Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:08:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsiZBOT - 2D Platformer
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: iZBOT - 2D Platformer  (Read 13274 times)
Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2013, 05:15:10 AM »

Style
The game is a 2D platformer (I thought there was a real gap in the market there). I've been having a lot of fun with Super Meat Boy, which the game takes a lot of inspiration from as well as a number of other platformers like Mega Man, Jumper and even a bit of Sonic.

About
Game is currently being  made in GameMaker studio using a modified version of the Grandma engine, targeting PC at the moment but this may change if a can work out a decent control system for mobile. Still very early days, got a few levels in there and some art. I'm doing this all on my lonesome in my spare time after what ever the hell it is I do at work every day. The inspiration for the game came from my daughter Izzy who's got boundless energy and is constantly moving. Plus I thought she'd be the only one at school to have a game named after her.  

Greenlight!
I've recently added the game to Steam Greenlight and would love it if you could sling a vote my way.
Web Link
Direct Steam Link  

Contact information
@escdev
IndieDB
Tumblr
Blog

Gameplay
‘Left’ and ‘Right’ to move around
‘Shift’ to run
‘S’ to jump / double jump / wall jump

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 02:51:16 AM by Ruxar » Logged

JeremiahPena
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 08:28:48 AM »

This is pretty cool. I really like the blinking mechanic, but it feels very under-utilized. Also, it feels a bit clunky. Right now you have to be moving in a certain direction for it to work. I think that it should work without having to actually be moving (you just blink in the direction you are facing). There were a few really frustrating spots where the momentum after the blink made it really hard to get through.
Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 02:52:26 AM »

Thanks for that, updated to blink effect to be less of a warp and more of an instant acceleration. I think it plays a bit better. Also added some particle effects.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 05:59:16 AM »

The blink seems more like a rocket boost effect when jumping now .. not sure you should even call it blink now.  Maybe boost? :p
Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 04:20:27 PM »

Yeah, might have to re-think the title. Maybe Boosty Smiley

I'm thinking about having the boost (and other abilities) as a single use power up. So you need to collect the ability before being able to activate it. That would add a bit of a puzzle element as well as encouraging more exploration.

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 06:13:05 AM »

Added power ups! Rather than just having an always on special ability if you have boost active you can use it once or a shield until you bump into a baddie.

I'm persisting the power ups through levels as well as death. This opens up a heap of opportunities to have special areas that require power ups from previous levels.

Also added Gamepad support ( for the PC version ). 

Left Trigger = Sprint
A = Jump
B = Boost (if active)
Thumbstick = left and right

If the HTML5 version wigs out in chrome its a caching issue, give it a go in IE seems to fix it.

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 05:01:11 AM »

Couple of new particle effects and some new levels. Not sure if the new particle effects quite fit the overall pixel style, but I like the look of them.

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 02:44:31 AM »

Big update, lots of new levels, some new baddies, freekin lazers and a change of the mechanics to be more power up based rather than an always on ability.

Still to come more levels, looking to do at least another 30.

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 03:46:51 AM »

More updates, a name change couple more levels.

I've also tweaked the wall jump a bit to give you a bit more of a push in the opposite direction.

Really keen to get some feedback on the difficulty as well as the base mechanics.

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 04:20:52 AM »

This is like a robo meat boy-esque platformer! I love the shinies :D Consider my interest piqued! (subscribing)

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 07:12:04 PM »

So tiling in Gamemaker is a pain in the ass...slowly started tiling the first lot of levels. I'm only getting about two or so done a night, got another twelve to go for the first lot.

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 04:04:20 AM »

So, after awakening from a beer and ham induced hibernation I've been busy working on stuff:

Wall Slide - This slows your fall when going down but allows you to slide up a little bit as well.

Bounding Box - Hitting any of the edges except the bottom one used to result in death, this has been changed so that it will now just

Screen Shake - Inspired by a recent

by Jan Willem Nijman from Vlambeer. I'm seriously tempted to add machine guns next.

Level Skip - To help debug, just hit 'n' to skip to the next level.

New Baddies, Animations, Levels etc as well. I've updated the HTML5 and exe version in the title post. I'd love to hear any feedback on the wall slide, and if it feels right.

El-Metallico
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 07:18:52 AM »

Art is amazing, control is amazing, everything is so damn great!

Game music composer and pixelartist.
Music Portfolio 
Pixelart Portfolio
TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 09:36:42 PM »

Sweet, been following this game on /r/gamedev, glad to see some more progress!

Gave the game a run, the wall slide feels super natural to me, and overall everything felt great. I did notice with the star spikes that it felt like I was hitting them when I should have a pixel or two of leeway, if that makes sense.

When the screen shake activates while hitting the bottom, I can see black at the edge. Don't know if it's possible, but if you expand your bg a little outside of the bounding area it would fix that.

This is also probably a personal preference, but the trigger buttons aren't super comfortable to hold down on my gamepad (it's a cheap Logitech), I think on my controller at least using the bumper to would feel a lot nicer.

New tiles and levels look are also looking nice! I think the mountains could use a little texture or maybe some fog/clouds?

Keep it up!

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 08:21:10 AM »

Sweet, been following this game on /r/gamedev, glad to see some more progress!

Gave the game a run, the wall slide feels super natural to me, and overall everything felt great. I did notice with the star spikes that it felt like I was hitting them when I should have a pixel or two of leeway, if that makes sense.

When the screen shake activates while hitting the bottom, I can see black at the edge. Don't know if it's possible, but if you expand your bg a little outside of the bounding area it would fix that.

This is also probably a personal preference, but the trigger buttons aren't super comfortable to hold down on my gamepad (it's a cheap Logitech), I think on my controller at least using the bumper to would feel a lot nicer.

New tiles and levels look are also looking nice! I think the mountains could use a little texture or maybe some fog/clouds?

Keep it up!

Hopefully the art will get a kick in the ass by someone other than me. I plan to do what i can and then hopefully get a bit of funding for someone to fix all the the shit I've broken.

I'll double check the bounding box on the spikes. I think you're right though, it's definitely better to give a few pixels leeway in those situations.

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 09:21:22 AM »

Lookin' good!

Frog Sord and iZBOT are destined to be in a Humble Indie Bundle with Super Meat Boy and Dust Force...

Right? Right.  Well, hello there!

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 07:11:48 PM »

Frog Sord and iZBOT are destined to be in a Humble Indie Bundle with Super Meat Boy and Dust Force...

I'll have my people talk to the humble bundle people and get it sorted  Grin
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:03:02 PM by Ruxar » Logged

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 04:40:33 AM »

Some new stuff added last night.

Screen Shake - Took out the angle rotation component and added tiles outside the game border so you shouldn't see any weird black borders now.

Camera Lag - Camera trail is a lot smoother.

Pixelified - Reading some comments in other threads around using particles in retro styled games, there was a fairly negative reaction to it. iZBOT's trail was using a star i think as particle element and the rocket boost was using alpha blended circles. Changed both of these to just use plain old squares, i think it fits a bit better.

P.S Gifcam is my new best friend. That thing is awesome.

TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 11:15:30 AM »

I didn't have a problem with the particles, but the new ones look pretty cool! I think one time I did have the trail block my view slightly when turning after a double jump, not a big deal but just something I noticed.

In the web player, it felt like the camera was latching on strangely at certain points, causing it to jerk (sometimes I could get it to happen if I started going right at the beginning of a level, then went back left to the edge of the map, though I noticed it a couple other times).

P.S Gifcam is my new best friend. That thing is awesome.

Gif ALL the things!

I want in on this.  Wink

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 12:36:58 AM »

In the web player, it felt like the camera was latching on strangely at certain points, causing it to jerk (sometimes I could get it to happen if I started going right at the beginning of a level, then went back left to the edge of the map, though I noticed it a couple other times).

This may be a HTML5 export quirk, I've just noticed that it's not scaling the background correctly either on HTML5.

I want in on this.  Wink

Done  Gentleman

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic