Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:18:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCRAWL: arcade dungeon crawler where your friends control the monsters
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: CRAWL: arcade dungeon crawler where your friends control the monsters  (Read 210151 times)
barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2013, 07:21:59 PM »

Cheers guys!  It's great to get such positive feedback for the animation- it does make me feel like I really have to lift my game with the overall art direction for color composition and environment stuff tho- the individual pixel anims up close feel like they're more exciting than full screenshots or gameplay footage at the moment

I'm definitely much more confident animating characters than thinking about composition... I'll post some full screenshots some time soon to see if anyone has some good advice

I've been designing the upgrade system to allow unlocking new armies and monsters and upgraded versions of monsters after each game... I like to doodle the GUI elements to help me think out the ramifications of different designs and not miss all the edge cases, so here are my latest working doodles for the system

I'm realizing this is a potentially useful system for difficulty balancing.  I want to give more skilled/experienced players the ability to "handicap themselves" in-game, in exchange for bigger upgrade rewards at the end if they win, and possibly offering some form of the reverse...

seems like a good way to keep it accessible and "arcadey" while catering to a variety of skill levels, and it's something you can do dynamically and organically, so you can just keep sacraficing a little bit more here and there if you're still way ahead of the other players, to even the playing field and increase your reward

Purcy Smiley yeah it would be fun to do that some time

JasonPickering thanks, your relic rush looks awesome!  I love seeing stuff so low res- so crisp and clean and the colors are great

Dayvi thanks, glad its useful!

InvisibleMan hmm yeah the arcade cabinet look is something which I think we haven't actually nailed... YET... because it's mostly in the GUI and onscreen indicators and stuff... things we haven't really put much time into so far...  Things like that classic "GO" arrow with the hand pointing to continue to the next screen and the way you handle GUI text (so much flashing!) and power bars and stuff... that seems to be where all the arcade feeling comes in.

here is a fairly low fps capture of our old title screen where we had a handful of arcadey GUI details:

this was before we shortened the name obiously Smiley

all of this stuff is getting redone for a graphical overhaul since we changed the name and developed the style quite a bit, but there are lots of arcadey elements, with the screen being divided for 4 players and the 3 letter names and stuff...

I'd really like to do a super-arcadey "attract mode" semi-animated cut scene thingy that loops if you leave it on the menu like an arcade cabinet

DanielSnd pwei Aquanoctis happymonster hube Seiseki Sc00bz thanks heaps guys :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 07:29:38 PM by barneycumming » Logged

Purcy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »

That title screen gif reminds me of glitch art and I love glitch art :D
But yeah forsure make a video pleeeeeeeeaaaase
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2013, 11:28:51 AM »

Yep, the glitch art is awesome!

zeh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2013, 02:40:41 PM »

The art and animation look so amazing. Jaw dropping gorgeous.
Z_guy
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2013, 03:05:09 PM »

I'm so tired of pixel art! Yet, you manage to pull it off, especially with those amazing animations.

dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2013, 01:43:51 AM »

Well, I actually love well done pixel art. And in this case, I must say that you are doing an excellent job in both the art and the animations. And it seems you do it easily. You have lots of different characters. I expect to play the game as soon as you release some demo.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:49:11 AM by dhontecillas » Logged
psheff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2013, 03:09:58 PM »

This might be the greatest thing I have ever seen, ever.
The pixel animation is sooooooo juicy. Crazy talented!

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2013, 04:17:35 PM »

not sure exactly which of these run anims i already posted, so here is a big monster run anim dump of the guys i've done so far Smiley

thanks for the support guys!  not much new to report- mostly working on really boring business stuff to try and get some funding so we don't burn through all of our savings too fast!  working out a budget to show these people is making me feel nauseous!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:23:57 PM by barneycumming » Logged

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2013, 11:22:36 PM »

Shocked

I love your pixelwork.

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2013, 04:05:56 AM »

SO GOOD  Mock Anger

I'm really looking forward to this. So smooth.

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2013, 08:16:19 PM »

thanks so much for the compliments for the pixel art! definitely helps to have so much positive feedback when I've got to wade through all this boring business stuff

as for the glitchy stuff- my plan is to build everything as if the game is being played on an old arcade cabinet, but the cabinet itself is some arcane artifact...

so along with all the wiring and circuit boards inside the cabinet, there are like wormholes and throbbing crystals and dark energy beams kind of allowing the cabinet to control these messed up creatures in the alternate plane of the game... but all this magic stuff is really unreliable and is kind of frying all the circuits, so the whole thing is kind of stuttering and glitching out when big things are happening onscreen...

so its going to be kind of: gothic/lovecraftian fantasy, as realised through a stuttering malfunctioning demonic arcade machine Smiley

Purcy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2013, 08:22:11 AM »

Stutering demon arcade machine? Awesome
JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2013, 10:14:26 AM »

Really good sound design in the trailer.   Beer! to whomever is doing that

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
dancinLion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2013, 04:40:51 AM »

Just wanted to say that this project looks really awesome. Keeping an Blink on it Smiley.

Developing a turn based strategy & tactics game in a daft fantasy setting!
Twitter
Discord
Web
aftslash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2013, 05:43:18 AM »

Oh my lord those animations are beautiful.
barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2013, 03:57:15 PM »

I haven't had any new art to post for a while, but last week i finally got to make a whole load of new monster animations

here's a few run anims:

I've got 50 monsters running around in-game now, though only 15 or so have their attack anims and special moves hooked up

Thanks for the encouragement guys and KomradeJack- the music in the trailer is by a guy called Zen Albatross.  His music is great, and he was completely cool to deal with when I asked if I could use it in the trailer.  The sound is chopped up bits and pieces taken from a live set of his at Blip Festival

premonster
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2013, 08:22:15 PM »

I'm so tired of pixel art!
Purcy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2013, 01:13:14 PM »

Still following. Those animations look soooooo smooth I love it.
Remember to teach me how to do pixel art like this at some point Wink
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2013, 07:27:16 AM »

animations. beautiful.

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2013, 06:29:31 PM »

Smiley thanks guys!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22