Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:22:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMicrogue - out now on iOS
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Microgue - out now on iOS  (Read 27904 times)
Uykered
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2014, 09:35:54 PM »

Here is some footage of me playing the game.

Looking very cool! I like the way your showing some of the data through graphics, like the slime reducing your movespeed. The shield was awesome too. There is still a lot you had to explain through words that wasn't easy to interpret from the graphics/animations alone though. Also one thing that might help is an effect for the swapping of the player and eye monster that perhaps forms a link between them briefly across the tiles? The sudden swap things can make you wonder what happened.

I just realized near the end of the video that those things on the ground were skulls! I thought they might be baby chickens  Kiss

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2014, 06:42:08 AM »

Very nice. This shaped up rather well, especially with the traps.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2014, 03:49:26 PM »

Alastair: yeah I love showing as much stuff graphically as possible. I always try to use bars and stuff instead of boring numbers. Also I had an epiphany this morning after your comment. I originally wanted a beam to blast between the hero and the eye, but could not think of a good way to do it, I figured out a super simple trick. So now it will be in. I will have to make a new video.

Baconman: thanks. I really wanted the traps to be interesting. I haven't been able to get to the later levels that have Fireblast traps. They cause problems with some enemies being immune to them.

Also you can look MicRogue up on indieDB I added a second play through on there. I make it to the dragon thus time, but it was still a stupid death.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2014, 05:28:36 PM »

Gif of the eye Beam.

Password
Level 0

Troy and Abed in the Morning~

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2014, 06:15:05 PM »

Wow, this game is turning out great! It seems to be a lot like one-player Chess. Looking forward to it's release!  Smiley

Also the eye beam is pretty cool.  Blink

BTW, I'm not sure if you mentioned this before but, I've seen many characters in your gifs/screenshots. I specifically remember a wizard, a pope, and the shield wielding guy. Are there going to be multiple characters, or did you just change the player sprite a bunch of times?

Uykered
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »

Great, looking cool! I always imagine red colors as damage or blood though.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2014, 03:52:07 AM »

Password. Yes chess was a huge inspiration. Also shogi and all the pages of chess variants on the web. It's a bit harder with all the pieces getting a turn though. The main character went through a lot of design, plus originally I was going to have a bunch of characters each with a special power, but it really over complicated the design.

The one thing I am thinking of as a post release are "variants". After researching chess variants it has really got me thinking. So I have some ideas for stuff that would not work in game, but would work for fun. Some examples are

- no shield
- harder enemies
- more enemies

But one of those ideas is a different character. This character would move one space in all 8 directions. Instead of the two in cardinal I currently have.

Alastair: I went with a pinker color for the magic. I tried to color code all magic to be the same color and I went with this bright pink, but maybe I could make it brighter.

Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2014, 08:24:58 AM »

Exactly the type of game I'd enjoy playing on my phone!
Loving the graphics, really inspiring

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2014, 11:25:19 AM »

Derqs: I have been doing a lot of testing on the phone. Making sure it's still really playable on smaller screens.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2014, 05:10:42 PM »

More updates!!! Game is coming along. Currently adding all the code for Gamecenter.

I am struggling a bit with the Win Screen. I like the animation for the chest opening, but I need to add some more stuff to the screen. I am thinking like "Quest Completed" or something

poe
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2014, 05:12:10 PM »

Having Quest Complete scroll out of the chest after it opens would be pretty solid.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2014, 04:32:42 PM »

Still working on this. I also redid the screen for quest complete

Vine Video

jeffgmelton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2014, 06:37:12 PM »

This looks great!  I love the condensed roguelike experience.

Dazm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2014, 02:41:00 AM »

Lovely pixel game. Nice work.

Hey, my name is David. I make some games. <br />Check my first game : STOORM<br />
y_nnis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2014, 06:02:38 AM »

That's one huge a*s Quest Completed sign... I like the shake a lot, but that sign is waaaay too big  Shocked
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2014, 05:05:45 AM »

alright adding more and more content!!

after the initial game is completed, the magic rat is added to the game. The magic rat when killed adds a new variant to the game, the player can activate from the main menu. So far the game currently has three.

- More Enemies
- Adds the new Witch Enemy
- No Shield run

these can be activated and deactivated before each run, and also the player can decided exactly which ones they want to take. I would suggest not doing a more enemies/no shield run, but crazy people will try. these will be the future of the game. all updates will be focusing on adding new ways for the player to play.

travisofarabia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »

Vine Video

Looks really great!
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2014, 01:55:24 PM »

Is this going to work for Android as well as iOS?

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2014, 11:28:47 PM »

It looks fun. Definitively the kind of game I like.
It would be great to be able to play it on Android.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2014, 12:42:25 PM »

Is MicRogue dead? Will it be reborn again?

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic