Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:51:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCodename: Warplane - Classic Arcade-Style WW2 SHMUP
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Codename: Warplane - Classic Arcade-Style WW2 SHMUP  (Read 15319 times)
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 03:46:51 PM »

@trentg: The game will be similar to 1942, especially since it will be over the ocean and there will be boss fights.  We plan on having at least one enemy warship though, where 1942 only had enemy warplanes.  There will be more bullets on screen than there were in 1942, but we definitely do not want as many as are commonly seen in "bullet hell" SHMUPs.

@panicBarn: I don't want the game to deviate from the genre too much.  One feature we are prototyping though is an ammo-limited cannon in addition to your normal weapon (which is not ammo-limited).  I can't remember a classic SHMUP which had a weapon like this, so it could be considered unusual Smiley

Thanks for the replies everyone!

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 04:10:11 PM »

I think I've finally figured out the theory behind the CRT effect.  Here is a mockup I did in Jasc Paint Shop Pro:

Original (no CRT effect)

CRT Effect (click to enlarge)

Now I need to get it working in-game Smiley  The effect is currently a little big, since I am using a 2x2 square of pixels to represent one element of the CRT display.  I'm probably going to reduce that to a 1-to-1 ratio.  You won't be able to make out the phosphors at that size, but it should still look good.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 05:55:52 PM »

Where does I get test version? :3
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 08:06:48 PM »

@Udderdude: I haven't released a demo yet, but I might release some playable prototypes in the future Coffee
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 08:50:27 PM by InvisibleMan » Logged

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »

After starting to learn AGAL 24 hours ago, I've amassed enough "gotchas" that I believe it is time for another edition of The Devil's Details.  This time it will focus on Adobe's shader language for Stage3D, AGAL.

The Devil's Details

1. No Immediate Values
This is a bit of a pain.  You can't say simply "add ft0, 5, 10" in order to add 5 + 10 and put the result in ft0; instead, you have to place 5 and 10 into constant registers from your program before you render!  This applies to any immediate value, so you also can't do something like "mov oc, [1, 0, 0, 1]" to output a red color, or "mul ft0, v0, 2" to double the value of a varying register.  You would have to do something like "add ft0.x, fc0.x, fc0.y" or "mov oc, fc0" or "mul ft0, v0, fc0.x".

2. Lines Must End in a Line Feed!
If you are constructing the shader's source code within an ActionScript file by building a string please do not forget to end each line with "\n"!
For example, do this:
Code:
fragmentSource = "mov ft0, fc0\n" + "mov oc, ft0\n";

not this:
Code:
fragmentSource = "mov ft0, fc0" + "mov oc, ft0";

Forgetting the line feeds will cause really strange errors that are in no way helpful!  For example: "Fragment Write All Components".

3. Triangle Lists Only: No Triangle Strips, Fans, etc.
The only supported render type is a triangle list.  You can use an index buffer to mitigate the effects of this, so I don't think it will be a show-stopper.  It's something to be aware of though.

4. Cannot Render to Texture Subregion
If you are rendering to a texture, there is no way to tell it what subregion to render to; the entire texture will be used.  This is a little bit of a problem for me, since I wanted to render a specific resolution to the texture.  I can probably work around this by using "nearest" sampling and a larger-than-needed texture though.

Scanlines

As far as actual progress goes, I managed to write a fragment shader that adds "scanlines" in real-time!  Now, by "scanlines" I just mean alternating black horizontal lines.  This is not a perfect CRT emulation, and it doesn't even look terribly good; the screen becomes much darker with all those black lines on it.  It is, however, the first step Smiley

Here is the shader's code if you are interested.  It's intended to run on a single fullscreen quad (pair of triangles) that has a texture stretched across it of the rendered scene.  So this would run on a texture after rendering the game to that texture.

Vertex Shader
Code:
// Inputs:
//   va0 = vertex position
//   va1 = vertex UV
//
// Ouputs:
//   v0 = UV
//   v1 = position in clip space

mov v0, va1
mov v1, va0
mov op, va0

Fragment Shader
Code:
// Inputs:
//   fs0 = The texture that the game was rendered to.
//   v0 = UV
//   v1 = position in clip space
//   fc0.x = 2
//   fc0.y = half the screen's height

tex ft0, v0, fs0<2d, nomip, nearest, clamp>

// Convert the y coordinate from clip-space to screen space and put it in ft1.x
mul ft1.x, v1.y, fc0.y
neg ft1.x, ft1.x

// Figure out if this is an odd-numbered horizontal line or not: ft1.x = y%2
div ft1.x, ft1.x, fc0.x
frc ft1.x, ft1.x
mul ft1.x, ft1.x, fc0.x

// If this is an odd-numbered line, this will turn the color black.  Otherwise
// the color will be left unchanged.
mul ft0, ft0, ft1.xxxx

mov oc, ft0

Next up I need to make the phosphors glow, so hopefully I'll be making a new devlog entry soon where I discuss how awesomely well that went Big Laff

Thanks goes to Somokon in this post on the Away3D forums for the modulus technique I'm using.

If you want an excellent reference for AGAL, the official "What is AGAL" article is perfect for the job.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 08:54:16 PM by InvisibleMan » Logged

goob256
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 11:46:32 PM »

Interesting shader language (I'm not s Flash user but I wrote some assembly back in the day Smiley). Pretty clever shader you got there. Smiley
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 02:01:51 PM »

@trentg: Thanks! Smiley

Sorry for going dark all of a sudden Ninja Once I started work on the rest of the shader, I felt like I had to keep going!  Fortunately, I think the shader is finished.

I decided to go with a 1:1 ratio of on-screen pixels to phosphor triples rather than a 2:1 ratio; the game is half the size of the mockup I posted earlier, so it should fit on the screen easier.  At that scale, you can't make out the individual phosphors, but I think it still looks decent.

I used a screenshot to test the shader, but it also works in real-time Smiley  Now I need to convert the rendering engine to use Stage3D so that we can see how it will really look in motion!

One interesting thing about this is that the pixels aren't square: they are rectangular.  From what I understand, this was to allow for more resolution without upgrading to more expensive arcade hardware.  I'm hoping I can find a pixel art tool that allows you to change the pixel geometry, because otherwise everything will have to be drawn long and thin Crazy

goob256
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 07:36:52 AM »

I agree, it looks pretty good. If the effect it too dramatic it's hard on the eyes. This is about right.
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 09:05:55 AM »

@trentg Thanks again!  I don't remember if I mentioned this in the devlog or not, but I plan to add an option to turn the effect off.  This way if it's annoying to the player, he can play the game without it Smiley

GAH! I apparently have trouble keeping this devlog updated on a regular basis; it's been almost a week since the last entry! Facepalm  To remedy this, I'm going to once again try and make "mini-devlogs".  This first one is probably going to be a bit long, since a lot has happened.  I plan on writing a shorter one next though.

So, I did a bit of research into arcade hardware and general game development techniques from that era.  I learned some interesting things, such as how scrolling worked, hardware-level information, and what a "name table" is/was1.

I want the game's engine to be designed with similar aesthetic limitations that developers had to work with in around the 80s.  However, this is a delicate balancing act between making a full-on emulator style engine vs. making an engine that is only vaguely reminiscent of that era; the first would be overkill, and the second would cheapen the game.

I'm not going to try and implement too many strictly technical limitations (such as a specific CPU) because I am not entirely sure how I would do it in an optimal way, and it feels like I would drift too far towards the "emulator" side anyways.  Obviously a lot of the aesthetic limitations are technical in nature, so again we have a balancing act.

I want to try and get the story and mechanics feeling correct for an 80s era game, which should hopefully be a bit less problematic than technical/aesthetic limitations.

I debated working on the backgrounds system first, but I think it might be easier, and cooler Ninja, to get sprites working.  It appears as though games of that era used a tilemap system even for the sprites; so those large sprites are actually a tilemap of smaller sprite "chunks".  I don't think I will be directly emulating this aspect, since there would be little point.  The sprites should probably be designed with this in mind though.

1. Apparently it's what we now call a "tilemap".

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 09:37:58 AM »

The pixels need to be rectangular rather than square.  This was originally a trick to get more resolution out of the same equipment; increase the amount of data per scanline without needing additional scanlines.

However, it is difficult to draw with square pixels and make them "rectangular".  I was trying to find a pixel art program (or any kind of drawing program!) that supported changing the pixel aspect ratio, but other than Photoshop (which is too expensive for our budget) I couldn't find anything.  The closest I got was grafx2, but it only supported 1:1, 1:2, 2:2, and other such ratios; I need a pixel aspect ratio of 7:12.

Fortunately I discovered a workaround: Using my graphics drivers, I can define a custom resolution (746x1024 in this case) which forces the pixels to be rectangular!  This makes the "rectangular" pixel art look relatively normal, so I can draw easier.

I'm live streaming the pixel art that I'm doing, so if you want to watch this wacky art style, please head on over to http://www.twitch.tv/invisibleman6.  I'll see you there!  Coffee

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 08:09:20 AM »

Here is the player's warplane sprite that I drew yesterday:

It's technically a 2x2 tilemap of 16x16 tiles Smiley  The rendering engine doesn't accept tilemaps for sprites, but it's good to keep it in mind.

In my initial attempts at rendering that sprite, it came out looking like this:

Now, it might look like the sprite I posted above (except with blank scanlines), but that is exactly the problem: It was supposed to be compressed vertically, but it wasn't.  It looks a bit long, and the wings look a bit short, beccause it was drawn with the expectation that it would be compressed...  So I definitely need to fix something.

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »

Well, I found the problem: Apparently the pixel aspect ratio I calculated was incorrect  Facepalm Rather than 7:12 I actually need 6:5 and a screen resolution of 1067x1024 for spriting.  So the rendering wasn't bugged; the sprite was wrong.

This of course means that I will need to redraw the sprite.  But I suppose that's not too bad; I get better at it each time Smiley

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2013, 10:02:02 AM »

The new sprite is done!  Here is the in-game screenshot:

And here is the actual sprite:

This is with a 6:5 pixel aspect ratio, which is apparently correct Smiley  Now I just need to get a proper sprite system in place (there isn't much of a "system" at the moment).  I should probably also investigate how to detect keyboard input in AS3 without using FlashPunk...  It would make running these tests easier, assuming getting the input itself isn't difficult.

I'm also considering adding a "curve" to the CRT effect, and rounded corners...  I might experiment with that next actually.

goob256
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2013, 10:09:14 AM »

That effect really makes the sprite look good! Smiley

Looking forward to more. Cheers!
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 09:22:41 AM »

What will you do to simulate the CRT curvature? I'm fighting against shaders for my game too Smiley (It's an entire world to discover).

P.S. I'm following this from time ago Smiley Looks cool  Kiss
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 09:34:26 AM »

@trentg: Thanks! Coffee

@karlozalb: I'm not entirely sure; I haven't researched how people commonly do the effect. I'm thinking something along the lines of sampling from the texture by applying a sin() and cos() weight to the texture coordinates.  And thanks!  It's good to know that people have been following the project Smiley

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2013, 08:44:39 AM »

I've been working on getting multiple sprites to render at once.  Here is the result Smiley

2,628 sprites are being rendered to random locations every frame at 60 frames per second.  This unfortunately drops to 30 FPS on our current low-end target machine, but the game should still be playable at that rate I hope.

I'm using a single vertex buffer to store the information for every sprite.  This vertex buffer is being uploaded to the GPU every frame before the sprites are rendered.  A single sprite is made up of two triangles to form a rectangle; triangle strips are not supported by Stage3D.  If anyone has some tips on how to make this run faster, please let me know Coffee

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2013, 09:45:02 AM »

I've been working on getting multiple sprites to render at once.  Here is the result Smiley

2,628 sprites are being rendered to random locations every frame at 60 frames per second.  This unfortunately drops to 30 FPS on our current low-end target machine, but the game should still be playable at that rate I hope.

I'm using a single vertex buffer to store the information for every sprite.  This vertex buffer is being uploaded to the GPU every frame before the sprites are rendered.  A single sprite is made up of two triangles to form a rectangle; triangle strips are not supported by Stage3D.  If anyone has some tips on how to make this run faster, please let me know Coffee

Why are you doing this in stage3d? Wouldn't this run better just standard without that api? Or even easier to code?

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »

@rundown: I need shaders for the CRT effect, which is why I went with Stage3D.

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2013, 10:15:30 AM »

@rundown: I need shaders for the CRT effect, which is why I went with Stage3D.
Makes sense now.  Coffee Do continue!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic