Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:32:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCRAWL: an arcade style dungeon crawler where your friends control the monsters
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: CRAWL: an arcade style dungeon crawler where your friends control the monsters  (Read 8731 times)
barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2013, 04:05:47 AM »

Hey everyone!  I have some stuff to show yay!

basically it's an arcadey beat-em-up dungeon crawler, except it's multiplayer and the monsters are all controlled by the other players Smiley

we have a trailer here:
http://www.powerhoof.com/crawl/

for anyone who is interested

your thoughts, ideas or internet fury are all welcome- any ideas for attacks/powers to give gabe newell?

Cheers
-Barney
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 06:57:52 AM by barneycumming » Logged

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 05:31:57 AM »

Is that... Gabe?

The game looks great but won't it be too hard with player controlled enemies?

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 05:34:45 AM »

yep, pre-beard gabe- he'll be some kind of mega boss/deity/whatever...

and he'll go into a powered up state like a super saiyan kinda thing where he gets the beard and grey hair Smiley

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 07:31:16 AM by barneycumming » Logged

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 07:04:06 AM »

oh and the hero tends to have more health than most of the enemies so the difficulty thing seems okay Smiley

when the hero is killed by a monster there is no respawn or anything, the player who controls the killing monster switches so he gets to play as the hero

so the hero dies a lot, but the gameplay continues

i have fond memories of playing bomberman on the super nintendo 4 players with a multitap Smiley and this feels a bit more like that kind of thing when you're fighting

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 07:30:20 AM by barneycumming » Logged

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 07:37:43 AM »

also i have some gifs i made a while back showing some monster special attacks, may as well post Smiley

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 08:16:34 AM »

Rad stuff!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »

nice pixelling

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 09:51:40 AM »

Cheers guys thanks for the encouragement! :D

Silverfell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 12:23:14 PM »

Great style! You're really making those pixels strut their stuff.

The anim gifs on the page look more interesting than the trailer though, which usually devolved into a chaotic mess of explosions (which is a lovely thing in itself). How are the game's controls? Did you streamline enemy attacks, or are there multiple control mechanisms to learn for players?
Cunnah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 12:39:19 PM »

looks good. only thing to add is... IS NO ONE ELSE DISTURBED BY FLASHER CTHULHU!!!
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »

Wow, this game packs quite a punch!

Really looking forward to this! Thanks for sharing and please do keep us to date Smiley

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 01:57:51 PM »

sweeet

blackmoondev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 02:29:58 PM »

Looks totally awesome!

----------------
http://blackmoondev.com
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 05:20:37 PM »

I have a suggestion, since you have elements showing inspiration from all sorts of games and personas (mario, zelda, gabe, dnd, etc), add something from Guardian Heroes, in the form of an arena pvp mode that lets players choose from any character encountered in the game so far (so, everyone after finishing it) in a free for all or team fighting setup. No need to care about balance, just for fun. Checking out how that game handled character levels and upgrades would be good too if you want such elements.

Jrap
Level 0

Always be the best dressed in the room.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 09:10:53 PM »

Put me down for, like, 6 preorders and a game of the year edition with art book.

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 01:27:24 AM »

Awesome stuff!

This is too difficult for the player that controls no-monster character,isn't it?
barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 01:56:37 AM »

Hey Silverfell- yeah the trailer doesn’t give the best look at the character animation … I made some really silly mistakes with the video capture and lots of the files were too low res and ended up being compressed two or three or four times in order to change between formats, so the really crisp pixel edges have been lost and the colors are a bit messed up from shot to shot.  I learned a lot and won’t be making those mistakes next time!   I’m sure there will be room in the future to do some less frantic trailers which better show the characters not just the explosions and effects Smiley

As for controls, they are an important issue for sure- I really want to keep this simple and arcadey and easy to pick up, so I’ve set myself the limit of all basic function on 1 attack button, and then I allow a second “special attack” button for advanced attacks/using items etc.  But the notion is if someone picks up the controller and I say “press x to attack” then that’s enough for them to take part and get into the game.  

I’m trying some things with alternating attacks and context/timing sensitive moves- eg. The spiders attack button alternates between dropping a web and doing a small bite attack etc.  Still testing out how far I can push the “unique” control for each monster, as I want it to be effortless to pick up a new guy.  I’m trying to make sure any guy who has more complex controls are still fully playable if you don’t know them- eg. The tentacle guy above had a melee attack where he lashes out with a tentacle, but also a teleport if you time your press and attack again straight away after the melee.  I’ve tried to make sure if you don’t know about the teleport, it doesn’t feel like the guy is broken, you can still run around and attack the same way you would expect.

I’m really looking forward to doing some special case guys too- going to try the zombie for example where you control a whole swarm of them and they all respond to your joystick with some extra swarm ai and stuff- still got no idea if it will work or not but looking forward to testing it out!
Hahaha Cunnah- weren’t you curious what was under there?

Keops, eigenbom, blackmoondev, Jrap
- thanks for the encouragement guys!  We've been working on this in isolation for quite a few months now, so it's great to get some reassurance that there are people who share our taste and appreciate what we're working on!

Games Inquirer- we are definitely thinking about what kind of different gameplay modes we might be able to build for this, although for the time being we really have our hands full with the regular mode.  I haven't actually played Guardian Heroes so I should check it out and see if it has good stuff to teach me Smiley

Currently the leveling up and monster evolution is pretty basic, but i want to expand this so you have a branching evolution tree with lots of variations of each monster type to try, and for the hero to feel like d&d style character development on fast forward, so a game might last for only 10 minutes, and in that time the hero goes from puny level 1 guy, all the way up to superpowered level 50 dude kitted out with crazy magical weapons and gear, and the monsters have evolved from little rats and slugs up to dragons and huge beasts

hey karlozalb- not 100% sure this is answering your question, but the system works like this: when your monster gets killed you become a ghost, and then you just have to take the ghost over to a "spawner" and you can respawn as another monster

thanks for taking the time to look at our game everyone, really good to get this feedback Smiley

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 03:54:39 AM »

Looks like RockPaperShotgun caught sight of this thread also Wink

Binarymichael
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »

Wow this looks incredibly awesome. I love the style. It looks like one of those games where you can't help but give a good chuckle through the experience. I'm stoked to see more.

And I want to play Gabe (maybe wait-for-HL3 is one of his special attacks).

What if you could play a roguelike in 3D, like ye olde first person dungeon crawlers?  www.forbiddendepths.com
barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 09:58:10 PM »

haha awesome idea!  like a stun attack with little "waiting on on hl3" status effect bursting off player while he's stunned Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic