Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:52:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDaedalus - No Escape [released on steam]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Daedalus - No Escape [released on steam]  (Read 17139 times)
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »

i see nothing, im gonna try what you told me as well, ill edit this when ive got the rest.
Last login: Sun Jul 14 16:41:17 on ttys000
Connor-Heightons-MacBook-Air:~ cjheighton$ ls -la | grep .shoot
drwxr-xr-x    3 cjheighton  staff    102  6 Jul 15:56 .shoot
Connor-Heightons-MacBook-Air:~ cjheighton$ more .shoot/0.1.4/daedalus.log
[360][Config] loading config file: /Users/cjheighton/.shoot/0.1.4/config.xml
[476][GameStateManager] init ...
[489][WindowManager] init ...
[495][WindowManager] - Selected mode: 1366 x 768 x 32 @0Hz
[737][GL] using ARB OpenGL framebuffer object ...
[937][ScreenInfo] init ...
[937][SoundSystem] init ...
[957][SoundSystem]
[957][SoundSystem] Starting up SoundSystem...
[1177][SoundSystem] Initializing LWJGL OpenAL
[1177][SoundSystem]     (The LWJGL binding of OpenAL.  For more information, see http://www.lwjgl.org)
[1993][SoundSystem] OpenAL initialized.
[1996][SoundSystem]
[2006][ResourcesLoader] reading filesystem folder: /Users/cjheighton/Downloads/daedalus 4.app/Contents/MacOS/res/sound/music/ingame
[2006][ResourcesLoader] reading filesystem folder: /Users/cjheighton/.shoot/res/sound/music/ingame
[2006][InputManager] init ...
[2101][TextureRes] Loaded [GLOBAL]/fonts/NeoGen.png : true - (1024x1024) - 1
[2207][TextureRes] Loaded [GLOBAL]/fonts/Arial.png : true - (512x512) - 2
[2310][TextureRes] Loaded [GLOBAL]/fonts/JetSetBase.png : true - (1024x1024) - 3
[2408][TextureRes] Loaded [GLOBAL]/fonts/JetSetBaseBold.png : true - (1024x1024) - 4
[2497][TextureRes] Loaded [GLOBAL]/fonts/JetSet.png : true - (1024x1024) - 5
[2520][LightingEngine] init ...
[2560][TextureRes] Loaded [GLOBAL]/textures/core/light/lightmap-point2-512.png : true - (512x512) - 6
[2603][TextureRes] Loaded [GLOBAL]/textures/core/lightmap-flashlight.png : false - (512x512) - 7
[2641][Shader] shader created: a: /shaders/baseTex.vert - /shaders/black.frag
[2647][Shader] shader created: j: /shaders/baseTex.vert - /shaders/wallBleed.frag
[2652][FBO] creating FBO 341 x 192 - stencil: false
[2671][FBO] FBO created - texId:8
[2671][FBO] creating FBO 341 x 192 - stencil: false
[2673][FBO] FBO created - texId:9
[2679][Shader] shader created: b: /shaders/baseTex.vert - /shaders/blurh.frag
[2685][Shader] shader created: d: /shaders/baseTex.vert - /shaders/blurv.frag
[2685][FBO] creating FBO 683 x 384 - stencil: true
[2721][FBO] FBO created - texId:10 - depthTexId: 11
[2721][FBO] creating FBO 683 x 384 - stencil: true
[2736][FBO] FBO created - texId:12 - depthTexId: 13
[2741][LightingEngine] init end ...
[2742][GameStatusMessageManager] init ...
[2785][Engine] starting loop
[2789][Scene] - INTRO - init
:
wait, that looks like it works from what i see in the log... so why doesnt images show up?

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
deathpat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »

@Rayiner: cool thanks for trying Wink

@rivon: thanks !

@Connor: that's indeed a good question Smiley You're sure you're really at the end of the file ? ( you should press space/enter many times to get to the end ) At this stage normally I'm reading the list of maps from the jar files. It should not be stuck there as after that it should load the menu, and the music begins to play only when the menu loads.

But what bothers me is that you don't even see a black screen. The black screen should appear at the same time as "[495][WindowManager] - Selected mode: 1366 x 768 x 32 @0Hz" in the log ... so after half a second.

Do you have a particular setup of screen ? like an extra screen plugged in your laptop ? if yes can you try to unplug it ?

To me it seems to be a bug of the library I'm using to create the display ( LWJGL ). I know that the display for mac OSX has been completely recoded from scratch in the last version of LWJGL so it can explain that some bugs could exist ... I'll try to search this way Smiley

And by the way do you know what version of OSX you're running ?

EDIT: a good number of fixes for MacOSX have been done in the latest LWJGL nightly builds .. so I'll update the version I'm using to the latest build and post a new version of the game here soon Wink
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:59:41 PM by deathpat » Logged

check my work in progress D A E D A L U S
deathpat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »

Hi,

here's a build using the latest LWJGL nightly build. Connor, can you please try it ? If it still does not work I will open a bug report to LWJGL.

http://www.daedalus-thegame.com/download/0.2.4/daedalus-macosx-0.2.4.tar.gz

Thanks !

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 04:22:53 PM »

just did. wholy crap this is the funnest thing i have ever played.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 07:22:38 PM »

This looks awesome. Will try it out.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 04:52:38 PM »

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:03:30 PM by Connor » Logged

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

billyboob
Level 0

Kitty

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 07:12:20 PM »

Is ridiculous good. Anyone down under keen for some online team dm?
Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 08:03:32 PM »

sure, whats the ip?

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2013, 09:04:22 PM »

heres a video i made on the game :D hope you dont mind the loud noises.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

deathpat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 01:58:47 AM »

heres a video i made on the game :D hope you dont mind the loud noises.

That's really cool ! It's very interesting to see someone else play my game so thanks a lot for posting this Wink

To answer the things to improve:
- the shield default frequency is 30 seconds right now, but shields are not present in all the maps because a lot of maps you see have been made before implementing shields. The ones with shields are dm8, dm16, dm17 and dm18 from what I remember. Then the frequency is adjustable per map so it's something that needs tweaking depending on the map and the number of shields in the map.
- yep, power ups will come Smiley
- to change your name, you can go in options->player. You can change your name in the main menu only, not during the game.
- to adjust the volume of the sound, you can go in options->sound

Also in the video you're wondering what is the highscore solo mode. It's not implemented yet
but the idea is that you will choose one map + one skill level. The game will be deathmatch but every shot or damage you give or take, your final rank, the time it took you to finish the map and so on .. will give you a score. So the goal is to make the highest score possible, it will be uploaded to a central database if internet is available so that you can compare with the other players. Smiley

Otherwise I'm currently trying to put up an official alpha demo that I'll post on steam. It will have only one map, but there will be some internet servers available ( I mean real ones, not my home server Smiley ).

cheers

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 09:14:34 AM »

wow, looks like you have planned every little detail for this :O

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2013, 03:59:48 PM »

alrighty, did a half hour recording session:

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

deathpat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 08:14:40 AM »

cool, thanks for taking the time to do this Wink

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 06:48:43 PM »

Yo dude, I tried this game. It's pretty fun, and the graphics are nice. One thing I would really like for you to change is to place the man in the center of the screen. Otherwise, it's too hard to see if people are shooting you from behind.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2013, 08:06:55 PM »

yo, any updates on the game atm?

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

deathpat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 08:55:29 AM »

Yo dude, I tried this game. It's pretty fun, and the graphics are nice. One thing I would really like for you to change is to place the man in the center of the screen. Otherwise, it's too hard to see if people are shooting you from behind.

hi, there are other control modes available in the options where the player is more centered in the screen. Otherwise for the FPS control mode ( the default one ), it's actually done on purpose. The idea is that you should have the same kind of field of view as in a FPS, so not beeing able to see behind you is quite logical as you don't have eyes behind your head :D
Then when somebody shoots you, you should see impacts + blood on your player and you have a red "border" around the screen.
I will certainly add in the future screams of pain also Smiley

yo, any updates on the game atm?

nope, I'm actually waiting for a dedicated server to be delivered in order to publish an official demo. I stopped the dev meanwhile as I would like to know the players feedback before continuing. Also I will stop to publish alpha versions of the game after the demo because they will get too close to the final release in term of features ... and I would like to sell my game Smiley I already discovered a bunch of websites that distribute the versions I've posted here as "Free game" Smiley

But I wiil continue to post videos and screenshots to show the progress Wink

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 08:34:39 PM »

sweet, good to know. also, why is it that the game doesnt run when im in school (on my break) but it does when im at home?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:23:19 AM by Connor » Logged

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 06:41:11 AM »

Hey, why does the map that I created crash the game when I'm supposed to spawn?
http://www.filedropper.com/cbpit

Other than that, the game is awesome! I don't see myself paying for it though.
Not freeware? pirate; frankly.
deathpat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 03:54:40 PM »

sweet, good to know. also, why is it that the game doesnt run when im in school (on my break) but it does when im at home?

maybe you plug it on sector at home and not at school ? If it's the case, maybe your mac is switching the graphics card to a kind of "degraded" mode that prevents the game to run ... just a supposition though

Hey, why does the map that I created crash the game when I'm supposed to spawn?
http://www.filedropper.com/cbpit

Other than that, the game is awesome! I don't see myself paying for it though.
Not freeware? pirate; frankly.

the weapon in the center of the map is not accessible. A corridor or space between 2 walls should be at least 2 squares wide for the player to circulate.
In the final version of the editor you will be able to validate the map so that you know if there is an issue.
And no not freeware Smiley I have some difficulties working on a game for 2 years and then just giving it away for free ... knowing that renting servers is not free ...
There will be no ads, no paying DLC and no DRM on the game so I think it's fair enough Wink

EDIT: By the way I like a lot the colors of your map Wink
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:59:42 PM by deathpat » Logged

soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2013, 01:42:45 PM »

Hey,

Making the middle weapon accessible also solved the crashing issues. I guess that if the AI tries to pathfind it's way to somewhere it can't get to, the whole damn thing crashes on top of it? I think that this should be addressed.
Anyway, I fixed the map. (See links later in this page)

I'm glad to hear that you liked the color of my map. I have some experience with level design from Unreal 1, Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2.
Speaking of which, I'd like to offer a proposition.
I'll do you some level design, and in return you'll list me in your credits & give me and my friends the game for free when it's released :D
You can always refuse my offer though  Gentleman

I know some Java, so if you'll agree to take me on-board, I could write some gamemodes for you. At the moment, I have in mind pretty standard stuff (like capture the flag) but I can be creative if desired.
Otherwise,
- Having the ability to write custom gamemodes could be A.W.E.S.O.M.E

Here are some thoughts I had when designing the maps:
 (cbpit):
- The map is easy to turn into a spawnkill nightmare. A one-way barrier (like a door that's openable only from the inside or some sophisticated force field) could be very useful for balancing this map.
- The ability to "import" custom tilesets could be nice.
  (grlantern):
- It could be nice to have, as previously mentioned, doors; but they'd also block the view. Doors that can be opened from both sides are also an awesome idea.
- Movable pieces of the map could provide a very fun tool to play with to deliver engaging dynamic maps. Perhaps a trigger->response system? (a trigger could be a usable lever, or a dude entering an area)
  (spirate):
When designing the last map, I've come across some limitations that prevented me from ever finishing it.
The map is designed for team-deathmatch, but the idea was to have each team spawn on a different end of the map. At the moment, they spawn pretty much randomly.
- Having the ability to manage where each team spawns could be immensely useful. Unreal Tournament handles this by having an extra property to each (re)spawner/spawnpoint, pretty much saying which team it belongs to. In team deathmatch (and other team-based gamemodes), it uses this property to decide where to spawn people. In non-team-based gamemodes it simply ignores the value.
Implementing this will also count towards your own progress because you plan to implement more gamemodes. Some probably team-based.
- Having the ability to tag a map as gamemode-specific could come in handy. Some maps are designed for a certain gamemode, and would simply play terribly (or not play at all) in another gamemode. How Unreal Tournament handles this is through prefixes in the map file names. (DM_ means deathmatch, TDM_ means team-deathmatch, CTF_ means capture-the-flag, etc)

Links to map downloads:
- http://www.filedropper.com/cbpit_1
- http://www.filedropper.com/grlantern
- http://www.filedropper.com/spirate

Core Blood Pit (cbpit) - Intensive CQB deathmatch map
Green Ring Lantern (grlantern) - CQB deathmatch map with tight controls
Space Pirate (spirate) - Team-deathmatch map with plenty of cover

Abit about Core Blood Pit
-----------------------------
  The name
"Core" because it's designed like some sort of a core thing stuff. Seriously, it's because it's made to be plaid mostly in the center of the map, aka the core of the map.
"Blood Pit" because it's designed to be very fast-paced and intense, due to the overcrowded little map with little to no cover.
  The play
You spawn in a confined room, most likely with another player on the other side of the room. Your first thought: SURVIVAL. You must rush to your closest weapon before your opponent beats you to his just to get out of the spawning chambers. For variety, some chambers contain hot stuff that fire FAST for quick domination over the core, and some contain the all-mighty shotgun for beating your foes up-close and personal. First thing you do after you spawn, you yell "SHOTGUN!"
Provided that you've survived your first encounter, you're left with not much choice but to rush head-on into the massive bloodbath happening in the center of the map. Your incentive? Plentiful medpacks and armor! And if you're lucky, you'll get some bouncy blue orbs gun that's going to lay WASTE to all who dare shove their nose in your core! Become the king of the hill!
 Abit about Green Ring Lantern  
---------------------------------
  The name
I decided to make a map colored red. Then when playing around with the lighting, I ended up positioning the lights in what at first seemed like it would decorate the center of the map, but later turned out to form a ring around it. I decided that green could go kinda-well with the red color due to the contrast between the colors, so I made the ring green. Then I decided to drop a reference on top.
  The play
You spawn in a small room, and you have two choices: Go to the room next-door to get a mediocre weapon, or risk running straight to the center to get badass weaponry, armor and health.
Once you're geared up, you have another two choices. You could either stay in the center and rule over the high-risk-high-reward armor, medpacks and weaponry, or stick to the green ring "noob zone" for a safer experience.
In the green ring, you could end up doing one of the following:
Running around the ring, picking up all the goodies respawners are too slow to pick up, shooting whatever gets in your way in the process, or
picking an area, strafing left-and-right to pop in&out of cover while you pick off whoever is too unlucky to be in the center. Just watch your flanks!
As you play, you'll notice how tight all the corridors and rooms are. They're a bitter-sweet feature because they'll feel tight and force you to fight your controls, but will at the same time provide much-needed cover in this tightly-packed player hell.
 Abit about Space Pirates
----------------------------
  The name
The map was designed to be a space-ship. As an excuse for team deatmatch, I decided to have the crew deffend the ship (spawning in the control-room at the upper side) from the invading pirates (spawning from the airlocks at the lower side).
  The play
A symmetrical map with slightly non-symmetric balance, the crew's team spawn with superior firepower in an attempt to defend the ship from the pirate's team.
The pirates dash through tight bottleneck corridors that provide significant cover. The center of the ship contains an extremely useful weapon, and a crossroad to the wrings of the craft. At either side of the wings one may find health and armor, but may become vulnerable to flanking attack.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:29:46 PM by soryy708 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic