Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:48:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHeart&Slash - [RELEASED ON XBOXONE AND PS4]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Heart&Slash - [RELEASED ON XBOXONE AND PS4]  (Read 88478 times)
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2014, 06:34:41 PM »

congrats on the views man!
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2014, 06:45:20 AM »

Weekly Progress Update (1 of few):

This week I´m trying to get the Kickstarter material ready, so expect fewer updates.

But that doesn't mean I´m not producing useful stuff for the game. I had been missing a decent logo for the longest time.

What do you guys think of this one?:

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2014, 08:12:19 AM »

Personally I liked the edginess of 'slash' in the OP. This one looks good, but looks a little more 'heart' than 'slash' if you get what I mean. Still looks great, just my view on it.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2014, 08:44:10 AM »

Like the logo. Maybe you could have the extended part of "Slash" slash through the heart?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2014, 09:51:32 AM »

Personally I liked the edginess of 'slash' in the OP. This one looks good, but looks a little more 'heart' than 'slash' if you get what I mean. Still looks great, just my view on it.

Mmmm, that's actually really good advise. I'll leave this as is for the KS and the new trailer, but I will definitely try to do another version later on!

Like the logo. Maybe you could have the extended part of "Slash" slash through the heart?

Again, I will do some doodles and see if I can figure out a better version!

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2014, 04:03:33 AM »

Weekly progress update (1 of ?):

Ok, so all the KS material is in place. We will be launching soon.

You can subscribe so you get notified when we do so here: http://www.aheartfulofgames.com/contact/

And since now I have a friend help programming, the game is also advancing at a nice pace. We have a localization system in place (and a partially translated spanish script), and the tutorials are almost finished.

While we do the KS, the focus is going to be in polish and optimization. The GUI code I'm using is horrible...

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 06, 2014, 03:22:37 PM »

I like the logo Smiley but that '&' is so smooth, isn't it? (compared to the rest of the logo)

Waiting for KS! Smiley
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2014, 01:44:53 AM »

I like the logo Smiley but that '&' is so smooth, isn't it? (compared to the rest of the logo)

Waiting for KS! Smiley

Ah! Thanks! It's crazy the amount of work a KS implies... But we should be ready VERY soon...

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2014, 01:52:59 AM »

Weekly Progress Update (1 of ?):

Ok, so now I'm back to working on the project full time (KS materials are *mostly* done.

Along with Quique (the new programmer) we have been focusing in translating the GUI code into something more usable, using nGUI. This is important, because GUI drawing currently takes between 20% and 30% of the frame time (in my computer) so it's an obvious bottleneck (the other one is the high polycount of the models, but that's harder to fix without a new artist).

I plan to have this task done by week's end. Next step will be to minimize drawcalls by implementing a new shader and using texture Atlas for pretty much everything. Hopefully in 2 weeks I will have a much better performing game.

In other news, I have a new teaser for the game that gives a much better impression of where it stands now (notice the awesome work by our sound designers):

click the image for the video

Since a lot of this week's work is on the GUI backend, there won't be many updates. But the ones we will have will be HUGE, KS huge...

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2014, 04:20:55 AM »

The trailer looks fantastic! Very energetic and really captures the spirit of the game. And yes, great sound design as well.

Erichermit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: February 11, 2014, 02:35:15 AM »

I just watched the trailer from the Kotaku article, and it's sweet! I'm rather pumped for the game now.

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2014, 05:39:43 AM »

I just watched the trailer from the Kotaku article, and it's sweet! I'm rather pumped for the game now.

Thanks!!!!! I do like the trailer myself, even if it was a nightmare to do...

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2014, 05:41:13 AM »

AND WE ARE ON GREENLIGHT, GUYS!!!!
More information coming soon!!!!
 Wink  Cool Wink
VERY SOON

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2014, 11:52:39 PM »

Ok guys, this is a very important post for me...

After about a year of working on the game at various levels of commitment, it has come the day I will see whether this project has the legs I hope it has.

WE HAVE GONE LIVE ON KICKSTARTER!!!

I will update the first post with the Kickstarter info and I direct link, but for those who follow this blog, and that have been engaged with development, I have a special landing page I hope you will use. It will allow you to share the Kickstarter on FB and Twitter. I don't have the legs, experience or community cred other projects have, been very new to game development, so I will need all the help I can get.

So this is it. Click below to go to the landing page!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: February 14, 2014, 12:26:32 AM »

Backed! After Rain World's resounding success, I'm optimistic that another promising TIGForum project will succeed. Good luck!

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 14, 2014, 12:32:15 AM »

Backed! After Rain World's resounding success, I'm optimistic that another promising TIGForum project will succeed. Good luck!

Thanks man, I might be able to work on a game for looong hours, but this Kickstarter process is driving me crazy...

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2014, 01:03:59 AM »

Thanks man, I might be able to work on a game for looong hours, but this Kickstarter process is driving me crazy...
I could imagine how nerve-wracking it can be. But I think the potential and gampelay of H&S will appeal to people,
I forgot, do you have a new alpha demo/build planned?

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 14, 2014, 01:12:58 AM »

I forgot, do you have a new alpha demo/build planned?

Yes!!!  Cheesy Grin Cheesy

But it will be a couple of weeks coming. I want to use it to give a second wind to the KS.

Right now I'm almost finished porting the HUD to nGUI (the minimap is problematic and still a WIP, since it was very inefficiently done, so Unity's GUI was ok with it but nGUI suffers).

This should give the game 20% more performance (depending on systems). I'm also working in semi-complete tutorials to ease the new players in...

Elideb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 15, 2014, 08:12:15 AM »

Hi there!

I am Kike and have recently joined the development of Heart & Slash, as programmer (and design assistant). In order to help Juan keep his sanity (what he has left, anyway), I'll be posting updates regarding the game's evolution. But don't worry, he'll return at full throttle after the Kickstarter ends.

Quick development update: currently finishing the new, more versatile upgrade system (pending implementing a new GUI and porting all the weapons and body parts).
Then I'll reimplement the minimap to reduce the absurd amount of CPU it consumes. After that, there are lots of tasks to do. It'll be a long, but satisfying year =)

Glad to be here!

Twitter: @elorahranma

Heart&Slash is on PS4, Xbox One and Steam Early Access!
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2014, 04:33:10 AM »

Hello again!

I see Kike has introduced himself already. He's going to be a huge asset to the game!

People on Kickstarter, IndieDB and Steam have been asking a lot about the game story. It is true this was a part of the game I hadn't yet talked about in this devlog, but suddenly the teaser and the Kickstarter video hinted at a love story, and people are getting curious/confused. So consider this the official Story reveal (I will post this later on Kickstarter, but development driven news will be posted here first, since here is where the game was born):

STORY UPDATE

When I decided I was doing a randomized, multi playthrough, permadeath game (what people now are calling a roguelike-like) I faced the question on to whether tie a strong story to the game (Which could be difficult given the mechanics-driven imposed narrative) or to be light on story and let the visuals speak.

For a while, at the beginning of the development, I opted for the later. But as the project progressed (remember this was a personal project with no intent of going this public), and as the characters became defined in my head, a story I wanted to tell started to take shape.

Heart being a robot takes care neatly of the multi-playthrough permadeath stuff. After all, robots can be repaired and/or their memory cloned.

This left the problem of what was the story arc going to be. The theme of fighting conformity was already in place, but I felt it was too lighthearted. Too easy. That's when Slash came in.

See, by creating a love interest for Heart, not only are we equipping us with some tools to tackle the meta-game (the love story will be a persistent "quest" that will span multiple playthroughs, like certain quests in Shiren the Wanderer). We also have the opportunity to expand and be more nuanced on the search of identity theme.

Trying to be unique, trying to be yourself, is all good. But in reality, it's not always that easy. There are external factors that somehow suppress our personality (work-environment, culture...) and many can be deemed as negative if they limit self-expression. But some of these factors are not actually negative at all. As people (and yes, robots are people) one important sacrifice we do is to limit our own welfare for those who matter to us. This happens at most levels in human relationships, but "love" (or the relationship with whoever you have chosen to share your life with) is the most extreme of all these.

And love is not always good. Sometimes it can be too much. Sometimes one member of the couple can suppress the other one. Or sometimes two personalities are so strong that they can't adapt to the other and suffer because of it.

Thus, framing our search for identity around a love story allows us to explore the nuances of what means "being yourself".

The relationship  between Heart & Slash will not be an easy one. Slash is a rough veteran of the dystopian world where Heart&Slash takes place, while Heart is a naive newcomer that believes he can make a difference. As Heart, you will meet Slash (and try to capture its attention) through several playthroughs. But how you do it will depend on the player. For each 'quest' (each opportunity to woo Slash) you will have a couple of opportunities that will end up defining the relationship. And how the meta-game will end.

Will you choose independence, or will you change in order to be loved? Or will you find a balance that will allow the relationship to thrive?

This is what Heart&Slash will ultimately be about...

And remember, support us on KS!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 05:04:38 AM by Juan Raigada » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic