Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 07:54:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBit Fantasy - 2D browser based online RPG with Bitcoin
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bit Fantasy - 2D browser based online RPG with Bitcoin  (Read 13060 times)
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2013, 01:12:32 AM »

I didn't start a devlog for this because i've just been trying to really cut out distractions and even reading tigsource can eat up gobs of time never mind writing down my neurotic dev feelings Facepalm :D

It's a multiplayer RPG, you play it online in your browser.  It's fairly static with a bit of javascript, i'm slowly making it more dynamic over time. You move around the world talking to NPCs and PCs, doing quests, building stuff, farming, cooking, trading.  

The USP of this game is you can trade items directly with other players using Bitcoin (or the normal in game gold pieces).

You can't do this with NPCs and there are no microtransactions really (we shelved the buying GP with bitcoin idea as we are really "pay to win" averse).

forgot to say: releasing next week
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 01:29:53 AM »

The village above is where new characters spawn so it has a protective barrier that prevents higher level characters from entering.

Beginners also wear a charm that prevents PvP fighting so that they can get to grips with the game mechanics without being attacked by other players.

Once they pass through the barrier the charm is destroyed and they can be attacked by other real players.

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 05:47:04 AM »

Work continues at a feverish pace, I'm trying to do a quiet launch of this game today to a few select interested people - this is the acid test of getting the server configured and working and tweaking a few things. Payments seem to be working which is really nice to see, you hold your phone up to the sign up screen and boom... paid, it's like magic (assuming you have the bitcoin app installed)!

We've been running it on an identical server locally but, inexplicably, Inventory management doesn't work correctly on the live version, i'm blaming Gremlins. Lips Sealed

The level designer is putting some finishing touches to what people will see first, she's done a great job and is revisiting areas I'd already created to make them better. I'm definately working towards making tools for everything so I don't have to code everything explicitly.  These same tools then ultimately get used by the players as they build their own parts of the world.

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 04:49:13 AM »

Sod's law dictates whatever information you do log in your app is probably not the thing you end up wanting to know when debugging live issues.

So yeah, you can never have enough logging Tired   
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 06:48:12 AM »

Sod's law dictates whatever information you do log in your app is probably not the thing you end up wanting to know when debugging live issues.

So yeah, you can never have enough logging Tired   

Or, conversely, that you've always got too much logging.  If what you log is never what you need, there's no point in logging in the first place.
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 07:23:05 AM »

Yeah I wouldn't recommend too much logging, I have seen coders though who will literally log every method being called Epileptic

Having said that, sometimes even noisy logging is useful to know how far you got before it exploded when playing detective.
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 02:08:55 AM »

We've been live for a couple of weeks now, still no public sign up link, just letting people in when they email to ask for an invite. We have 35 players which i'm pretty happy about! Toast Right  Nobody has asked for their money back, one guy asked me to delete his account but only because he wanted to start afresh (and paid again). At least 3 people have upgraded from their sign up level after playing which is a good sign I feel, plus they sound like they are enjoying it.

I'm really glad we decided on slowly letting people in at first as there were a few bugs and inadequacies that became obvious but would have been worse with more players.  One example - when developing we hardly use the in game chat and personal messages, but in real life people use it a lot more and so needed it to be better.

One of the problems with a game like this is I'm not developing and then releasing, I have a constant task of keeping an eye on a running game server and it's world.  I don't mind doing it but it does draw me away from the coding.

People seem to like farming (and also looking after baby animals, a new addition) and are continuing to build out the world, I regularly log in and don't recognise where I am  Cheesy

Continuing to develop while people use it does however give me an invaluable insight into what they want, they'll usually say things on the global chat that help me make the game better.

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 12:32:30 PM »

Youtube video  Blink

Still going well, people seem to like it (those that can get over the "retro" graphics), we ended the closed beta and raised the price from the super low closed beta price.  They are 10 times higher now - equivalent to $13 rather than $1.30, given I have to host a server 24/7 I think it's reasonable.  

Some people have said that I should make it free and then charge for things in game but I am 100% resisting that.  I'm still getting people paying more than the minimum entry fee, so the crowdfunding thing is a success (in the scheme of things, i've still only got ~50 signups so it's not paying the bills yet!). Crowdfunding levels are here: https://www.bitfantasy.com/

Recent screenshot:

Some of the graphics have been upgraded, it will be a constant process making it better.  Gentleman
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 11:51:49 AM »

One of the players figured out how the cow breeding works and did a write up on it which was pretty cool to see  Smiley http://bitfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Cows_and_Cow_Breeding

People are still playing, i'm still continually updating it, latest addition will be a trading network where you can set the price you are willing to pay for items.  Have about 100 people signed up now. I should do more marketing but it's hard to find time for it and it's still under development really so I always have that "I should make it better before really pushing marketing".  I need to update the video next probably as it's quite out of date.

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 10:07:29 AM »

Latest video, with description in the annotations

Blink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic