Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:07:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsiZBOT - 2D Platformer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: iZBOT - 2D Platformer  (Read 13278 times)
Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 04:59:35 AM »

Just finished of a few more levels, which has made me want to re-do the earlier levels.

Blobs are now way more blobbier.

I've updated the build on the main page, but I've taken down the HTML5 version. The exporter was having a few quirks which made it look worse than it is.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 05:06:23 AM »

Looking good!
Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 12:37:34 PM »

Forgot to mention, I added a debug level skip code to the alpha build. Just hit 'n' to go to the next level.

Here's the new blobbier blob.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 12:58:41 PM »

Tried the alpha. It was fun! Not very original, but very nice and more importantly : FUN.
I'm looking forward for the final version.

I wish I knew how to make levels like this!

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Music Vortex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 07:25:51 AM »

Looks promising, I enjoyed the demo!

I would consider using something different than saw blades, (too much Super Meat Boy influence there) maybe something like explosives? (then you can add some nice particles!) I don't know, you can come up with something else Smiley
I'd also change those sound effects, imo they don't match the game or can be better at least.

Keep it up! I'll be tracking this one  Beer!

Jose Mora-Jimenez - Composer
Website | Soundcloud|
Twitter
Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 04:53:01 AM »

Started back up on iZBOT after a Blizzard induced hibernation.

Started adding some boss fights, the screen shot below is me being an idiot by creating particles on each step.

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 02:47:15 AM »

Been slogging out some new mechanics, levels and some general polish. I'll update the build in the next few days just got to iron out a few more issues. Shooting for at least 60 levels and 3 bosses. Might need more... 

New Portals

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 01:36:29 PM »

New buttons i'm playing around with, the one on the right was the original. Trying to do a computer monitor sort of look...the colours for the buttons just don't work though right?

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 04:46:36 AM »

Had some really honest feedback from one of my mates this week. It was really good to get it, but it's planted the seed of doubt for the general direction of the game. On one hand its been a really good learning experience but i realise i'm not treading any new ground with the game itself. Still pushing ahead, but its taken the wind out of my sails somewhat.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 04:47:57 AM »

Let the feedback sink in and use it as a motivation to push the game further. I did enjoy the game when I tried it, but it could be much more!

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 05:46:17 AM »

Let the feedback sink in and use it as a motivation to push the game further. I did enjoy the game when I tried it, but it could be much more!

Thanks for that. The feedback from my friend was basically the same advice that you gave before. Going to start looking at some different mechanics and see if i can bring them in without having to start from scratch.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 05:52:30 AM »

Look for what's already there, maybe there's something in the way things interact, one element of the game's design that you really, really like and that you could develop more. I'm not completely sure what it is or how you should go about it, but you already got something good on your hands, it's just lacking that "twist", that "punctum" (I never thought I would quote Roland Barthes on TIG) that will make your game unique.

Good luck!

Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 05:56:13 AM »

Movement in your game looks really good/fun. Just watching those gifs of wall-sliding and double jumping made me want to play.

Can I ask how you decided to go with the proportions of your protagonist to the overall screen size?

This is something I agonize about for my own project (also a 2d platformer), and it's really tough to reach a decision between large sprites vs. long sight range. In your game, the protagonist is quite small relative the screen, and I think it really works for you. Do you have any insights as to how you arrived at that choice, and do you have any advice for another game dev considering using very small characters on a large screen?
Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 06:20:40 AM »

The decision to make iZBOT so small was really based on my artistic ability. The main character is only 16x16 which makes it a bit easier to draw / animate. Using gamemaker you can zoom in and out using views which you can use to scale everything up, but its a bit of a trade off between the forward visibility of where you want to jump to next.

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 05:26:49 AM »

New spinnery things to replace the standard buzz saw like things i had before (see gameplay gif above).

2nd boss is coming along, trying to get the difficulty right. Still got heaps to do, but its coming along.

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 05:23:09 AM »

Mucking around with the Surface Pro

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2014, 01:56:15 AM »

My screenshot Saturday for this week, new level and spinny thing in action.

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2014, 04:34:33 AM »

Boss guy I'm working on, i think his ass may have a bit to much waggle

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »

A preview of the first 20 levels of iZBOT. I took out the music as I'm hoping cobble together a trailer at some stage. Feedback is always welcome Smiley

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 04:49:58 AM »

Biiiiiig update to the alpha build, lots of new levels, bosses, musics. Full play through is currently taking about about 30 mins...more levels are needed.

http://ruxar.com/izbot/izbot.zip

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic