Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:39:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCRAWL: arcade dungeon crawler where your friends control the monsters
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: CRAWL: arcade dungeon crawler where your friends control the monsters  (Read 209979 times)
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: March 04, 2014, 12:06:27 AM »

I think I know what my only gripe with the pixels is - there is very little contrast in all the scenes, all the colours kinda brownish and it blends together which looks like a problem considering how fast and tightly-spaced the action is.

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: March 04, 2014, 12:27:56 AM »

yeah the contrast in the floor tiles isn't showing up too well in the video and is turning into a yellow blob Smiley looks a lot better if you set the vid to HD- gets back some of that definition that gets blurred over- definitely YouTube would be much better for pixel art videos it it had a "nearest neighbour scaling" option- file size could remain much smaller too

oh well, definitely learning for next time Smiley

Beaulamb1992
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: March 04, 2014, 01:17:56 AM »

Voted! good work on the trailer  My Word!

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: March 04, 2014, 01:40:42 AM »

I have watched this trailer at least 4 times today. Very well done! Keep up the good work guys!

matriax
« Reply #184 on: March 04, 2014, 02:23:36 AM »

Simply Awesome, the style, colors, annimations and the smooth gameplay works perfect for this type of game and the trailer get me hyped! congratulations guys!
Runefrog
Level 0

Hear me roar~

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 04, 2014, 02:36:08 AM »

If this doesn't become an indie success, then the world can collapse and explode like Krypton did in Man of Steel, because life won't be worth living.
jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: March 04, 2014, 03:50:04 AM »

Love that trailer! Voted for you on Greenlight. :D

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: March 04, 2014, 07:20:39 AM »

Talk about a superb trailer, well done! That should push you right through greenlight in record time, I predict.

How much work was involved specifically for you to make this trailer would you say? Where'd you find the (super) voice over person? Looking at making a teaser trailer soon..

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 04, 2014, 10:05:28 AM »

Be sure to notify us if you get any downvotes ... We'll clean that up for you Noir
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 04, 2014, 10:31:29 AM »

Dat trailer  Crazy

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 04, 2014, 10:52:25 AM »

Yeah, that's the best trailer I've seen in a while...

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: March 04, 2014, 01:09:02 PM »

Wow, Greenlit already! Congrats

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: March 04, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »

wow this is amazing, Greenlit in the first day!

Thanks so much guys, we're so happy the trailer went down so well!

It's funny now thinking how much we argued over all the little details- I wanted the text up for shorter so it didn't interrupt the flow/momentum, but dave wanted it up for longer so people had time to actually take it in, we were driving each other pretty crazy, so it's great to see people enjoying it!

Our friend who did the voice over is getting pretty smug about all the compliments he's getting- we may have to pay him next time!

Savick
« Reply #193 on: March 04, 2014, 01:16:52 PM »

I don't think "Crawl" accurately describes the main aspect of the game, which in this case, is possession. You're not really dungeon crawling as much as you're playing a constant battle for dominance of a hero's soul. I love the graphics and the trailer was rad, but the name's just gonna keep bugging me.
barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2014, 01:24:04 PM »

hey gambrinous- the trailer took me almost 4 weeks (i know because the trial version of premiere pro i was using was ticking down the days and i was thinking "oh shit i hope i get this finished before it expires!"

a lot of that was just annoying slowdown from dealing with very big uncompressed files and moving them from one computer to another with a very slow old external hard drive.

upscaling all the zoomed in shots became a big headache, because premiere pro doesn't support rendering with nearest neighbour scaling- which is damn crazy because it uses nearest neighbour for its viewport as its the quickest/least computer intensive form of upscaling, they just didn't think anyone would want to use it for real output, so i had to manually upscale all the relevant files in another program- think about zooming a 20gig file in to 200%- it takes ages and makes the premiere file super slow to work with because it's referencing such big video files!

so basically lots of silly workflow issues because i was trying to keep the raw footage pure and uncompressed for the whole process, then just compress it once for the final export

the voice over was done by a 3d artist friend of ours known mostly as "old shrimpeyes".  myself and dave and shrimpeyes used to work together at a games company, and i had always wanted to use his voiceover for something- he did some voices for an animatic of a cartoon i was working on, and he voiced a little adventure game dave made a few years ago

we were initially hoping to have him narrating in the gameplay- reading bits about the monsters and triggering situation sensitive barks- kind of like the announcers in nba jam or something but all lovecrafty... that ended up being completely wrong for a 4player party game (though i'd still love to do something like that for a slower single-player game) so when the trailer came up we decided we had to get him involved!

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2014, 01:30:39 PM »

wow this is amazing, Greenlit in the first day!

I can't comprehend this , mindblown , good job fella
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2014, 01:32:16 PM »

Such a great trailer guys, well done, and I look forward to it appearing on steam!

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2014, 01:34:15 PM »

hey Savick Smiley i guess everyone gets a bit of a different vibe form the game and the name, and we're not going to sit perfectly with everyone, but that's definitely the best argument against the name i've heard!

i guess for me the fighting monsters and searching for loot in the dungeon just cries out crawling!  but i can see how it doesn't really cover the unique mechanic of the possession...

it was initially going to be called "the crawling chaos" after a lovecraft short story, but then i had to imagine myself talking to someone and saying "the crawling chaos" multiple times in a sentence, and it seemed really klunky- we brainstormed a lot, but when the idea of cutting it to just crawl occurred it really seemed perfect!

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2014, 09:39:07 PM »

Wow, Greenlit in a day? And I just saw the [super-awesome-blow-your-mind-omg-I-need-one-like-that] trailer through Twitter like... yesterday My Word!

Great job!

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: March 05, 2014, 02:13:06 AM »

Probably you're already bored (or/and overwhelmed) with similar comments like this but anyway... Congratulations guys, I am watching this devlog since its beginning, and I say well deserved. I can't wait to play this game!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic