Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:45:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIndie Arcade Eurogamer Expo Pics
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Arcade Eurogamer Expo Pics  (Read 6945 times)
Oddbob
« on: October 29, 2008, 02:59:15 PM »

Sorry, my camera decided that because I actually needed it to work, it was going to freak out so I didn't capture many, but I got a few choice shots. Also, due to lack of sleep and the worlds most uncomfortable coach ride - I couldn't hang around too long. Stuck it out for an hour-ish and got to see how the ordinary folk took to some of our fine stuff...

Full report to follow soon once the agony of the journey from hell back subsides, but here's wot I got:

The PC version of Braid got a bit of attention in the short while I was there. Probably the most normal looking game of the show, compared to say, my own or Cactus' - the few folks who tried it seemed to grasp the time mechanic really well. It also seemed to be the game people were spending most time on.

Machinarium. One of the games I was most interested in seeing and seemingly hogged for the entire duration by one guy staring at the screen with a blank expression. It looks beautiful, that's about as much as I can tell you. I couldn't work out whether the bloke was deep in concentration or just completely confused. I'd guess it's somewhere between the two.

Multiwinia. Set up over 2 PC's, for the time I was there it wasn't really attracting folks. To be fair, I'm not sure that a multiplayer RTS is entirely suited for the sort of set up they had but it was nice to see it there.

Offroad Velociraptor Safari
. Or how to completely throw people in one easy lesson. Given it was on display full screen, the beauty of Unity running in a browser window obviously wasn't going to come to the fore. I'm not sure that the few people who tried it "got it" entirely, but I had fun for a few minutes giving it another blast. I still think it's an ace game.

Psychosomnium or "make sure escape doesn't just quit to the desktop". That's my mate having a blast at it, and enjoying it - given he's not really part of the Indie scene per se, it was interesting to watch how he took to it. It took some explaining, but once he'd worked out how the game plays you, all was well. However, nearly everyone who touched it whilst I was there found themselves a bit miffed at it bombing to the desktop when they pressed escape.

War Twat. My own game and rather obviously the reason I was there. Met with a nice mix of some people getting it first time and fun to watch a group of lads comparing time surviving with each other, but also mixed with expressions of befuddlement and in one case complete revulsion. I'm calling it a win.

Stuff also there but not photographed:

Plain Sight. I'd like to hope that this was a case of "showing too early" as it looked and felt like little more than a tech demo. Quite a few people spending some time with it but it felt like people were trying to find something to do rather than doing something.

World Of Goo. Which is, obviously brilliant and I'm going to assume that every right thinking person has already punted over for it. What surprised me was, given the good sales and how accessible the game is - it took me sitting there and explaining it to someone to gather a bit of a crowd around it.

And...A few TIGJAM UK posters dotted about the place. Which was good to see.

Overall, despite a few hiccups and power issues (the entire Indie Arcade seemed to suffer at the hands of power cuts whilst I was there), it was a good showing with a few small niggles. Our games are still a bit weird and alien to your average gamer, that was the overall funk I got from spending some time wandering around. Once they've been led by the hand a bit - they get it. But with the stand tucked away in the far corner, upstairs and away from the rest of the expo - there was a bit of a disconnect and a feeling of being relegated to the naughty boys corner.

The Pixel Lab guys did a sterling job though, despite everything and I'm really proud to see this sort of thing going ahead. We need more. We also need emissaries to attend these places and help guide people in the right direction. There's only so much these chaps can do on their own.

Fingers crossed this isn't the end of it though because there's nowt better a feeling than watching other people enjoy something you created. Ok, short of a good hard shag anyway.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 06:34:50 PM »

Thanks for taking all these! It sounds like it was a brilliant show! Beer!

The-Imp
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:45:06 PM »

Nice pictures dude, but I only have one thing to say...

My first play through of Psychosomnium SUCKED MAJOR ASS.
 Cry
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 03:46:46 AM »

Indie Arcade Eurogamer? Why haven't I heard of this? Cool

Anyway, thanks for the pics. Always fun to see this kind of stuff!
gonzorob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 09:47:29 AM »

Plain Sight. I'd like to hope that this was a case of "showing too early" as it looked and felt like little more than a tech demo. Quite a few people spending some time with it but it felt like people were trying to find something to do rather than doing something.

Alright mate,

Sorry to hear Plain Sight didn't flick your switch! If you're coming to the JAM I'd love to hear any more feedback you may have - if we don't know what's broke we can't fix it Wink

Cheers

Robin
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:56:57 AM by gonzorob » Logged

Oddbob
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 11:28:11 AM »

Alrighty!

Won't be at the jam, one harrowing trip to London a year is enough for me* but I'd love to get some proper time with the game when I'm not chafing with cramp and full of flu. It does look sweet visually, but as I say, it felt like there was a lot missing currently. But (and it's a big but) I didn't spend nearly enough time on it to offer more than passing thoughts though, sorry.

Whether that's just me and my mate being a bit broken or not, I dunno. As I say, wasn't at the expo half as long as I'd have liked to have been and couldn't take in folks reactions to stuff as much as I'd wanted. Having a glance around the internet and it seems to have gone down well enough - so perhaps it is just me :-D

*actually, it's just because it's too close to my birthday and I'll be far too drunk at this point to think about going down south.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 01:58:58 PM »

I was there with a friend, who is female, and not really much of a gamer, and we spent a bit of time playing War Twat. Surprisingly, she liked it, although she didn't manage to stay alive for more than 8 seconds. Mind you, I think my best time was a paltry 24 seconds, so I can't talk!

Machinarium. One of the games I was most interested in seeing and seemingly hogged for the entire duration by one guy staring at the screen with a blank expression.
Haha, I think that guy was hogging it when I was there, too. It looked beautiful, but again, I couldn't tell you how it played.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 12:02:41 AM »

I kinda regret missing this! Next time, gadget!
(of course, I didn't hear about it until afterwards...)

Great to see a hands on event in the UK like this.

twitter: @docky
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 01:43:09 PM »

David Hayward told me they would be demoing 'Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!'

Was it there?

I played Machinarium at IndieCade a few weeks ago. It's gorgeous, but you have to be a classic adventure game nerd to figure out the puzzles. They were really difficult, and some were just opaque.

Oddbob
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 03:27:41 PM »

I didn't spot it whilst I was there - that's not to say it didn't make an appearance over the two days though.

As I say, I was only there for around an hour or so and a couple of games didn't tally with the list I got given. I'm sure Samarost was meant to be up instead of Machinarium (not complaining, mind) and Jetpac Bronosaurus instead of OVS.

This was just post power cut, mind - so whether some stuff just got loaded in a hurry I dunno.
gonzorob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 07:22:31 AM »

Yup, dangerous highschool girls was there however it was only for a few hours on the last day. I had a play, it was great fun!

If you have a look on Eurogamer.tv you'll see a video of people talking about their top games of the expo, the indies get mentioned a few times! woop!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic