Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:26:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThief Story
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Author Topic: Thief Story  (Read 77551 times)
Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2014, 06:19:59 AM »

Just saw that too, lol. Gotta love good ole RPS!

0x78
Level 0

?

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2014, 06:37:13 AM »

Looks awesome. Love the art style.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2014, 08:30:44 AM »

So awesome! Smiley

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2014, 05:08:17 PM »

>not posting full HD version

It's like you want this game to bomb.

(← new art twitter)
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2014, 05:10:58 PM »

LOL

Buzzwerd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2014, 06:13:55 PM »

LOL
As a newcomer, this is the first thing I saw. I probably should've started on the first page.  Cry

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2014, 01:07:14 AM »

I've been busy building the cash register interface for displaying all the loot you collected to pawn for cash. Obviously you won't be stealing 40 beds for $99999 each, but you get the idea... Smiley

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2014, 01:56:01 AM »

I love that title screen so much.

Beaulamb1992
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2014, 02:12:48 AM »

That cash register!.... blew me away  My Word!

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2014, 02:18:02 AM »

Great job with the foldy effect! However I'm noticing the screen needs confetti, let me correct that.
(For the record, I have nothing to do with programming-based animations, scrolling rhythms, 3D stuff, particles... That's all Konidias here.)

(← new art twitter)
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: March 12, 2014, 02:48:20 AM »

Sooo beautiful... I wish i'd known stealing beds could be so profitable....

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2014, 10:52:38 AM »

Normally I tend to find devlogs via TIGS directly but in this case RPS sent me. Looks great! Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2014, 11:28:16 AM »

> HD pixel-art butt

Well, guess I'll have to follow this thread now.
Metronome49
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2014, 02:27:33 PM »

This looks amazing. First feeling I had from the art was a Mother 3 sort of vibe.
denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: March 15, 2014, 08:56:56 PM »

Not only is this game's art gorgeous, but also very memorable; whenever I see you post on another thread, I recognize the art in your icon and signature immediately.

wearepinata
Level 0

Piñata Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: March 16, 2014, 04:35:03 AM »

The artwork is awesome in this game! Love the style and the colour palette is especially nice Smiley

Piñata Games
Facebook // Twitter

We made Tamak and Magnetix
mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: March 16, 2014, 07:40:55 AM »

This looks awesome! Love the color palette and art style, also the stealing mechanic is a fun idea.  Very cool and lots of personality!

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2014, 09:54:58 AM »

Thanks everyone! Smiley

The game is making steady progress. Been busy working on a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff, so no pictures to post today!

I've been working mostly on the AI for the citizens in the game. I made some changes to their movement behavior... mainly, they will never make a 180 degree rotation. Since I want the player to be able to sneak around behind people, it makes it feel really cheap if the citizen just instantly turns around completely and catches you. So a simple fix was to just make sure they can only turn at 90 degree angles. Since the random movement has the citizen idling for at least 1 second per direction, this means the player has a moment to stay behind the citizen at all times.

Essentially if you manage to sneak up behind a citizen, you should be able to successfully stalk them for as long as you want (as long as you are in sneak mode and keep moving behind them as they turn)

Other than being fun to sneak behind them undetected, it also serves a purpose. If you can sneak behind a citizen close enough, you can pick-pocket them. Smiley There is a great little pick-pocketing mini-game that I've been mocking up which will allow you to sneakily steal items off of citizens. Like stealing their house keys to unlock any door in their house instantly, or stealing their cellphone. So even if they spot you, they can't call police. Wink

Aside from that little fix, I've been spending a chunk of time adding in various AI behaviors such as sleeping, panicking, calling 9-1-1, and setting up the systems for pathfinding when needed. I've also been extensively working on the cone of sight and line of sight stuff, as that's a pretty integral part of the gameplay.

I've actually come up with a solution for avoiding the permadeath thing too, but I'll discuss that later maybe. Smiley

Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: April 09, 2014, 10:18:45 AM »

Have you read the GDD for MGS2? It goes into some really interesting detail on AI and how to make convincing security guards (the whole sweep system). I'm also curious if the civilians have different financial values, eg. someone well dressed vs. goodwill clothes and having distinct amounts of money on hand. The amount of money, however, would be your own commentary on wealth vs appearances Tongue
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: April 09, 2014, 10:29:40 AM »

Haven't read that, I'll look into it! Smiley

Civilians will definitely have different financial situations... Some will appear to be wealthy or poor but I'll make sure that it's not always the case. Tongue

Each civilian will be able to carry up to 4 different items. Most everyone will have a cellphone. (who doesn't nowadays?) and then they will have a variety of items such as cash, watches, jewelry... even gum wrappers.  Smiley Hand Money Right

I've been thinking of some other fun items for them to carry. Maybe some might carry items that reveal information about them... like a lady carrying around a picture of her cat, or a guy carrying a flask or something. I think it could be fun to possibly have certain rare loot appear on people as well, stuff to collect for completionist purposes or for side missions or something.

If anyone has ideas for loot in the game, feel free to share! I have a pretty extensive list but I'm sure there is a lot of stuff I'm missing.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic