Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 11:28:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookInsomnia [Finished]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Insomnia [Finished]  (Read 39092 times)
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2008, 10:30:54 PM »

This is my entry Insomnia. It is based off CPB entry 23.

23 The man who would not sleep—dares not sleep—takes drugs to keep himself awake.
   Finally falls asleep—and something happens. Motto from Baudelaire p. 214. [Hypnos]

Here is a sample screen shot.

This project was started 10/24/08 and currently most of the art is place holders.

The game play is pretty much implimented. I hope to spend the rest of the compo adding eye candy and refigning the design.

Updates will be posted here.

Download Latest version Here: http://www.monkeydev.com/insomnia/index.htm
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 12:45:54 AM by hamster » Logged

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
N
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 04:09:03 AM »

Very interesting idea! Smiley
My opinion from playing:
* Some intro/background story will turn the game more interesting (I believe you're already working on this;D, just pointing out) because even if the climbing concept is very nice and fun it's rather pointless to just climb and climb Beer!
* The low jumps are a little clumsy sometimes (or maybe it's just me)
* The grabbing is a very cool feature but it didn't help me as I think it was supposed to... it only led me to failure: after grabbing walls the release-jumps are too low... maybe if they were higher they'd be really helpful (but then again, maybe it's just me)

and also, this is probably a bug (or a debug leftover hehe)... but as in the oct/27 version you can set the man's position with the mouse: you point with it desired position and *click*... there goes the man!/o/

Beer! Gentleman
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 07:46:25 AM »

@ N
I am going to try and work in a win condition (ie reaching the top of the tower). The sleepier you get the less effectivly you can jump, so that wall hook manuver probably didn't work for you because you were too tired. I appoligise for the low jump thing the levels are randomly generated so some times the game will stick you in an impossible situation. But hey it is Lovecraft. What did you expect?

Any way thanks for playing. Gentleman

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 08:17:09 AM »

Tried this out! I think I agree with most of N's comments. Biggest problem at the moment, I'd say is just the controls - Space is a bad action key for a lot of keyboards because it can conflict with the arrow keys, causing a keyboard error beep (as it does on my magical, wonderful laptop). Use Z instead! Or if you don't like it yourself for whatever reason, maybe offer a choice to the player?

Also, you should include msvcr70.dll - I had to go download it...

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 08:56:48 AM »

Does Ctrl or Alt conflict with arrows? I was going to include game pad support but that coded is faulty right now.

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 10:56:07 PM »

I have uploaded a new build, it features:
* Slightly different movement physics allowing for more precise movement.
* Narrowing of the play space to induce claustrophobia and give the impression of climbing a light house.
* A bottom and a top to the light house.
* Play balancing fixes.

Download at: http://www.monkeydev.com/insomnia/

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 11:06:25 PM »

I have changed the post tag to say "Artist Needed" because I realize I Suck at choosing colors. I am not asking for some one to do all the sprite work for this project. As you will notice much of the existing sprite work is serviceable if bland.

What I need is for some one to pick a color scheme. I am more than happy coloring in all the one color sprites with something more aesthetically pleasing. So if you want to lend a hand, download the project and rummage around the sprites in the “Data” folder. Don't touch anything with the word "Mask" on it, since that is vital to the game's logic. Just do a mock up of some of the sprites of the character, background and platforms. If I like your color choices I will be more than happy to redraw the project in your color scheme.

All I can offer is a name in the credits and my gratitude.

N
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 07:10:18 AM »

It's got a lot better now!:)
As for me:
* The the jump's horizontal speed should be a little higher
* The camera could start a little slower and then increase the speed, reaching the actual version's
* It's still hard to reach the top (at least for me)
* The mouse trick is still working Well, hello there!

Keep it going man!

Beer! Gentleman

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 08:16:32 AM »

I don't think that's so much a bug or trick as it is a developer tool.

Anyway, just gave it a shot... it's quite challenging.  I don't know if I like the super floatiness of the jumping, but since I only played with it for a couple of minutes it's too early to tell.  Also it seems that the screen scrolls upwards a little too fast.

At any rate, I can't get to the top (or anywhere near the top) without cheating Tongue.

tweet tweet @j_younger
N
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 10:34:44 AM »

I don't think that's so much a bug or trick as it is a developer tool.
I'm sure of that too, just pointing out. Beer!
Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 10:08:22 PM »

I have changed the post tag to say "Artist Needed" because I realize I Suck at choosing colors. I am not asking for some one to do all the sprite work for this project. As you will notice much of the existing sprite work is serviceable if bland.

What I need is for some one to pick a color scheme. I am more than happy coloring in all the one color sprites with something more aesthetically pleasing. So if you want to lend a hand, download the project and rummage around the sprites in the “Data” folder. Don't touch anything with the word "Mask" on it, since that is vital to the game's logic. Just do a mock up of some of the sprites of the character, background and platforms. If I like your color choices I will be more than happy to redraw the project in your color scheme.

All I can offer is a name in the credits and my gratitude.

I'd like to know what material you want the plaforms made of, wood? Metal? Mosaic? Concrete?

mirosurabu
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 04:59:20 AM »

Ah, I suck at this one. I can't get used to low-gravity. Lips Sealed

Interesting, nevertheless.
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 10:31:49 AM »

I'd like to know what material you want the plaforms made of, wood? Metal? Mosaic? Concrete?

I want this to take place in a 1900's light house in the midle of the night. So probably brick work for the background and Wooden beams and boards to make up the platforms. Perhaps iron work railings and loose chords of rope would also be appropriate for the time and atmosphere.

What I usualy have trouble with is picking colors that go together and yet contrast enough so that the active game objects are distinguisable from the background.

If you want just take a screen shot and do a photoshop mockup of the color pallete you think the game should have. I can copy and paste the colors from the mockup into the final sprites. Keep in mind I am using "Magic Pink" for my alpha layer so I will not be able to do the nice blending effects.

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 11:34:31 AM »

Nice! Some things I came across-
-Jumping and landing directly on a power-up seems to make the character slide over it.
-Rising and falling speeds are very similar, it's a bit sluggish to control. Sometimes I wished I would fall faster, so it would give me a chance to try again. Right now, a fall too close to the bottom means inevitable death(the screen rises also almost as fast as the character), which is too bad, because I kind of like that underdog feeling, of being down in the 'danger zone'.
-I add some difficulty in knowing what each power up did (I could see the circle grow a bit, but maybe some color feedback, or even a +1 bonus sign rising over the character would help)
That's it, but really nice overall.
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 12:14:27 PM »

Hey, not sure if anyone has responded about the graphics, but I think I'd be willing to help, seeing as I don't have any motivation to create a game solo, and I don't have the time to develop my own idea.

Let me know what you need/when you need it/restrictions etc and I will see what I can do. Let me know.
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 01:58:09 PM »

Ok I ahve uploaded a new build to: http://www.monkeydev.com/insomnia/

The new build features sounds effects and music made by Anthony Curry

It also has place holder victory and defeat screens.

It fixes the "Low Gravity" problem by doubling the Gravity and increasing the initial Jump speed.

If this is too easy let me know. I can decrease jump speed, increse the rate at which sleepyness catches up with you, decrease the ammount of druggs that fall from the sky, or chainge the length of the game by makeing the tower taller.

@Mr. Trianglehead and any one else who wants to do art: I will remove "Artist Needed" from the header when I have the art resouces I need. I may not choose to incorporate the art you submit but I will be greatful for it none the less.

policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 02:07:03 PM »

I totally dig this, but it's just too hard for casuals like me!  Cry
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 02:08:30 PM »

Ah, much nicer.  The movement seems very suitable now.  I still haven't made it to the top, but at least now it seems like I could, if I practiced a little.  Which is right where a game's difficulty should be, I think.

And the sound is very nice Smiley

There's just one little thing left that's bugging me:  the tops of ladders. I seem to keep falling through them at odd times.  It doesn't seem to be all the time though, so I really don't know what's up.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 02:11:37 PM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 02:11:32 PM »

@Mr. Trianglehead and any one else who wants to do art: I will remove "Artist Needed" from the header when I have the art resouces I need. I may not choose to incorporate the art you submit but I will be greatful for it none the less.

That doesn't seem like a very good way to ask for help... WTF

Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 02:29:22 PM »

I may not choose to incorporate the art you submit but I will be greatful for it none the less.
A good challengue, the artwork is small and not bound to much detail, it'll be fun to try my luck.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic