Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:33:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOKHLOS A very disgruntled group of people [Dev Blog]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: OKHLOS A very disgruntled group of people [Dev Blog]  (Read 82999 times)
roketronz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2014, 12:21:36 PM »

This week, we introduce our new trailer!

I actually don't know the first thing about video editing, but with persistence, and the invaluable help of @ashellinthepit, we made it! Enjoy! 

(TIG doesnt like youtube)

Besides from the trailer, there were two major events this week: The E3 and the PAX 2014 deadline!

I don't want to get into too much detail about the E3, because it had a lot of coverage, but anyone who was following it will have noticed that there were certain  features common to almost every game presented throughout the conferences, features that each and every person that stood on the stage highlighted over and over again.  Oddly, Okhlos has  all of those features:

• Okhlos runs at 60fps (mostly)
  • Okhlos runs at 1920x1080 (1080p), and if you run in windowed mode, you can even set higher resolutions!
  • Once, we even made Okhlos run at 5760x1080! (Three monitors!)
  • Okhlos has a dedicated server, where we manage the SVN, and commit the changes we make! We promise that is dedicated and exclusive, because no one else can use it except for us!
  • Okhlos is very social, because we tweet and post in Facebook a lot about the game!
  • Okhlos has asimmetrical gameplay. If you play Okhlos with a person next to you, the experience of each one of you will be totally different!
As you can see, Okhlos has all the features a game needs to be in a press conference... At least for this year's standards. 

Apart from the envious E3 trolling, this week we submitted Okhlos to the PAX Prime! Over the years PAX has grown to be the largest event for indie games, with thousands of people pouring in from all over the world, so it would be terribly cool to have the chance to show the game there! We are very excited! 

Finally, this may not be an official changelog post, but we added a few things in the new version we sent to PAX, so here we go! (also, I wanted to release the new changelog graphics)

- Added new heroes!

Drakularos will make that every unit heals a little after landing an attack!
Pirithous will root enemies to the ground! (Yeah, kinda ironic Tongue)
From now on, with each hero we add, we will display the amount of heroes we have!

- New camera!
We tweaked the camera, so now you can see the pixel art in all it's glory. Also, we removed the antialiasing effect. The buildings and the rest of 3D objects didn't seem grateful, but it was a incredible improvement for the sprites.

- Sounds as 3D sounds
We haven't started to integrate Gordon's sounds, so we are still using place holders in order to have some audio feedback for things happening, but we had run into some problems. The music was too loud, and the sfx were almost imperceptible. We solved this by setting the sound effects as 3D sounds, which means that their volume, intensity and other settings is adjusted by its position in the game world. 
- Bug fixing, as always
Because it is so much fun! 

Well, that's pretty much about it for this week! Let us know what you think of the trailer and the changes!

Sly
Level 0

Pug Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: June 12, 2014, 02:34:36 PM »

I just wrote a nice, lengthy reply and accidentally hit the back button Angry

Anyways, I had written that the trailer looks great and I was very impressed by it, I also wrote that I'm rooting for you guys to get in to PAX and posted this image along with my message:

Then I said something about how I loved the new heroes and how I think Darkularos sounds badass, I complimented the camera, and expressed how thrilled I was to hear that you guys were implementing 3D sounds.

Oh yeah and then I was asking what your guys' plans were for the game's optimization. I have a 1440x900 monitor, so it kind of sucks when I have to play games with two fat, black bars on the top and bottom of my screen while I play, and I think that options for turning down/off any shadows, ambient occlusion, or even particle effects we got going on would be cool as well because you wouldn't believe how much that stuff sets my computer back.

Anyways, thanks for the update Smiley Every update gets me even more pumped to try this game, I can barely stand watching the game improve and having to wait for release Screamy

Good luck on getting to PAX and for the rest of your guys' development! Have a good one!

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2014, 02:45:13 PM »

Love the new angle and the even more glorious pixels. Still can't tell what the heck is going on Tongue

Are those giant bosses I see? Epic.

LightEnt
Level 1

Power to the action-platformer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2014, 11:56:44 PM »

This devlog is brilliant

The other hero type is a buffer. The troubadour will sing, boosting the stats of nearby units. As the Psychics, they don't attack. You can't play the lyre and punch something at the same time!

and this effect makes me happy

~Light

Devlog| Tumblr
roketronz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2014, 03:35:07 AM »

I just wrote a nice, lengthy reply and accidentally hit the back button Angry

Anyways, I had written that the trailer looks great and I was very impressed by it, I also wrote that I'm rooting for you guys to get in to PAX and posted this image along with my message:

Then I said something about how I loved the new heroes and how I think Darkularos sounds badass, I complimented the camera, and expressed how thrilled I was to hear that you guys were implementing 3D sounds.

Oh yeah and then I was asking what your guys' plans were for the game's optimization. I have a 1440x900 monitor, so it kind of sucks when I have to play games with two fat, black bars on the top and bottom of my screen while I play, and I think that options for turning down/off any shadows, ambient occlusion, or even particle effects we got going on would be cool as well because you wouldn't believe how much that stuff sets my computer back.

Anyways, thanks for the update Smiley Every update gets me even more pumped to try this game, I can barely stand watching the game improve and having to wait for release Screamy

Good luck on getting to PAX and for the rest of your guys' development! Have a good one!

Like always, thanks for posting. This kind of comment really encourage us!

From the optimization side, we are not focusing on optimization, at all. We really want to understand the game, and what makes it fun, and also experimenting a little further with the visuals. Once we have that, we will be focusing on making it run in every machine we could.
BUT! Using Unity really helps. Unity lets the users set the resolution they want. So there will be NO black borders, no matter if you are using a 4:3, 16:9 or any kind of monitor.

This week, we removed the AA, and it boost a little the performance, it also makes the sprites A LOT sharpen. So it was a good thing. The ambient occlusion looks cool, but I dont know if we'll use it (we have a few early screenshots taken with that). As I said, we are really experimenting what looks cool, and what things we should change/remove. Having said that, we think that any camera effect we had, should be able to enable it or remove it from options.

Removing particles it's a little more tricky, because there is a lot of feedback going on with them. I think we can do some optimizations with that, but we didnt get into that yet.

Again, thanks for the comments! Really appreciated

Love the new angle and the even more glorious pixels. Still can't tell what the heck is going on Tongue

Are those giant bosses I see? Epic.
Yes! There will be twelve gods, and a few subbosses, which they are also huge!
That happens to everyone who plays it. Once you had a few sessions, you start getting whats going on really quick.

This devlog is brilliant

The other hero type is a buffer. The troubadour will sing, boosting the stats of nearby units. As the Psychics, they don't attack. You can't play the lyre and punch something at the same time!

and this effect makes me happy
Thanks!! We had to buy a lyre to corroborate on that one!

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2014, 03:51:52 AM »

Good research pays off. I like the art direction and general aesthetic of the game. Following.

roketronz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2014, 12:07:05 PM »

Showing your work is incredibly important in this industry. A trailer can be your calling card. Putting together a nice-looking trailer can help showing the features of a game, without the need of having the game finished. Because of this, we wanted to to set up a trailer for Okhlos.

We had already made a few videos, but we wanted something fancy for our first "official trailer". It ended up being much more work than we expected. However, we feel that we learned a lot, and that it might be a good idea to share some tips based on the insight we gained while making a gameplay trailer.

First of all, a little disclaimer. I'm no pro at video editing, so this probably will be totally useless for anyone who has some experience in the subject. These tips are aimed mainly at anyone with no professional experience who wants to make a trailer, much like our case.

Disclaimer aside, here we go. At first, you might think that making a gameplay trailer is easy, because you only  have to show gameplay, but trust me on this one, it's not so simple. 

Planning

One of the things we learned, is that carefully planning what you want to show will save you lots of time. We established which were the cool parts that we wanted to show to the world, and we made a list out of them.

Well, any kind of list is good enough.

Then, you have to set up the narrative of the trailer, and the order in which each segment will be shown. That will take you some time but it's important to have the pace and climax of the trailer clearly lined out.

Setting the pace was kind of easy, because we had the track made by @ashellinthepit, so we could work having the course set by the track. It was a good kind of restriction, because it gave us a very solid structure. 

Footage, footage, and some more footage

You might think that recording a few play sessions is enough, but you need LOTS of footage.

We knew which things we wanted to show, but in order to have some variety (keep in mind that at the moment of making the trailer we only had the first level completed) we had to take multiple captures of each feature throughout different playthroughs. Changing the how the level looks and having a different mob also helped to make each segment feel different.

So,  be ready to record A LOT of footage. We made 61 video captures. We had 20gb or 10 minutes worth of videos JUST for this trailer. We knew the length of the trailer (45 secs approximately) because of the track. And I think having footage worth 10 times the length you are aiming for, is a good ratio.

Morale of the story, you need to make multiple recordings of each feature. You will need them in the editing room.

Embrace the editor

Having drafts of each segment, we noticed that there were a few things that we didn't have implemented at the time. Also, assembling different kinds of mobs we wanted to show would have taken too much time if we did it playing the game. In this context, using Unity really helped us a lot. We could simply threw out things in the scene and capture them on video.

This is an unnecessary wide screenshot, but is cool to show the behind the scenes.

So, being able to edit the game in whatever way we needed, on runtime, was really helpful while making the trailer.

The only problem was that, as of version 3.5.7, Unity doesn't allow you to display the editor view in fullscreen. So, all the footage we captured this way, had to be scaled in the video editor. For this, I recommend recording always with the window at the exactly same size, and in the same position, so when you apply the cut, you can save the numbers and do it automatically. 

How to record

To capture video we use Fraps, which is a super cool program to do it. It's proved to be really helpful but there other things you should know while capturing video:
  • Keep in mind that recording video is a very intensive task for your machine, so try to do it in the more powerful machine you could find. We captured the video in my computer, which is the most powerful computer we have in the office.
  • Ideally you want to have two HDDs. One, were the SO and the game are, and another in which you output the data recorded. Fraps its not so good when it's reading and writing the same HDD
  • Something very importante, is taking the time to carefully rename each segment you record. When you have 60+ videos called Okhlos2014-[...].avi, you don't want to have to decipher the thumbnail, or having to open each video to see what's in there. Rename every capture you take, with a declarative name, like why you recorded that segment.
  • Also, try to keep the segments short . It's better to have thousands of little files, than two or three incredible large files. You will have to edit the clip on the editing software anyways, but if you are editing and find out that you will definitely not use a clip, its easier to erase it.
Aside from this, an amazing thing I found out, (a little late maybe), is that the awesome VLC, not only is an awesome player, but also EDITS videos! This was an amazing finding, because it allowed me to remove long movies from the video project and instead use smaller ones.

You have to enable advanced controls, and there you have it! You can transform larger videos in smaller ones! It looks something like this:

You have to press rec to start recording, and again to stop recording. This will generate a video in "My documents" folder (I didn't spend much time trying to change the output folder).

So, in short, using VLC will save you lots of time, and a more malleable video project. 

The Software

Finally, a few notes on the software I used to edit the video.

As I'm no video editor professional, I went for the easier choice, which is to use Adobe Premiere. It's pretty straightforward, and once you get the hang of it, it's really easy to manage clips. I can imagine that there are more professional software for this, but Premiere gives you all the tools you might need for an indie trailer.

Having a multiple monitors setup, really helps previewing the work, while arranging the timeline, or your files.

Another thing I learned using premiere is that pressing Enter really improves the fps of the preview window. What it does is still a mystery to me, it has something to do with a render, and it will take a lot of space from your HDD. My educated guess is that renders everything in the preview size, for better handling.

On a final note on the software issue, something that really helped me a lot is to have some configuration guidelines for youtube videos.

So, here you are. The important parts are H.264 in format. VBR on Bitrate, and the target resolution to be 1920x1080 (at least for 1080p on Youtube). Previously, Youtube didn't support more than 30fps, but as for now, they can reproduce 60fps. Also, it's very likely that you will be making more than one video, so save these settings into a preset for future projects. 

Audio

As I said before, the audio was made by Gordon, who is our musician and sfx guy. At first we thought that the track alone would be enough for our first trailer, and it was an invaluable aid to set the timing, but once we had the trailer, Gordon offered to add some SFX.

Adding sound effects really boosted the experience of the trailer. You can really notice the difference between one and another. So, if you have a musician, don't hesitate on using him/her for the trailer.

Now, If you don't have one yet, but you want to show your work, you can always search for a creative commons track. Besides that, is important to turn off any music (final or placeholders) that you might have in the game. If you have sfx integrated, try to capture the video with the audio, and lower the audio volume of the clips. 

Now, do it again

What might be absurd in any other context, in art it's a very common thing.  Iterate.

The thing that most helped the trailer, was to do it twice. I made an early version of the trailer, from which I learned a lot, but I did it very quickly. I finished the first trailer in almost a day.

This is how the first version looked . We changed the name for Gameplay video because it was no trailer. Also, we uploaded the video, but we didn't share it, or make fuzz about it. Once I had the video, I shared it with a few acquaintances. This provided me lots of feedback for the final version, but what I found more interesting was seeing what each person thought was the most important part in Okhlos. Some wanted to show large mobs, others absurdly non practical camera zooms. Every person had a different view of what Okhlos was, and thanks to the trailer, we could explore some of those requests and boost expectation of the viewers on some weird psychological level. [Dubious][Citation needed]

With all this feedback, I remade the trailer. I captured everything I needed again, and we made a lot of changes from the original idea.

Remaking the trailer from scratch might sound dumb, but in this day and age, a good trailer is your packaging. So spend all the time you might need working on it. If you are more organized than I am, you might not need to recapture video, but you will most definitely have to make more than a version of your trailer and iterate on it. 

Taking all that into consideration, here is a look at our new trailer. You might not think it is the best trailer the industry had seen, but all the advice given will definitely help you show your work in a cooler way.  

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2014, 02:30:58 PM »

That's a really great write-up, you should definitely post it around outside of here... oh wait just saw the repost @ reddit you sly dog you!

I would use open broadcasting system over fraps, found since it's designed for streaming that it is better optimized and interferes with framerates etc a lot less.

Also if you are on linux and want to give a free editor a try, openshot is really good. I just finished a huge 2-hour live musical editing project and it worked well. Premier is definitely a great program though, that's what I learned on back in the day. I'm curious if you had any trouble with it crashing, I remember it crashing a lot.

Where is the line between tailoring the levels for capture to make a good trailer, and misleading the audience? Obviously with Okhlos, most of what you can see in the trailer is a pleasant variety of insanity - I think it would be hard to pick out later on something in the trailer and say "Oh but the final game didn't work like that". But on a wider level, you have cases like Watch dogs and that Alien game where people actually noticed what was going on.

Thanks for the write up.

roketronz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2014, 06:44:02 PM »

That's a really great write-up, you should definitely post it around outside of here... oh wait just saw the repost @ reddit you sly dog you!

I would use open broadcasting system over fraps, found since it's designed for streaming that it is better optimized and interferes with framerates etc a lot less.

Also if you are on linux and want to give a free editor a try, openshot is really good. I just finished a huge 2-hour live musical editing project and it worked well. Premier is definitely a great program though, that's what I learned on back in the day. I'm curious if you had any trouble with it crashing, I remember it crashing a lot.

Where is the line between tailoring the levels for capture to make a good trailer, and misleading the audience? Obviously with Okhlos, most of what you can see in the trailer is a pleasant variety of insanity - I think it would be hard to pick out later on something in the trailer and say "Oh but the final game didn't work like that". But on a wider level, you have cases like Watch dogs and that Alien game where people actually noticed what was going on.

Thanks for the write up.

Hehehe, thanks!

I've never heard of that one. I will check it out. Thanks for the suggestion! (Fraps is good, but is far from perfect)

Unfortunately, we don't use Linux. About Premiere, I'm using CS6 on W7 x64, and I never had a single crash. I always work on 1080p, with lots of files into the project. But, as I said on the update, I'm no expert on this subject, and I don't use the program so often.

I think you are right about "enhancing" the game in the trailer, but I think the line should be pretty clear. I used the editor to save time. It would take me too much time to gather different kinds of mobs into the game to record it, so I drag the units I like and put them into the game.

In the case of Watch dogs, they really do something else. You can see that very clearly. When we recorded for the trailer, we were using the same quality settings the final build will have.

I think the perks of using the editor must be to save time, not to lie about the game. In the same way, if we share a photoshoped screenshot, that will be pretty much the same thing, that's lying.

That was a very interesting topic, thanks for bringing that up!

Voley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2014, 05:57:58 AM »

Why fucked up noses? This makes no sense. Otherwise art is good.
roketronz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: July 04, 2014, 09:47:34 AM »

Why fucked up noses? This makes no sense. Otherwise art is good.

Hi!
The reason for the big noses, is that the pixel art in this game is REALLY tiny, so we wanted to exaggerate some characteristics of the characters. Like, the two black pixels are the eyes, and the red one it's the nose. We thought it helped reading the face.

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: July 04, 2014, 03:15:56 PM »

Really nice stuff. There's such an improvement in the 2nd one with the zooms and pacing in particular. Great work!

GrinningPickle
Level 0

Dense and flavourful.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: July 04, 2014, 06:17:08 PM »

This looks super cool!

Nicely detailed devlog as well, will be following your progress for sure.

mft-dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2014, 10:35:09 PM »

This looks quirky, my kind of thing.
SebastianGioseffi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2014, 12:42:29 PM »

Did we ever mention how important heroes are in Okhlos? No? Are you sure? Well, they are. Very. So creating heroes has been a task that we have been working on from almost day one, and something we will probably keep on doing until the very last day of development (or at least beta). Here is an update on some of the latest ones we have developed. Enjoy!

BELLEROPHON

Now this is an old school hero. Before Heracles, before Perseus, before all these new kids on the block took the scene there was Bellerophon.

He started his journeys as an exile, seeking penance for a crime he had committed. He then proved to have the remarkable ability to make enemies in very high places, and as a result  he spent most of the time on seemingly impossible quests intended to kill him (sounds familiar, Heracles?). The most notable of these was the slaying the Chimera (the fire-breathing part-lion, part-snake, part-goat monster we have all come to love and fear), for which he got himself a flying steed, no other than Pegasus. Bellerophon's fame and glory grew with each victory until eventually he thought he had earned the right to fly with Pegasus to the top of mount Olympus. Big mistake. The always nice and amicable Zeus politely disagreed and sent Bellerophon flying back to earth, blinding and crippling him in the process. Zeus also kept Pegasus because he fancied a flying horse, and  Bellerophon, disgraced and disfigured, spent his last days pitiful as a hermit, away from civilization.

What is Bellerophon's part in Okhlos? Well, his tale was very interesting, and there were lots of elements from which we could create mechanics but in the end we focused on one aspect, the loner hero. Not only did he start as an exile and ended as a hermit, but at his prime he thought himself to be better than any other mortal, so we came up with a mechanic that plays around this. Bellerophon stats increase as the mob's size decreases, and he gets weaker as the mob's size increases. This makes him a very atypical hero, and the perfect choice for players who would like to try a run with a very small mob. Normally it would be close to suicide to face the gods will only a handful of people in the mob but heroes like Bellerophon make it possible. And perhaps this way Bellerophon will get his revenge on his old pal Zeus.

Sprite-wise, Bellerophon is the tallest unit so far. Roque wanted to transmit the idea of this larger than life hero, someone that looked like he could take on an army on himself, so his body was based on that of Sir Gregor Clegane, also known as The Mountain, from Game of Thrones. If you don't know Gregor, his knickname should give you a hint about how he looks: massive, imposing, not that easy to find t-shirts that fit him nicely in most stores.

PANDORA

Pandora was another very interesting character. You probably all know her story, or at least some version of the story. Or perhaps not. All I knew before researching a little bit was there was a box involved, lots of evils coming out of it and some hope in the end. I didn't know that according to the myth she was the first woman, created by Zeus to punish humanity for using fire to cook food and not starve to death (although that last part doesn't surprise me at all, #ZEUSISADICK). There are also a lot of parallels between Pandora and Eve from the judeo-christian myth, but I think there is a story that bears even more resemblance to that of Pandora: the story of the Smurfette. Both were created by the villain, both were intended to harm the good guys, and in the end both were turned blond and became regular cast members. But I digress.

Back to Okhlos. While designing a mechanic for Pandora we went straight for the core of the myth: the box, or the jar, depending on the source. Let's say container. We can all agree it was some kind of container. Probably not a Tupperware. Although it would have been a really good choice. You want to keep all those evils fresh. But I digress. Back to Pandora's box. There aren't that many containers in the game but we do have some: the item containers, the things you can destroy and find items inside. So we decided that having Pandora in mob would increase the chances of getting an item every time you destroy one these containers. However, her presence would mean that there would also be a small chance of a monster spawning from the container instead of an item. Pandora is one of those heroes that can be very useful but has a setback, which seemed to us was quite fitting with the myth, and also suits the concept of a Pandora's Box.

ATALANTA

So far most of the heroes we have added to the game were men, and the few women that we did include either had a downside (like Pandora) or were not as heroic as their male counter parts. Partly this is simply  because most of the heroes in the myths are men, but we thought we could still find some cool, kickass heroines throughout the mythos and so we did. Atalanta is a perfect example of this. As baby she left to die in the wilderness by her father, King Iasus, but she managed to survive, growing up in the woods and becoming a superb huntress and fighter. She took part in the most epic quest of her time, the hunt of the Calydonean Boar, was the first to draw blood and got to keep the hide of the beast. No small feat, considering she was competing with pretty much every hero around (except Heracles who had already killed another boar so he didn't bother). Robert Graves also puts her as one of the Argonauts, being once again part of a dream team of heroes and kicking serious ass. However, she is perhaps best well know for almost supernatural speed.

Atalanta was the fastest runner alive at the time, able to beat anyone in a foot race. So when her father the king (who after seeing that her daughter had slain the boar, beating all other heroes, decided to forget all that nonsense about leaving her to die in woods and take her back) told her she had to get married,  Atalanta, who wasn't into that marriage thing,  said she would only marry the man that could beat in her in a race (and would kill any who failed, just to spice things up).  Many did die trying to beat her until the pesky gods once again interfered, Aphrodite this time, and one man Hippomenes was able to defeat and marry her. And then one of the gods, either Zeus, Rhea or Aphrodite herself, turned them both into lions. Because that's what the gods do.

Anyway, Atalanta's role in the mob was easy to figure out. She was a perfect fit for the stat boosting heroes. Who better than the fastest runner in the ancient Greece to improve the mob's speed modifier? So if you get Atalanta, she will provide a huge bonus to the units' speed, making everyone run faster. And also she will kill as many cyclops, centaurs and other Olympian spawns as she can while everybody is running around.

And that is all for now. We have been working on several other heroes these last weeks, but that we will leave them for another time. Until then, here is the updated hero count!
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 23, 2014, 07:41:32 AM »

This looks sweet. I saw the trailer months ago on some other site, didn't realize you had a devlog here. SmileyToast Right
roketronz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2014, 08:13:15 AM »

This looks sweet. I saw the trailer months ago on some other site, didn't realize you had a devlog here. SmileyToast Right

WinkToast Right

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2014, 08:22:20 AM »

I might have missed something but is there a beta/early access for this?! ME WANT TO PLAY Mock Anger

roketronz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: July 28, 2014, 10:16:46 AM »

I might have missed something but is there a beta/early access for this?! ME WANT TO PLAY Mock Anger

Not yet.

We think we might do a very closed beta in December. But is just a possibility. We will ask for players here if we do it!

roketronz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: August 11, 2014, 09:56:15 AM »

These past few weeks, we've been working on lots of new stuff. Among them, there are new levels, enemies, and heroes! But since we were already in the tpoic of heroes, in this update, we will be introducing the rest of the heroes we have been working on. 

Andromeda is a very interesting character. She was held to a cliff to feed some monster, but Perseus ruined the day. At least for the monster.

In Okhlos, Andromeda will boost the mob's overall hp.

At first, I drew her with green hair, as a very obvious nod to a certain character also representing Andromeda, but it was way too obvious.

The cool thing about Antigone, is that she hasn't been much explored  in popular culture. It's not one of the classic characters you find in every Greek-mythology-based thing. Also, it's amazing she didn't came out plain stupid, because of her mother and grandmother were the same person.

In Okhlos, Antigone will give the mob more cohesion.

In this screenshot, you can see how more or less cohesion will affect your mob.

So far, the Dioscury, are the only hero that are technically two. They were guest stars in a lot of myths, like the Calydonian boar hunt, and the Argonauts expeditions.

In Okhlos, they will boost the overall attack of the mob.

My first intention, was to make her clothes red. That was obvious and inaccurate, so I turned into more research. Finding reference images of Electra was very annoying because of  the saturation of other Electras (And trust me, Google images is FULL of pics of them).

Electra has bad reputation because of Freud (technically, Magneto), but it has nothing to do with the original myths. As Antigone, which is the daughter of Oedipus, a hero already in Okhlos, she is the daughter of Agamemnon.

In Okhlos, she will make the mob move and attack faster.

Finally, Helen played a fundamental role in the Trojan war. Also, she is one of the first characters of the Trojan war we introduce! The Trojan war it's likely to be a real conflict, with some poetic licenses, triggered by her running away with Legolas.

Also, she is the sister of the Disocury, so this week, we introduced a lot of family members in the game.

In Okhlos, she will raise up all the attack stats in the mob, BUT also will reduce your cohesion a lot! 

So that's it for this week! Next week, we will show you our first steps into the new levels!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic