Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 04:52:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBounce - Overhead breakout-style game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bounce - Overhead breakout-style game  (Read 3788 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2013, 06:13:07 PM »

Bounce is basically overhead breakout .. instead of a paddle you get an octagon, and you can move anywhere on the screen.  In addition, the ball doesn't go out of bounds, it bounces off the edge of the screen. However, there's spikes which only effect the ball, so you want to avoid bouncing the ball into them (The spikes won't hurt you though).

You can hold down the mouse to phase, which causes enemies and their shots to pass through you.  If your ball touches your ship while phasing, you'll recapture it and can relaunch it.  However your phase is on a limited meter, so you can't use it all the time .. there's also a combo system where you can destroy multiple bricks w/o recapturing the ball or hitting the edges of the screen.

There's different types of bricks, enemies, turrets you can place .. lots of stuff.  So far I've got the art, music and basic .fla file ready to start on .. I don't know how fast I'll be going, we'll see how it goes.

So why did I decide to make this game?  I wanted to try something different with one of the oldest genres, and see if I could do something new.  Hopefully it works out :p

http://rydia.net/udder/prog/bounce/index.html

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 10:19:53 AM by Udderdude » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 05:55:51 AM »

Thanks, I'm still afraid it'll be too difficult to distinguish things when actually playing the game, but we'll see how it works out.  Maybe more shades of green are required .. :p
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:32:19 AM »

This is cool!

Are you working on any other games too?  Blink

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 06:43:55 AM »

I have 12 games I want to make, this is one of them .. Crazy
dto1138
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 07:55:55 AM »

Udderdude this looks great. I am continually impressed with your discipline in carefully designing the game beforehand. Smiley Let me know if you want some playtesting/feedback.
dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 10:03:20 AM »

You should try composing a mockup image of how it would look all together. That would give a better idea of what to expect, and how the green theme looks. I like the designs, but, I would also like to see some glow effect for a "neon-like" style, to compare.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 10:55:56 AM »

Mockups are for wusses #swag #yolo #rekt

Kidding.  I would do a mockup if I wasn't about a day's worth of work away from having a working prototype.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 11:05:15 AM by Udderdude » Logged
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 11:17:55 AM »

MAKE THIS GREEN LINES IN FULL 3D PLEASE!  Evil

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »

I don't know anything about 3D, so .. Shrug
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 06:49:40 AM »

So what the hell happened to this game?  Well, basically I decided to do preliminary work on some of the other games I'm planning on making.  I also did some more updates on the existing games.  That means this project was on hold for awhile.  But the good news is I have 4 projects ready to start on instead of just this one.  I'm going to resume working on this as soon as I find some motivation/energy to start coding seriously .. >_>
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 03:53:31 PM »

Got the basics working and the first level is functional.  At this point it's basically a working breakout game, but of course I'm just getting started ..

Despite spending tons of time making design documents, finding music, making art and sounds and Flash layouts/codebases, it's just now feeling like I'm starting to work on these new games by getting something up and running.  Even with the amount of work I've already done.  Funny how that works out. >_>
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 04:48:24 PM »

Got 6 of the starting levels so far, I feel there may be some changes in store for this one, though .. not entirely sure how to explain the "phase to recapture the ball" mechanic to the player.  Maybe it should be simplified in some way?  Maybe i'll change it so the ball is automatically recaptured if it touches your ship while you're phased.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 06:03:16 PM »

Still working on getting a demo out for people to test.  It's been pretty rough, mostly because I've never seen this kind of game done before, or at least not in this paticular way ..

Considering making two types of levels, one with a lot of closed spaces and one with large ones, and let the player choose which to play.

Edit: Feedback thread is up! http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=36245.0
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:42:32 AM by Udderdude » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 10:37:09 AM »

Got a demo out (see prev. post) and got all of the game elements and enemies implemented!  Now to do a whole bunch of levels ..
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »

Still fooling around with various mechanics and stuff based on feedback, I also changed the life system so instead of the ship and ball sharing life, they each have seperate life and invincibility periods.  It was pretty wierd when the ball would take damage, and your ship's shield would activate.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 05:58:13 AM »

Made a pretty big change to one of the collectable items today .. the Phase Up collectable was replaced with Freeze Up.  This causes all enemies/enemy portals to freeze for 3 seconds.  I think this is more interesting than the Phase Up was, as all it did was restore some of your phase bar.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »

While nobody was looking, I finished this thing.  Grab it here - http://rydia.net/udder/prog/bounce/index.html

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic