Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:47:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCRAWL: arcade dungeon crawler where your friends control the monsters
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
Print
Author Topic: CRAWL: arcade dungeon crawler where your friends control the monsters  (Read 210097 times)
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: April 13, 2015, 12:14:12 PM »

Pixel art is amazing. Seriously. I would play this for that alone!
I love the giant bosses too! Definitely something to buy in the future.  Hand Money Left Hand Money Right

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: April 14, 2015, 04:47:49 AM »

thanks so much for the kind words guys Smiley

@tortoiseandcrow yep i'm definitely aware of the issue you're talking about- basically we suffer because we are trying to serve 2 very different audiences. 

On the one hand we have people who want a classic party game- for them the matches should be quicker, and all the important unlocks should be available through a small number of games or even right from the start.  On the other hand we have people who want to play it as a hobby, like a roguelike or rpg- these players are always asking us to allow longer matches, to add more long term progression, and to have more and more unlocks to keep them coming back.

Noticing the player base has split like this, hopefully we can figure out a way to keep everyone happy.  I am heavily considering some form of "quick match" format where everything is tweaked to have much quicker games, and perhaps exclude the long-term unlocking system from the quick match...

Still needs a lot more consideration, but I have done a lot of preliminary design work for this, so rest assured we're working on it haha!

As for number of bosses I hear you! If I had it my way we'd be putting in at least 8 or so, but they can take a really long time to get working right, so I doubt I'll be allowed to spend that much time on them unfortunately!

@skaz stoked to hear that dude, really awesome Smiley if what you're working on is anything like that avatar of yours i'd love to see it- that style looks great!

tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 14, 2015, 12:44:42 PM »

Perfect! That's basically all I wanted to know. I think ideally the way I'd want to see it would be for the game to start off with enough items/creatures/monsters/level-types unlocked that I won't see all there is available over the course of three or four games, and each of those games will be noticeably different.

I think the important thing for me is that this would feel different than the unlocks. The way it stands now, I find myself thinking that if I want to play it with my friends and have enough fun things unlocked, I'll have to play a bunch of the game solo. Even though the game is fun, this feels like a chore. It's like the difference between doing a thing for pleasure and on your own terms, and doing the same thing because you are required to do so. I want to continue to play the game because there is more there, not have there be more there because I continue play the game.

I have a pretty negative reaction to the "quick match" idea, though. I can't help but think that there's a way of scaling progression, difficulty, and game length so that party gamers can get off the ride early while still having some replay value, and hobbyist gamers can continue on beyond that point to have have longer matches that test and develop their skill level. Rapid unlocks or a wide variety of already existing options followed by skill-based or progression-based unlocks, maybe?

Eight bosses sounds like it would be about perfect. I hope that you can wrangle the time! I think any less than five and you'll start to lose the party-game folks, where the setting the game gets played in demands novelty.
cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 15, 2015, 04:22:03 AM »

I don't have any friends to play this with (being a miserable misanthropic sort) but I purchased this game nevertheless Wink Top job!
andes-neumann
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: June 08, 2015, 07:39:21 PM »

Woa. Just discovered this devlog recently and I can only echo everyone's appreciation for the superb pixel animations. The shaman's teleport animation made my eyes explode. Huge thanks for all the process images and videos, really inspiring content you got here, now I must go play it!

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: June 09, 2015, 05:32:59 AM »

Killers animations. The hydra one...just out of this world! Congrats

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: June 09, 2015, 10:04:45 PM »

Thanks for the support Smiley  I haven't been finding the time to update the devlog much recently, so here's a little bit of WIP stuff:

There's more info on the blog here: http://www.powerhoof.com/menus-and-hud-stuff/

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: July 27, 2015, 03:59:35 PM »

Well, I finally got that menu done!

which means it's time to put out an update Smiley

This damn menu took sooooooo much longer than expected!  I naively thought it would take about a week, but it was well over a month on it in the end, and now I never want to see it again haha!

Actually I'm already scheming up some tweaks I want to make to it when we get around to doing another pass on it Smiley

wearepinata
Level 0

Piñata Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: July 27, 2015, 04:46:04 PM »

Best menu ever! That is so damn awesome Smiley 

Piñata Games
Facebook // Twitter

We made Tamak and Magnetix
siskavard
« Reply #429 on: July 27, 2015, 05:02:59 PM »

This game makes my animation insides all warm & fuzzy
barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: September 10, 2015, 08:16:49 PM »

another update, another gif- this time a pretty small one as we're busy working on prototyping new boss mechanics!

thanks for the support and encouragement as always guys!

JonathanDaar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: November 23, 2015, 06:08:04 PM »

ahhh this game looks amazing!
Playing a dungeon crawler where the monsters are controled by other players has been a dream game of mine for a while and you guys are pulling it off fantastically!
Josich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: January 02, 2016, 07:00:55 AM »

I love the amazing animations.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic