Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:04:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookDeath Lights Dancing [UPDATED 13/12] [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Death Lights Dancing [UPDATED 13/12] [FINISHED]  (Read 24645 times)
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:34:06 PM »

114 Death lights dancing over a salt marsh.

You are John Lighthousekeeper, of the Esoteric Order of Lighthouse Keepers.  One night you awaken from a hideous Dream to find yourself out in your rowboat, in the middle of the Salt marsh.  You must get back to your light house or Ship will crash!

An epic Lovecraftian 3d rowing simulation program for one player.  For use with Mouse controller.

(The brown thing in front centre is meant to be the rowboat.  Now that I have my own computer back I can fire up Blender and improve that.)

edit: finished!

edit: minor modification, post-deadline

edit: modified again.  now you can change mouse sensitivity with mouse wheel.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 03:37:39 PM by brog » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 02:07:58 PM »

Oh man that's dark. You could have all manner of Hideous things popping up in there.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 03:09:57 PM »

I like where this is going. Hopefully something will cause the lighthouse to move around or disappear occasionally.

Oh, and you forgot to add the compo tag.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 03:37:23 PM »

Oh man that's dark. You could have all manner of Hideous things popping up in there.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 03:58:40 PM »

If you're rowing, will you be facing backwards?

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 05:04:51 PM »

Yeah that would be awesome, with one key to turn your head from time to time.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 05:31:58 PM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
N
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 05:06:24 PM »

Not if you have an owl head. Gentleman
Reecer6
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 04:54:02 PM »

Maybe Jhon has an owl head! But then his name would be: Jhon OwlHead LighthouseKeeper
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 02:15:36 AM »

Owl head is a good idea, I might use it.
I hadn't thought about rowing being backwards.  I'm used to kayaking which is forwards, but not as appropriate.  Backwards would be confusing and difficult, which is sometimes good, but it will be dark and dangerous enough already I think.

I love the ideas you guys have come up with here.  Floating fetus faces are likely.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 02:27:29 AM »

:D

That was just a reference to my old avatar, since Melly said you could have all manner of Hideous things there. But floating faces FTW!

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 06:48:25 PM »

Here's a demo: http://smestorp.googlepages.com/deathlight.zip

Mouse controller is required.  Instructions are to find your True lighthouse and get back to it.  The scraps of light will help you find the way.

Please provide feedback.  If it doesn't run then probably I haven't included the MSVC dll properly or something.

What's missing:
- audio (important for a horror game)
- haven't done the boat model yet

edit: also missing were MSVC dlls.  knew it!  should be fixed.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:38:35 AM by brog » Logged
increpare
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 08:08:30 PM »

On OSX at the moment, will check it out over the weekend deffo.  I see you're using SDL - would you be interested in getting an OSX port put together?
mirosurabu
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 06:34:05 AM »

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem."
medieval
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 11:30:47 AM »

I lol'd at the ending :D This has a great feel to it, and it sure will be creepy when atmospheric music is added Gentleman
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 12:12:53 PM »

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem."

Lurker reply warning. Just wanted to add that I had the same issue trying to run it and wondering if you could use any further info about my system, since Yama got it going okay.
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 12:53:41 PM »

Lurker reply warning. Just wanted to add that I had the same issue trying to run it and wondering if you could use any further info about my system, since Yama got it going okay.

Okay hm.  I guess I should have included the .manifest file as well.  I was able to reproduce that problem on my dad's computer and it should be fixed now.  Stupid MS compiler making things have arbitrary dependencies and not telling you what they are (the help assumes you're going to distribute things with an installer executable.. yuck).

If it still doesn't work, or if you already downloaded it and want a smaller download to make it work, get the MSVC redist and it should run.

Here's an explanation of the game if you run it and don't understand what's going on (if you prefer to figure it out yourself stop reading):
- move mouse back and forth to row.
- moving mouse to one side lifts one of the oars, so that rowing will turn you.
- the little glowing lights travel between to the lighthouse and random locations to help you locate it.
- there are a few stages where you find the lighthouse and then it moves, and maybe something strange happens.  when the true lighthouse is found the screen will fade to white and then the game exits.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 01:50:16 PM »

:D

That was just a reference to my old avatar, since Melly said you could have all manner of Hideous things there. But floating faces FTW!

Some floating faces of Dick Cheney would give me the creepers *shiver*

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 02:12:29 AM »

Okay, it's pretty much finished.

finished version: Death Lights Dancing

Here's a screenshot of the final version:

And some more spoily screenshots:
spoiler
spoiler
spoiler
spoiler

Enjoy!
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 02:22:38 AM »

oh my god my avatar is in there.

You know, I can easily get you a higher quality picture of that foetus-face.

Here, loads of images: http://images.google.se/images?rlz=1C1GGLS_enSE291&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Ron%20Mueck%20a%20girl&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

It's a sculpture by Ron Mueck, called 'A girl'.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 02:28:05 AM by Hideous » Logged

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 02:28:02 AM »

On OSX at the moment, will check it out over the weekend deffo.  I see you're using SDL - would you be interested in getting an OSX port put together?

Sure.  In theory it shouldn't need many changes, but I'm not exactly sure what they'd be.  Give me an address and I'll send you the source if you want to try compiling it.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic