Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:23:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookUneksians [FINISHED+Update]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Uneksians [FINISHED+Update]  (Read 18273 times)
mirosurabu
« on: November 02, 2008, 03:42:31 PM »

177 The dreams of one man actually create a strange half-mad world of quasi-material substance in another dimension. Another man, also a dreamer, blunders into this world in a dream. What he finds. Intelligence of denizens. Their dependence on the first dreamer. What happens at his death.

Download updated compo edition (v0.7.Cool:
http://users4.nofeehost.com/pqgames/adrian/uneksians_0.7.8.zip

Download source (compo edition):
http://users4.nofeehost.com/pqgames/adrian/uneksians_0.1.4_src.zip

Source is cross-platform, which means you should be able to build it on different platforms (DOS, Linux, Mac, etc). However, you will need allegro (http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/) and tegel (http://sourceforge.net/projects/tegel/) libraries in order to build it successfully.

Code by: Miroslav Malesevic
Graphics by: Guillerme Tows (Zaratustra on TIGSource forums) and Miroslav Malesevic
Sound/music: freesound.org

Controls: Arrow keys to move, left shift to run, left CTRL for possession and left ALT to move the cursor. Spacebar to view the healthbar.

Note:
Since game is very short, save/game functionality has not been was disabled in compo version of the game. Not sure if this was good idea.

Dreamworld. Posession. Gamespeak.

This is basically Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee rip-off. But with a light twist. One night you go to sleep and never wake up. What you find is a dreamworld known as Uneksia to your imagination. In this dreamworld you are controlling creature known as White Beli and trying to escape from the dream (i.e. wake up). You'll soon realize that you are not alone in this dream and that there are others lost in it as well. Using your ability to possess enemies and to speak to characters, try to escape from the dreamworld with your fellow dreamers (known as Green Belis).

It is being developed in C++ using Allegro. I'm working on code and music and Zaratustra (fellow TIGS member) has done some pixel art for me (tilesets, concretely).

Stay tuned for the creepiest retro-platformer ever! Wink

Latest images:

Nov 21

Some screens have missing tiles. But this is to showcase the idea I got while debugging. Using your own blood you're discovering the path. I'll see if I can implement this idea somehow in the last chapter of this game.

Also, there are too many green belies on these shots, but this was part of a performance test.

Nov 03:

The tileset is from Xelda game and it's subject to change. The background is also subject to change.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 04:36:29 PM by mirosurabu » Logged
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 05:51:04 PM »

Dreamworld. Possession. Game Speak. This, we shall eagerly follow.

(And is that a very broad shouldered Glukon I see?)

mirosurabu
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 05:03:24 AM »

Thanks. Smiley

Hehe, yes that's broad-shouldered Glukkon-like character. Recently, I've tried to mix it with cthulhu and the result was:

And you can see that I have no experience in pixel art. I'm not satisfied with feet and wings and I think I need some shadows on wings, but not sure how I should do this. And best thing so far is that it's large and does not fit well in the game. So I guess I'll have to redraw complete character.

Original size:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 05:07:54 AM by mirosurabu » Logged
mirosurabu
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 05:03:34 PM »

Time for a little update. Smiley

New screenshots are added to original post. The core engine is completed and successfully tested. I am doing some sprite art and level design at the moment. Hope I'll finish this one before deadline. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 05:06:40 PM by mirosurabu » Logged
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 07:26:55 AM »

Shouldn't have said that you were using Allegro - Now I'm gonna have to come to you when I'm in troubles, as well :D

(not to go off topic:) The game looks pretty darn sweet though. Loved Abe's, so this should be mighty intersting.

mirosurabu
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM »

Finished. It's v0.1, though, kinda rushed, but I'm planning to update it to v1.0 along the way.

Stay tuned.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 04:15:56 AM »

404'd. Fix it, p'raps? I'd like to give this one a shot.
mirosurabu
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 05:19:25 PM »

Damn. That nofeehost acc.

Anyways here's little update (very little, the game is still not deluxe-finished, though finished for competition, there are some small details to be added to be made somewhat complete). Little update is that there is no Squish-like glitch anymore (I say Squish, because Squish has that collision bug) and some gunner bug is fixed (though gunners do not appear in v0.1).

Here is new link (hopefully working):
http://users4.nofeehost.com/pqgames/adrian/uneksians_0.1.4.zip
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 02:32:01 AM by mirosurabu » Logged
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 12:45:27 PM »

* Having to restart from the first room every time you die is annoying.
* You can get stuck in the pit with the first heart.

mirosurabu
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 01:15:40 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.

* Having to restart from the first room every time you die is annoying.

Yes, I know. The save/load functionality has been disabled in compo version simply because I thought that game was too short and that being able to save it where you want will make it even more easier. But turns out it's actually quite annoying. I'll enable it and if it's allowed post the updated version of the game here.

* You can get stuck in the pit with the first heart.

In theory yes, in practice no. Since the 'heart-space' is only one tile high and since the game does not see intersection in idle state as collision, it will allow player to get out of that state.

Just noticed that there is one way to get stuck - that is if you go to the right after you move beli from the switch while standing in heart-place.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:19:00 PM by mirosurabu » Logged
increpare
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 01:30:10 PM »

oh gosh, how did I not see this until now?

it's good...I got stuck at some point...I think the bit that others are talking about.  Will give it another try tomorrow.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »

I think the concept is great, but then again it's based off of Oddworld so of course it is Tongue

I really think you should have kept the save feature in the contest build though, or at least have the player respawn in the same room as you die in.  Or something.  Restarting from the beginning is really unforgiving.  I keep dying in the room where the three little creatures have to make a bridge for you.  I've gotten past it once, and was able to interact with one of my fellow dudes, but died shortly after that only to bite the dust in the damned bridge room five more times.  At that point I pretty much gave up.

Also, the switch-blocks (the ones that turn on and off) are really hard to see against the background.  They should probably be done in the same colors as the platforms, rather than the background colors.  The resolution is so small and the blocks are so hard to see I couldn't even tell there was a block in my way the first time I ran into one.

I think the sound is excellent.  The chanting is great.  Did you do the sound design yourself?

I'd really like to see this developed further.  With some more work this could be a really awesome game.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 03:03:26 PM »

Seems pretty good. Just one comment:

CAN'T SEE SHIT CAP'N!
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 09:03:03 PM »

Just noticed that there is one way to get stuck - that is if you go to the right after you move beli from the switch while standing in heart-place.

You can also get stuck if you didn't bring the beli down in the first place. The blocks aren't aligned in such a way that you can jump back out of the pit.

mirosurabu
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 01:48:18 AM »

@Zaratustra

Works fine for me. I guess you have problems escaping the pit because you don't use left shift for leap/walk boost.

Originally the controls were told in marquee of the first screen, but since I didn't have time to make main menu and proper credits screen I replaced it with credits. Sad

@deadeye

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I didn't make sounds by myself (didn't have time). All sounds are edited versions of sounds I found on freesound.org.

Regarding save/load functionality and switch-blocks I'm currently working on updated version so these issues will be fixed.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 03:54:35 AM »

Yeah, that bridge room is devistating. If you put some save points here and there people would propably play through it without giving up. The platform engine works great with the collision and everything, and the controls feel really responsive. I like this talking feature, but I never got past the bridge room so I haven't tried it Sad If you work a little on the game design issues(saving) and enable full screen I'm sure this will be great Smiley
mirosurabu
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 05:03:49 AM »

Actually, this version is programmed to run in fullscreen, but some graphics cards are not able to run 320x240 resolution in fullscreen. Sad Current version (not uploaded yet) starts with 640x480 resolution in windowed mode and allows you to switch to fullscreen using ALT+ENTER.

Save-points functionality is being recoded to work with new way tile-switching is handled. Should be finished soon.

As soon as I finish the design of new levels and that way complete v1.0, I will upload new version.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 05:29:10 AM »

Ah, so that's why my monitor flicker like crazy for five soconds every time I start it up...

So, are you actually enlarging the grafics to 640*480 or are you simply scaling things up? Maybe you could make an option that set the monitor to 640*480, and place the playing field in the middle of the screen, making the rest black? Would be almost as good as a fullscreen Smiley
AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 12:22:51 PM »

Looking good, interesting, atmospheric and deep.

But so hard, and quite awkward. You need a better way of establishing what the controls are. I'd like to be able to unpossess a creature without dying. A forgiving  saving system, as everyone else says, would be lovely.

This is probably great stuff though- I think you're just a victim of your own ambition and a close deadline.

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 12:15:15 PM »

This game is really good, but way too much unforgiving
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic