things?
And finally those choices or dialogues are able to trigger world events, which are the same as dungeon events in my map maker, so, things like unlocking new areas, new NPC dialogues, and spawning treasures or monsters are possible by talking to NPCs.

So pretty much this can happen
1.)Open cursed chest
2.)Receive cursed item
3.)NPC realizes cursed item is gone
4.)You ask NPC to help
5.)He drops a key that unlocks an area
6.)Go to side area in dungeon
7.)Fight boss at end
8.)Boss rewards you with an item to counter the curse

I don't have any cursed or counter curse items though.

This is all important to the story parts of the game, which I've maybe mentioned that I'm working on for each area, along with the area designs. It's all stuff that influences each other.

Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 26, 2015, 04:02:47 PM »

this is going to be Link to the Past gameplay with Thousand-Year Door dialogue and I can't wait for this to live
Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: August 27, 2015, 12:38:35 PM »

Oooh, this is cool. Following.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #405 on: August 27, 2015, 03:14:55 PM »

Some melee weapons that I've been reworking.
Decided to throw some extra stuff in there.
The idea is to try and make each weapon feel different, with different attack types, normal attacks, forward attacks, charge attacks, charge forward attacks.
Pretty much have the systems in place, just gotta tweak some things around, optimize, then do animations.

qwertyhim513
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 27, 2015, 04:25:50 PM »

Lookin good. Smiley You could also vary the amount of stamina used per swing. Each weapon could also shift your character different distances per swing.Some could have charged attacks similar to the Monster Hunter franchise.If you want to add even more flair you could add status effects Tongue bleed, slow,stun, and such.

I'll just humbly drop some inspirational pics for your entertainment. Gentleman
hooksword
whipsword
katar
Egyptian khopesh
Some other ideas that don't really require pics.
-pitchfork/trident
-scythe
-warhammers

Anyways.. can't wait to see more fluid and interesting combat Smiley Cheers Beer!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:30:56 PM by qwertyhim513 » Logged
SunWuKong
Level 5

Help me, help you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: August 27, 2015, 04:28:34 PM »

Really great art and everything is looking so nice. Marked on my list and I will be following the progress. Best of luck!

-Tim

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: August 27, 2015, 04:51:46 PM »

Yeah, I've already got stamina per swing set up and recently I've been experimenting on distance moved per swing.
Charged attacks are already in (just need to do some tweaking and animating), and I've got some status effects already.
For the most part, I've already decided on what the weapons will be, but I might sub out the spear for the trident, that really changes how that weapon works.
Maybe swap out the morning star with something like a warhammer cause it kinda looks lame right now.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: August 28, 2015, 12:02:46 AM »

Just want to say it looks really great. I love the artwork. Smiley
pixelballoon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: August 28, 2015, 01:48:14 AM »

Wow, I just love seeing the long running devlogs like this one. The progress from the start to the latest updates are incredible.

The new art style is definitely a vast improvement on the earlier ones (even from a few pages ago). The autumnal/fire tree scene in particular is fantastic.

I also really like the way the damage numbers fly out with a velocity rather than just floating upwards like they normally do. Do they fly quicker/further based on the quantity of damage?

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: August 28, 2015, 06:06:05 AM »

I also really like the way the damage numbers fly out with a velocity rather than just floating upwards like they normally do. Do they fly quicker/further based on the quantity of damage?

Nah, it's always the same

Anyways, I added something awesome, a backstep mechanic.
You can use it to cancel melee weapon attacks midswing.
Paired together with charge attacks it makes combat furiously fast and dynamic.
I'm pretty pleased with this.

Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 28, 2015, 07:44:10 AM »

Hey stopping by to say I really like the new backstep! It seems like it really adds a lot. Is it just a separate button?
I really like what you are doing here though!

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: August 28, 2015, 07:49:05 AM »

It is the same button as roll, but you don't hold down a direction when you press it.

qwertyhim513
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 28, 2015, 09:10:30 AM »

In that first gif... there are parts where it looked like the character can walljump though it's just an uppercut Big Laff. Great to see more combat mechanics Smiley. Is there a possiblity of adding a jumping mechanic later down the line? Cheers  Beer!
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: August 28, 2015, 02:18:30 PM »

i saw a chicken in that melee weapon screenshot. i want to throw chickens at people/slap them in the face with a chicken. make this a thing, i beg you XD

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
yanneyanen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: August 28, 2015, 03:28:04 PM »

The backstep looks great! I almost want to implement something similar to my own game now :D

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: August 28, 2015, 03:35:46 PM »

In that first gif... there are parts where it looked like the character can walljump though it's just an uppercut Big Laff. Great to see more combat mechanics Smiley. Is there a possiblity of adding a jumping mechanic later down the line? Cheers  Beer!
I didn't plan on it at first, but I've been finding that the more stuff I add to the game, the more feasible it's looking to add jumping in. I'd have to really sit down and mess around with it to see how it works out in game in the future.

i saw a chicken in that melee weapon screenshot. i want to throw chickens at people/slap them in the face with a chicken. make this a thing, i beg you XD
Haha, I think the game you're looking for is Chicken Sword

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 28, 2015, 03:50:50 PM »

Ooooouuuhh backstep looks mighty fine Fervir. As everything you do.

Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 28, 2015, 04:26:20 PM »

maybe jumping could be just rolling up enemies/walls/blocks (a sub item) and kicking off of them?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic