Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 12:45:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingWriting Conventions featuring Charlie Kaufman
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Writing Conventions featuring Charlie Kaufman  (Read 1942 times)
sebaslive
Level 0

One of the Four

View Profile WWW
« on: August 07, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »

Anyone hear his bafta speech? https://soundcloud.com/bafta/charlie-kaufman-screenwriting-lecture

One part I found interesting is when he discusses how we don't know we are being fed garbage by writers using a formulaic process to writing the same thing over.

I assume he means the hero's journey which is known as the guide to writing just about anything. There is also the expression "fake it till you make it" which basically justifies the process of copying anything popular until you have a name for yourself. What to do in this world where everyone is contradicting the other when it comes to everything?

Anyways its a great podcast!

Indie all around when it comes to games, films, stories, and art.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:53:39 AM »

I doubt he means the hero's journey. That's just one "trope." There are lots of little details that get coughed up over and over because of complacency, laziness etc. - you know all the things we are/have.
sebaslive
Level 0

One of the Four

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:03:31 AM »

sigh* but being original is too much work. It's a good thing people like sequels more than original IP's right?  Hand Money Left Cheesy Hand Money Right

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »

that's because original ips don't respect the roots of good creation. some asshole understands 20% of what makes some thing good, abandons the formula and falls all over himself. tropes exist b/c being original is hard. then you have to understand _everything_.
sebaslive
Level 0

One of the Four

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »

Or does that very same asshole have the 100 percent but could only manage to explain 20% of it to his team/producers/etc and must succumb to tropes since it makes it more possible to explain based on a reference point everyone can understand?

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 10:39:30 AM »

bullshit. if you really understand you won't be a pushover about it. producers bring value. you want their money you have to satisfy their demands.

that's what sales is. you get an idea, but then you blow it open because you _really_ get it.
sebaslive
Level 0

One of the Four

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:44:39 AM »

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”
Albert Einstein

and that dude was pretty smart.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 10:57:59 AM »

Wink  I thought the same quote.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 11:24:19 AM »

it's not always true

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »

by "enough" the speaker means to complain about it not doing what you want. he is speaking about a very advanced understanding.
Runefrog
Level 0

Hear me roar~

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 01:34:37 AM »

Charlie Kaufman is a very untraditional film maker and, in my opinion, an amazing scriptwriter. His ideas are baffling but are somehow mesmerising and fun.

Writing formulas shouldn't be ignored because they're the skeleton to your plot and they have a proven track-record of working.
Take the 3-Act Structure that most movies use: Every 30 minutes something 'major' happens that raises the stakes and pushes the protagonist towards his goal. The hero eventually hits rock bottom, has a revelation to change, and this change indirectly (or literally) causes him to overcome all odds and eventually 'wins'.
Films from the 30's - 50's were based on the 8 Sequence Approach: Films were basically eight 10-15 minute scenes stitched together to form a story.
TV shows have a 5-Act Structure that conveniently splits each episode into easily-digestible pieces, but I've never quite understood the 5-Act Structure because TV shows have limited time to set things up and have to quickly build tension and then quickly resolve it.

Games, on the other hand, are so different because every genre has to take on a different formula. You can't write a puzzle game in the same way you'd write the script for The Last of Us.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic