Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:46:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs(Demo) Celestial Tear: Demon's Revenge A familiar, yet unique JRPG with a comic
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: (Demo) Celestial Tear: Demon's Revenge A familiar, yet unique JRPG with a comic  (Read 11510 times)
trexrell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2013, 01:27:23 PM »

Hey Guys,

I have a topic in the feedback area but I took notice to the Dev Blogs and it looks like a much more efficient way to show the progress and scale of my game.

I'm still fairly new around here so I'd like to introduce myself again.. My name is Tyrell White I go by the name trexrell on the internet. And I like a bunch of you guys love to play and especially make games.  Beg I have been on the mugen(fighting game engine) scene for a little bit of time. But my passion has always been rpgs. That brings me to my game Demon's Revenge.

"Demon's revenge is set in a Sci Fi fantasy world. You begin your Journey on the planet Hasphal where prejudice has seem to tear the world apart since the beginning of time. Humans have proclaimed Jehts disfigured, dangerous and unworthy of living on the same planet. Believing them to be monstrous creatures from Remerin(Hell), they decreed them to be Demon's and hunt them down in honor of their Gods. Join Sen as she finds herself thrust into the middle of conflict, discovering the mysteries about herself and the true history of Hasphal and its inhabitants. Everything is not what it appears to be as religion and life itself unfolds in this exiting adventure."

I quoted this because its one my best description. Shocked

I want this to be successful so I am really trying hard to take in comments and critique as we go along in production. We loved the great rpg titles that were on Ps1 in the time where they were plentiful. But we are not trying to be any of those games. Being unique to me in this genre is taking risk and building upon what was already great and expanding it.

Battle System
From my experience in this genre battles could get quite annoying and repetitive especially if the difficulty is lacking. We also are implementing a system that will make the environment play a factor. Imagine knocking over a pillar or tree to increase your advantage in a battle. We also feature fully animated full size battlers to add that much more flare to the game.

Art Style
Since I was a kid I loved comics and their characters. I think Demon's Revenge takes a bit from that genre and and puts it in game form. The thick ink lines and exaggerated proportions give our game a unique feel from other similar rpgs. Especially considering most of them are anime styled. I think it makes us more unique.

The Gameplay
Platforming,puzzles,action commands and treasure hunting all are prevalent in Demons Revenge. We want to have really great rewards for exploration and achievements and we find these are our best options for it. It also adds variety to the gameplay and more than just walking from one battle to the next.  Tongue Or town for that matter.

We plan to do updates way more often than we have in the past to really let people know what we are all about and the polish and care that we are taking with our product. We would really love to hear some comments and critique as we go along in our progress. I want this to be a success and I don't think I could do it at a level that I want to without the contribution of the gaming community. So let me know what you think and thank you for taking a look.

And if you would like to check out the official website. http://demonsrevenge.com/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:07:25 PM by trexrell » Logged

Yinyamina
Level 0

cavernofcreativity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 02:03:22 PM »

We just finished a shaggy looking horse. I am now working on getting recent items, stuff that you JUST picked up, to show up in the menu.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:37:24 PM by Yinyamina » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 02:29:18 PM »

We just finished a shag horse
this is illegal in many countries, please be considerate of the multinational nature of tig source .co .m
Yinyamina
Level 0

cavernofcreativity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »

Not quite following the offense, it's just a shaggy horse. Care to explain? Maybe it's something I'm not getting or not familiar with.

edit:
Changed the wording after googling shag horse and seeing some pretty brutal images. Sorry about that, and that is definitely not what I meant.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:39:56 PM by Yinyamina » Logged

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 02:37:46 AM »

That horse isn't so shaggy
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 07:08:56 AM »

I'm curious on how many guy working on this game, because it's like almost impossible to be one man project.

for the fact you say "we".

And also curious about the battle system, since you didn't actually explain how it work. Turn based like FF? Action? Strategy like Fallout? Or somehow like FF12? Just curious.

Yinyamina
Level 0

cavernofcreativity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 09:16:04 AM »

That horse isn't so shaggy
Haha, we still wanted people to know it was a horse, so we didn't change it so much, just made some hair hang off of him.

I'm curious on how many guy working on this game, because it's like almost impossible to be one man project.

for the fact you say "we".

And also curious about the battle system, since you didn't actually explain how it work. Turn based like FF? Action? Strategy like Fallout? Or somehow like FF12? Just curious.

Me and my husband, trexrell, are the main developers, spriters. We have a 2D artist, Ricky, who does our art. My brother, Michael, who does some of the music, and we outsource some of our code and tiles.

Speaking of music, I just uploaded a new track from DR to soundcloud.
https://soundcloud.com/yinyamina/dr-panic

The battle system is being worked on as we speak. It will be a strategic turn based battle system... Closest I can think of as a comparable is Final Fantasy 10. You will be able to see who's turn is next and make your decisions based on that. There will be other quirks that make it it's own battle system. Here is an older prototype of what we were using.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:36:16 AM by Yinyamina » Logged

trexrell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »

We also outsource some tiles but the bulk of the sprite work comes from myself.

I also do the concepts.

I do the "actors" but I prefer to do the Battlers.

The main story is written from beginning to end. I do a bunch of Dialogue and lore. While Yin wrights the main plot. The story is structured a bit different than what we see in current similar titles and is kind of based around prejudice and lineage. I'm trying to make that relevant without stuffing it down the players throat and look for inspiration from the games that do it best. And taking my own experiences and knowledge into the issues in the game. Here goes an excerpt from one of the books you find at the beginning of the game to give you an idea of the writing and a bit of the religion in the game.

If you look up to the sky, you'll see
Our lords beyond the blue.
Stars illuminating in the black sea
Our lives and purpose bloom.
Demons and those without pure hearts
Will surely never enter.
How cannons of light shall pierce like darts
The vessels of their senders.
We praise Gaddok!

trexrell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 09:15:28 PM »

Hey guys here with another update. As we are working on most things we seem to always look back at similar titles that we loved back in the PS/PS2 days. And there are certain titles that we strive to get our game to be just as good as. Recently we went back to one of the greats just to see what really made that title stand out. Suikoden 2 kind of blew my mind. My wife Yin always talk about how great it is and only untill I saw it for myself that I really know what she meant. That is the type of game we are trying to create. We are determined to do that, so we hope and strive to get at that level of sprites and story that was achieved in that title. So our expectations are higher and there for our project could seem over whelming.

We don't want to make a parody of a genre or clone of something that existed a long time ago. We want to make something that stands on its on.

But.. enough of that. We have a very good artist working with us named Ricky Gunawan who does all the great character portraits and story boards for our motion comic and from time to time we will show pieces of it until we make our final draft of the whole thing. You could see a small merged piece of page one here in this quick music video showcasing our battle theme.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/demons-revenge/videos/battle-theme-1

Micheal has been working on numerous tracks for this game. All with a unique feel to them. In my opinion they give us a more diverse mood to our situations and events.

trexrell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 09:24:06 PM »

Quick update: Being Indie can be frustrating.

We have made small progress over the last couple of months due to a bunch of stuff but we still push forward, Having our battle system delayed is not something that really inspires us. So we have a minor set back for our Demo but Yin and I still work and here is an example of our recent battle sprites of early game enemies.

If you've been following us we have talked about the Ridders and their position in the world. These guys would be a frequent enemy. They hunt demons and anyone who chooses to protect them.

This would be the fighter class of the Ridders she is indeed a different class of Ridder. Rather than swords or magic she focuses on using melee abilities and is very agile.

And since the begging of the game takes place deep in a forest we have creatures like this worm to fight.

We have a bunch more we want to show but we would rather make sure its presentable. Let us know what you think we look forward to showing more.

trexrell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 04:54:36 PM »

I went back recently and upgraded a bunch of Battle sprites. I used some different colors and loved the outcome.

trexrell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 06:40:54 PM »

Here is a really quick preview of a particular part of the beginning of the game. We have learned much from our previous demo.We hope what we did with this particular part gives the mood that we were going for. Hopefully it has good enough production value in this short video. Our weather effect and shadows are missing. I turned them off because my recording program sucks. Also why the video is so short.

If you do not know who the Ridders are. They are a military force that hunts down Jehts(mostly refereed to as Demons). And this is the point where you get good incite in who Jagen is. I hope you enjoy this. Any and every bit of feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Yinyamina
Level 0

cavernofcreativity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 02:06:56 PM »

We have a pretty cool update for you guys today. We want to show you guys a very important city which is located in a sandy region of Hasphal called Annox.

We have varied types of sidequests in Demon's Revenge and one of the more complex ones is in Annox which is diplomacy. It's nothing too crazy but it will have minor effects on how the different towns operate. It could change prices of items or alter the way some people in the towns react to you. Since we have a more complex NPC system, that could effect some individuals more than others.

If you ever heard our theme song from the original demo you will notice our melody. Its something that we hold dear as its been around since the beginning and in a lot of ways inspires us. It has been upgraded significantly by Quigon. He did a fantastic job and we love it. I think it represents every bit of our game with mystery and suspense as well as adventure and discovery. This video not only showcases the song, but also everyone who is making Demon's Revenge come to life.

Another thing I wanted to talk about is archetypes and races in Demon's Revenge. This is something I touched on before but I want to elaborate on. As you play, you will notice that most characters have distinct stats based on both their skills and race. The one character who may seem to have varied abilities is Sen, but every one else falls into these categories:
Jehts:
Jehts are the most varied of all the races. They live off the land and being on Hasphal for so long they adapted to their individual environments. They are brash and rely on their high speed and frontal blitz strategies since the ridders have hunted them for years. They have been known to fight hard or die fast. So in essence jehts all have varied abilities and come in a variety of different sizes and shapes, depending on where they are from on Hasphal.

Humans:
Then we have the humans. They may be the more crafty and adaptable beings. Having to adapt to the varied harsh world of Hasphal. They are able to take any situation and use it to their advantage. Being the physically weakest of the races they have a high dexterity and are able to adapt to more classes.

There are more races in Demon's Revenge but the conflict between the humans and jehts is the most prevalent. As you probably could imagine, humans function as an industrial race but some cultures may be more advanced than others. Jehts on the other hand do not get such luxuries as humans have proclaimed them unfit for society, and in some rare cases, slaves. Most humans find jehts to be grotesque. They banish, hunt, and kill them. There are places where they try to live together but the prejudice and ignorance still lingers. It's only a matter of time before the jehts do something. Whether it will be diplomatic or aggressive, only time will tell. Jehts claim the world belongs to them and humans proclaim it thier birth right. Who will have the last word?

This chart shows (from left to right):
Humans, Jehts, Kelt, and Gaddok

The chart is missing:
Remergio, Druff, and Turrenz. Of course there will also be other little critters throughout the game.

We have a new concept based on doing the different areas and coming up with more complex and varied mission. There will be elemental creatures around Hasphal. These beings will look like the environment and element that they represent. Which makes these types of quests unique is that it will be somewhat of a mystery on how to get them to communicate. They will only speak to you if you can determine what the underlying task is. We feel it will increase the variety of quest types and also reward the player for exploration.

trexrell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 04:57:32 PM »

One thing that is missing here are the shadows again. I just want everyone to know that we are going for high production values and originality. We like what we have so far. But we do wonder what people think about it all.

trexrell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 09:00:13 PM »

I was experimenting with colors and upgrading Jagens Stance.

trexrell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 07:12:26 PM »

For those who played our previous demo you may had noticed that we had used sprited backgrounds. With the help of our artist Ricky we were able to upgrade them to a more painted look. It makes things more dynamic and the scale of it allows us to do different things with the battle system.

One of the more Dynamic things that we plan to do with the battle system is using it to zoom in and out and pan depending on what is happening in the fight. Our new battle backgrounds are layered and built for animation so that is exiting for us. This is a new but similar system to what we had used in our previous build on the older engine.  But it is a battle system that is being built from the ground up. Action is as big as a thing in and out of battle but I would love to show it before I say too much about it and let the system speak for itself as it is nearly complete.

With that there are some minor updates and pal changes to some of the battlers and animations. I have redone Jagens colors and sprites so that it would match with the backgrounds much better. The wolves from the demo has also received a much needed upgrade. We have also added some more monsters in the area to give it more diversity. Most of the enemies from Jagens intro would be more forest like creature. While the next part would be consisting of more humanoid ones.

We hope to show off some of these features soon. And let people know how hard we have been working on this. I say this a lot but we would love to do more updates and if time permits I will definitely try. For more info you can check us out at:

Demonsrevenge.com
facebook.com/DemonsRevenge
twitter.com/_DemonsRevenge_

Thanks for taking a look.

trexrell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 06:37:05 PM »

In this update we are going to focus on one of the main antagonist of Demon's Revenge Sinara.
Sinara's early life was full of pain and isolation. Sinara and her younger sister Miranda were orphans who grew up in a town (unnamed) overworked and under fed. They spent each day longing for a chance at a real life and a family. The days of work and hunger led Sinara to have deep disdain for society.  That day of having a real family never came and soon the town was ravaged by demons. Sinara and Miranda first encounter with demons wounded them that day for they had nearly lost the only thing they have ever truly posses their lives. They grew enraged by the mere mention of the word demon and vowed to find a way to rid the world of them. When they were of age they joined the ridders . Miranda took a more internal role, while Sinara worked more on the field of battle. Both were Max's best recruits, but Sinara was his prize possession once he saw the potential in her skill, he honed them to there full potential. Max gave Sinara a pet demon, Liz. Despite Sinara's hate for demons, Liz and Sinara manage to become partners in crime. Liz would sacrifice anything for Sinara and Sinara would let her.

Liz is Sinara's partner. As much as Sinara hates demons. She keeps one as her right hand. Liz was discovered by Maximillion and given to Sinara as a pet. She has grown to love Liz and Liz feels the same and has no remorse for the damage that she does to her fellow demons. Liz hate for her own kind could only be explained by the teachings that Sinara has embedded in her mind. Having been the only person she has truly gotten to know.

Sinara is known as being sadistic and evil. She kills without remorse and has a short temper. She seems to tolerate humans a bit more but their lives seem to mean as little to her as demons do. Sinara's fighting prowess has earned her a reputation of being both deadly and overly confident. As she wears little armor and bright colors. This makes her extremely intimidating because she is known more as a legend than of an actual person.

Skills and Abilities

Under Max tutelage Sinara has become one of the most feared warriors of the Demon Ridders. She has learned to use many weaponry and has learned to use and make poisons. Sinara is an excellent marksmen and her weapons of choice are two Chakram which she uses in both ranged and melee combat. Sinara has also been shown to use demon like attributes and abilities. Such as enhanced speed,strength and endurance. This is due to her voluntary experimental procedures that she undergoes which injects a chemical found in demons  that give them the ability to manipulate the atmosphere to produces their elemental abilities. It Something that they excrete out of their pores in times of stress or danger.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:27:17 PM by trexrell » Logged

trexrell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »

We decided to change the name of our game to something less generic. Since Demons Revenge is the name of a previously released flash game, we need to make something a bit more diverse. So we went with adding Celestial Tear to the title which is the name of the universe in which Demon's Revenge takes place. We love the idea for a shared universe with in our games, and we think having it in the title makes our project more diverse. We are between these three color schemes at the moment. I love how it came out.

trexrell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 10:10:55 PM »

Remember in one of our other updates we talked about changing the style of the battle backgrounds from sprited to painted? Well we got another one and it is beyond amazing.

Take a look!

We want to show an example of one of our sprited cutscenes.

As well as our motion comic intro.

trexrell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 07:05:46 PM »

This is the tech demo outlining some of the key features.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic