Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:11:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames you can't remember the names of
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Games you can't remember the names of  (Read 385889 times)
bamcquern
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: April 12, 2014, 05:04:37 PM »

Also, reposted from Salt World:

When I was a kid there were a few times when we would find floppy disks with games we didn't remember buying. There were two more unusual times when we found games installed on our computer that we didn't remember installing.

One of these was a text/terminal-based CIA game. It was a hacking game where you broke codes (kind of like one portion of Covert Action, a game we adored) and accessed mainframes and all that. It was black and white. When we first found it, my brother and I thought we'd encountered a backdoor to a government agency, and it spooked us a little. I think it was labeled in this nondescript way and put into a nondescript folder somewhere on our hard drive.

The other game was one out of a compendium of about ten terrible games we found somewhere on our computer. In this game you played a goldfish in a bowl. You could swim back and forth and gain enough momentum to launch out of the bowl. You could fly pretty far to the right of the screen, which scrolled for some reason, but we could never get past the table, which we'd land on and die. We assumed that there was a way to a bigger aquarium, but we never managed to swim fast enough to get a good launch.
claybornp
Level 0

claypeterson.co for art things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1261 on: April 12, 2014, 06:19:05 PM »

alright, so I can't remember the name of this game I played back in maybe 1998ish on the macintosh. I'm not sure what the name of the genre is, but it was in first person perspective and you would type the action you wish to do into a text field. For example you might type "turn west" or "open door". I know that the word "seagull" was in the title, but thats all I really remember about the title. I do remember that the story line was pretty strange and you eventually went to mars. You started by entering this house, I remember that you could pet a dog, and if you looked under the fridge you found a little bug. I really want to finish playing this game if anyone has any hints as to what it may be!
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1262 on: April 12, 2014, 09:43:09 PM »

Also, reposted from Salt World:

The other game was one out of a compendium of about ten terrible games we found somewhere on our computer. In this game you played a goldfish in a bowl. You could swim back and forth and gain enough momentum to launch out of the bowl. You could fly pretty far to the right of the screen, which scrolled for some reason, but we could never get past the table, which we'd land on and die. We assumed that there was a way to a bigger aquarium, but we never managed to swim fast enough to get a good launch.

That one sounds pretty much like Chomp!, but I only know of a C64 release: http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=1456&d=18&h=0
bamcquern
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: April 12, 2014, 11:43:28 PM »

Yes! It was a PC version of Chomp, but you couldn't get to a second fish bowl. The adaptation was broken or incomplete somehow. The movement seemed more fluid than what I saw on a youtube of the C64 version, but that could be the video or my faulty memory.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1264 on: April 13, 2014, 06:55:05 PM »

I have vague memories of playing a freeware game on TIGSource similar in concept to Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, possibly an entry to one of the main compos? Multiple player characters (?), side-view platforming, the ship itself is a level containing buttons or stations that affect its movement through space.

Digging through the cockpit compo, the only one that seems close was Balloon to the Moon, although I vaguely remember more complicated ship design. Did a game like this exist or am I manufacturing or conflating memories based on the LiaDS devlog?

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1265 on: April 13, 2014, 08:12:50 PM »

I loved Masjin but after awhile there was nobody to play with.

I'm looking for what can best be described as an "iterative real-time/turn-based abstract arena shooter." It was an abstract arena shooter, as I said, like xWUNG, but the package came with multiple executables, each of which had a variation of the game. I'm not sure if any one version is the "main version."

The gameplay had a weird gimmick where it was basically an action game, but in discrete time intervals. It sort of played like a 2D SuperHot, but it didn't feel like SuperHot. It was less fluid and had more of a tactical turn-taking feel to it. It might also have had some sense of momentum to the avatar's movements.
Pretty sure that's Battle Combat Fighters x3. Go here and scroll down. http://nifflas.ni2.se/?page=Miscellaneous

bamcquern
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: April 14, 2014, 10:05:36 PM »

Yes! I didn't suspect it'd be Nifflas.
bamcquern
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: April 14, 2014, 10:16:18 PM »

Although, hmm. I have Battle Combat Fighters x3 in my games folder, and two of the iterations are familiar to me, but I still have some nagging memory of a game like this with iterations that varied the mechanics and rules more. I dunno. My memory could be false. I also don't remember the big variations in the styles of graphics. So if anyone knows of any other iterative arena shooters of any kind, please let me know. You guys are good at this (as always).
barbanium
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 16, 2014, 12:27:09 PM »

Hi people! I need help figuring out the name of this game. This request could prove a challenge for you guys due to the nature of this game but you guys might know better than me so here it goes:

I remember playing this game in a Windows XP PC and the last and only time I played it is around 2005-2009 (just ONE of those years; that's the range when I still have my XP PC). It's more likely that I played it in 2005-2007 but I'm not so sure. Publication date? No idea. I guess I could also say that the game is NOT MMORPG because the PC I'm playing this with doesn't have an internet connection at the time, and I'm not sure if it can be played in LAN-multiplayer, though it's unlikely (therefore, it's likely a single player game). Another thing I remember is I've played this along with the game Freelancer; if I get bored with one, I'll switch to the other (don't know if that's helpful Grin).

The game I'm looking for is a Chinese-style action RPG. The environment has an ancient Chinese era feel to it (like wuxia-themed) but I vaguely remember that I could read the game's text. The version of the game I've played might be part-Chinese part-English OR fan translated OR published in pure English language (don't exactly know which one it is) but I'm pretty sure it's  NOT in pure Chinese language otherwise I wouldn't have played this game at all.

Something unique that I remember about this game is that the elemental component used is NOT the typical fire, lightning, and ice OR fire, earth, wind and water, but rather based on the principle of wu xing: fire melts metal chops wood parts earth dams water extinguishes fire and also fire creates earth bears metal enriches water nourishes wood feeds fire. In other words, it has 5 elements total. I can't remember if the skills used are elemental based but I'm sure that each weapon has an elemental affinity (maybe the armors too).

The battle style of this game is NOT turn-based (like most Chinese games I googled) and is more like a Diablo-esque layout. The characters move around like the characters in a Diablo game and they fight foes in real time (just like in Diablo). Though, I wouldn't say that this is a hack and slash game cause I remember there were 2 or 3 characters always shooting magic projectiles and magic/skills are also used (maybe more like Diablo 3?). Also, like I said, the environment is Chinese-like so the setting is generally in bright daylight with colorful things around like flowers, trees, grass, brown dirt path, etc. unlike Diablo which generally has a dark setting.

One thing this game is different from Diablo in gameplay is that you can control at least 3 characters simultaneously (if you have more than 3, I'm not sure if you can control all of them at the same time or just 3 at a time but I'm sure about the fact that there's at least 3 playable characters in my screen playing this game). The appearance of these characters is NOT JRPG/anime-like (not bug-eyed) but instead, like I mentioned multiple times, is Chinese-like (google 'Chinese RPG'). I'm not so sure about this but I kinda remember starting out as a female Chinese character (with long hair and long dress and all) with an age of late-teen to young-adult with a starting weapon of a staff with wood-elemental properties (maybe her armor too). As I go through the game, I remember other characters joining my party and the first character to join is a tall muscular man (like a brute body structure) with a beast-like head (I'm not sure about this but I kinda remember his face being lion/tiger-like or wolf-like or something along those lines). He started out with a pair of claws as a weapon and they're metal-elemental. Another character I remember joining is a guy about young-adult to middle-adult old (again, with long hair and long clothes and all) with a starting weapon that resembles bracelets or rings (not sure if they're big enough to fit his wrist or small enough to fit his fingers) and has an elemental affinity of water. I recall reading part of the name of one of the buyable bracelet/ring weapons as 'pacifying OR pacifier OR pacification' (something that starts with paci-) and this is one of the reasons why I believe the game is NOT in pure Chinese language, I can read some of the text!

Based on this information, I can say that there are 2 more characters who joined my party (one started with a fire-based weapon, the other with an earth-based one) but I can't clearly remember what they look like. All I remember about them is that the one who started with a fire-based weapon wields a sword OR dual swords. The earth-based weapon? No clue.

Also, please do note that each character merely started out with one of the 5 elements but that doesn't mean they cannot equip a weapon with other elementals. In short, you can buy a type of weapon suited for a character with a different element they started with (maybe armors too). For example, the female character can wield a fire staff, water staff, metal staff, or an earth staff, but she can only wield staves.

The type of enemies I faced in this game can differ from spiders to people to tigers. At the early stage of the game, when I only had the female and the beast-faced characters, I remember entering a dungeon-like cave (again more like Diablo but the spaces where I move are wider). Inside, I battle hordes of small spiders (if not spiders, maybe small insects that crawl like one) and at the end of that cave is the huge version of those spiders which I battled as a boss. In the middle-ish part of the game, I remember having a conversation with a group of soldiers in the middle of a brown dirt path and then suddenly being in a battle against them. Then later in the game (which is probably the last part of the game I played), I was exploring a forest where tigers seldom appear which then again I battled.

Another note: I never got to finish the game so I don't exactly know how it ended. I also forgot the objective of the adventuring of the characters and the main antagonist. So, yeah.

But what I do remember is that I can run errands for people/NPC in towns as side quests (and obviously they reward me with something) and they'll treat me friendly. But I can also react in side quests with a bad behaviour option. For example, if I'm tasked to deliver things/gold (not sure if that's the real currency) I can ignore them in the first place OR keep the item/gold to myself which in turn could make them angry towards me OR even attack me.
Another detail that I can remember about this game is that I can gather materials from my surroundings like from a bunch of rocks, a stump or a healthy tree, and from my foes, like poaching their hide or obtaining their weapons, etc. just like in the game Monster Hunter. From those materials, I can craft weapons or armors OR create other materials that craft those weapons or armors.

That's all I can remember about that game for now. Sorry for being very extensive on this post but that's all I can gather from my brain so I typed it. Ask me anything about this request and I might recall something else. Thank you very much in advance for those potential helpers! :D

PS. Before posting this, I DID research and google a lot of terms for a considerable amount of time (I can usually google something in a mere seconds if not split-second :p but not this one). The game series: Xuan-Yuan Sword and Xianjian Qixia Zhuan (the most famous ones) did came out from that research and I doubt any games from those series matches the game description in my mind (though I could have missed one or two games or spin-offs so if you're sure that it fits the descriptions above then please, let me know! :D)
barbanium
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 16, 2014, 12:28:12 PM »

Summarization:

-   Played on Windows XP around 2005-2009 (just ONE of those years)
-   Chinese-style action RPG; played in single player
-   English text exists though some may be in Chinese characters or language
-   Setting has an ancient Chinese feel; surroundings with vivid colors
-   Layout is Diablo-like; battles are in real time
-   Has 5 elements: fire, water, wood, earth, and metal
-   Can control at least 3 characters at a time
-   First character is female; starting weapon is a staff with wood-elemental
-   Second character is a man with a tall, brute body structure with a beast-like face; starting weapon is a pair of claws with metal-elemental
-   Another character (not necessarily the third) is a young slim man; starting weapon is a bracelet or ring shaped with water-elemental
-   The character who starts with fire-elemental wields a sword or dual-swords
-   Characters can equip weapons with different elementals but always the same type
-   Enemies can range from spiders to tigers to humans
-   Can do errands or side quests; can pick an option to behave negatively
-   Can gather materials from surroundings or foes to craft weapons or armors
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: April 16, 2014, 12:50:28 PM »

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/seal-of-evil
maybe?

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
barbanium
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: April 16, 2014, 01:10:24 PM »

Wow! You answered so fast!

And you're right! SEAL OF EVIL!

Thank you very much!
MAVW
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1272 on: April 22, 2014, 11:01:55 PM »

I remember playing it on a video store or something, pretty sure it was on a SNES(even tho I think the game wans't FROM the NES).

You were like, a burglar and you had to collect stuff from museums, banks etc.
each layout was based on a horizontal layout of about 3-4 floors, and you could go up and down
guard were spread around the level to prevent you from stealing stuff
it has a pixel art style very similar to atari/early games i think

AquaGeneral
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 23, 2014, 12:29:35 AM »

I first saw this game on indiegames.com I think. It was a rogue-like game (if I remember correctly). It had some very emergent gameplay. In a demo, the developer was throwing rocks at the enemies.

The game is 2D side-scroller. The art-style was similar Monaco in it's neon yummy coloured lighting (also similar to Terraria in that sense).

As far as I know, this game is still in development. The last time I saw it was about 4 months ago.

Edit: Tim sent me an email, the game I was thinking of was Catacomb Kids.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:29:28 PM by AquaGeneral » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1274 on: April 23, 2014, 06:34:32 AM »

I remember playing it on a video store or something, pretty sure it was on a SNES(even tho I think the game wans't FROM the NES).

You were like, a burglar and you had to collect stuff from museums, banks etc.
each layout was based on a horizontal layout of about 3-4 floors, and you could go up and down
guard were spread around the level to prevent you from stealing stuff
it has a pixel art style very similar to atari/early games i think

sounds like either keystone kapers   or    bonanza bros
neither was on SNES though

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
MAVW
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1275 on: April 23, 2014, 10:56:28 AM »

Yes! Bonanza bros! I've mistakenly said it had an atari look because of the keystone kapers. But now I remember the place had a Mega drive as well, thanks!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: April 23, 2014, 11:50:51 AM »

OK I'm looking for a shareware or freeware game I played on an old Mac (this was pre OS X, probably OS 8 or 9).

The game was a very incompetent Mortal Kombat clone that used photos for sprites. One of the characters had some kind of beam attack that covered the entire screen and wasn't blockable. I think it had local mulitplayer and the graphics may have been black and white. I only played it once at a friend's house so memory is kinda vague.
Spyrox
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: April 23, 2014, 06:36:27 PM »

Platform: PSX (PlayStation one)
Genre: It was a fly and shoot game.
Year: Not sure. between 1985 - 2000
Perspective: 3D, third person, but could be played first person (i think)
Memorable moments: The game is about, you fly a spaceship like thing on this desert
like planet, the first goals are to destroy these pillars which protect the main pyramid
 in the middle. Once that is complete, you must then destroy the pyramid, but on top of
 it is this Giant eye of death, it shoots (lasers i think) at you, and u must avoid
 them while trying to destroy it. Its fairly hard to surpass.
The next level is on the desert planet still. And u have the same spaceship thingy, but now
your flying through a deep canyon filled with turrets shooting at you, while you avoid them
 you have to successfully drive through the canyon avoiding anything that may come in front
 of you.
Other useful information:
Characters/avatars look like?: Cant remember.

Weapons equipment?: Cant remember, but i think the ship had lasers.

Goal: Beat each level.

Plot: Unknown.

Enemies: Turrets/pillars.

Puzzles: To destroy a certain object in the game you would have to complete a certain
 sequence, like destroying pillars before the eye thing.

Art: It was on the verge between Cartoon and realistic.

Setting?: It seemed like present time, but at the same time, in future/fantasy.

Environment: Desert.
Tone/mood: Serious. It took me around 50 times to complete the first level.
 I never completed the second level.

Multiplayer?: Unknown.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1278 on: April 24, 2014, 07:24:39 AM »

Finally someone takes the time to fill out all the form

Game is Warhawk  BTW

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: May 16, 2014, 11:08:03 AM »

This game I'm looking for was a kid's point & click adventure game. It was set in the wild-west and had a cartoony and colourful style. Most of the game took place looking at a side on view of a wild-west town, with a bank, saloon, jail, wagon, etc. I think you would scroll left and right through the town, clicking on characters walking around to talk to them, or clicking on buildings to enter them. I believe the objective of the game was to find something like 6 stolen gold bars. If I remember correctly, the game characters had full voice-acting. When you found a gold bar, a jingle would play and a pop-up box would display telling you how many were left, or something like that. I also think the game was pretty short to complete, but the location of the gold bars was randomised each time. Besides the town area, you could also go to a 'wilderness' area, which was just out of town. I remember there being a gold mine here, and a boot you could search in, which I think would sometimes contain a golden bar. The game had a very similar feel to games like Spy Fox and Putt-Putt, and may have been packaged in with one of those games as a demo.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic