Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:27:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCannons and Cargo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cannons and Cargo  (Read 3107 times)
matwek
« on: July 03, 2013, 09:40:54 AM »

Cannons and Cargo

Artist/Game designer – Matwek
Programmer – Okoz

A Bomberman/Pacman inspired Pirate game.
Play as one of 4 ships as you try to score points by collecting fish, selling sunken treasure and destroying other pirates.

Controlling the ship is very similar to Pacman in that you continuously move until you decide to move off onto an alternative path.
Whilst you can destroy other pirate ships it isn't the main focus of the game, collecting points is. Grabbing more fish that your opponent’s earns you a higher score but once in a while a treasure chest will appear. If collected you can then return to your team port and exchange it for even more points, although if you get taken down on the way your treasure becomes up for grabs once again.

The playing arena is designed to allow you to get clear shots off at each other from the other side of the map. In true pirate ship fashion the cannons fire from your broadsides, which makes aiming harder, but because you fire from both sides at once things will quickly become a frantic effort to dodge cannon fire whilst collecting fish.

We’re currently working on a playable build at the moment but neither of us has the equipment to get a decent gameplay video for people to see. If anyone can help us out that would be great.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:45:12 PM by matwek » Logged
geepit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:56:28 AM »

Sounds really fun! Will the multiplayer be local or will there be online?
As for recording gameplay, are you not able to use something like fraps or camstudio?
Cathay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »

There shouldn't be an apostrophe in Cannons!... punctuation aside, it looks real nice. I like the art style very much. Would you guys be needing any music/ sound at all?
matwek
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 10:12:11 AM »

Sounds really fun! Will the multiplayer be local or will there be online?
As for recording gameplay, are you not able to use something like fraps or camstudio?
To be honest I just assumed my computer wouldn't be able to handle something like that, I have tried it in the past but it never turns out right.
I might take another crack at it though and see if those programs you mentioned work out better (thanks.)
As for multiplayer. We aren't sure yet, obviously online would much better but then it would also create a lot more work for something that is essentially a simple arcade style game.

There shouldn't be an apostrophe in Cannons!... punctuation aside, it looks real nice. I like the art style very much. Would you guys be needing any music/ sound at all?
Whoops, good start.
We've just started looking into music and sound fairly recently. I think we have someone lined up so I'll be waiting to see how that pans out.
Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 01:01:47 PM »

I'm always up for Pirate-themed games, and even more so when they're arcadey and local multiplayer!  Grin The world needs more frantic local multiplayer games, and this one seems to be shapin' up to be a fun one. I'll be keepin' my eye on this 'n.  Blink
matwek
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 03:40:27 AM »

I'm always up for Pirate-themed games, and even more so when they're arcadey and local multiplayer!  Grin The world needs more frantic local multiplayer games, and this one seems to be shapin' up to be a fun one. I'll be keepin' my eye on this 'n.  Blink
Thanks.

I had a go at uploading a video but everything got a bit jerky when I used CamStudio, and then it got blury when I used Youtube. I'll have another go later to see if I can get something better.

(Also I'm not sure how to embed a video. The Link Youtube gave me doesn't work)

I'm controling the Red ship (badly) and the rest are computer controled
Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »

Thanks.

I had a go at uploading a video but everything got a bit jerky when I used CamStudio, and then it got blury when I used Youtube. I'll have another go later to see if I can get something better.

(Also I'm not sure how to embed a video. The Link Youtube gave me doesn't work)

I'm controling the Red ship (badly) and the rest are computer controled

Game is lookin' fun!  Well, hello there! Although after seeing it in action, I noticed that my eyes kept wanting to go to the movement of the dolphins jumping in and out of the water, rather than to the boats themselves. In a frantic multiplayer game, it seems like you would want your focus to be on the ships and the cannon balls they are firing, but since the cannon balls seem have a similar color to the dolphins, and since the dolphins tend to move more, my eyes tend to go to them instead every time a cannon is fired (or just in general, really).
matwek
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 04:38:28 AM »

Thats something I'll have to take a look at. The focus is more on collecting the fish rather than shooting opponents but its still crucial the player knows were everything is.

Maybe I could make the cannon balls a bit bigger or maybe have the ships leave a trail in the water to make them stand out a bit more.
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 09:00:51 AM »

Love the art and arcade feel!
The water does look a bit cluttered though, have you considered having clean skyblue water with a more subtle pattern and then use cloud shadows on top of everything to make it look more lively.

Would also be interesting with deep and shallow water, with reefs appearing in shallow water and sea monsters in deep water.

matwek
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 08:15:04 AM »

Love the art and arcade feel!
The water does look a bit cluttered though, have you considered having clean skyblue water with a more subtle pattern and then use cloud shadows on top of everything to make it look more lively.

We did originally have the water as just a flat blue colour but it didn't look right with no animation at all. Maybe we need something in the middle.
Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 09:21:26 AM »

This looks really fun. I love the suspense when two ships are facing each other, just waiting for a turn so they can get a shot off.
Seems like some really solid game design here.

matwek
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 08:27:12 AM »

This looks really fun. I love the suspense when two ships are facing each other, just waiting for a turn so they can get a shot off.
Seems like some really solid game design here.

Thanks.
Quite a lot of work went into the level layout to take advantage of the way the ships shoot. Creating more maps is only going to get harder as I use up my ideas
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 12:44:53 AM »

Did my eyes deceive me?
When two bullets collide they kill each other? Tears of Joy

Yeah.
Charybdis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »

It's going to be a really great game.
Lots still unimplemented or rough, but it's already super fun to play, even single player.
And the firing from the sides mechanic is genius, really adds a strategic element.
Cool beans

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 04:30:51 PM »

Wow, this is great.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
matwek
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 03:44:09 AM »

Been making some slow progress on the menu screen.

No fonts yet, only one map type to pick from, lots more detail to add and I'm still unsure about the map texture... but I'm getting there...

okoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 10:21:26 AM »

Hello everyone!

Looks like I'll be taking over the programming side of this project.  With a new programmer comes a completely new code base.  We will be using Unity as the engine and Tiled for level creation.  Most of the original features have already been implemented in the new version.

The scope of the project has also been changed somewhat.  We are now aiming at a mobile game where you try to collect points in randomized levels of increasing difficulty to get a high score.

I'll be updating coding side progress here from now on.

Signing off,

mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 10:52:56 AM »

yes Blink ships

okoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 06:45:56 PM »

Got the first serious enemy implemented: