Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:14:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingShambled - An action puzzle game, with hooks and skeletons
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shambled - An action puzzle game, with hooks and skeletons  (Read 1287 times)
pixhead
« on: August 09, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »

Play Here

Here's the beta version of my first game "Shambled". You play as an unexplained figure, exploring an unexplained cave, for an unexplained reason. I still have a lot of polish and debugging to do, but most of the core game is there.

I'd really like to know what you guys think of it in it's current state. I'm trying to keep this short and sweet, so I'll stop before I ramble.

'M' stops the horrendous sounds

I hope you like it!
Dexiro
Level 0

Rawr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 03:43:50 PM »

Eh maybe I'm just feeling particularly cynical today but I thought the controls felt kind of frustrating, particularly the way you can't turn around on the spot. I know you've used that as an element in some of your puzzles but it might be a reasonable sacrifice to make controlling the character feel a lot better, can't say for sure though.

Another issue, but probably something you already knew about, it feels a bit jarring having things teleport as your grapple pulls them in Tongue

Playtest my game Platform.TV! A cute precision platformer I'm experimenting with ~

TheRaccoon
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »

Even without bells and whistles, this is fun. The mechanics give it a very hand-crafted feel, which is a good thing. Can do a lot of interesting puzzles with this. The Jawa/Loom character is likeable.

It's not clear which walls you can exit through.
Also, the darkness you fall into begs for some visual flair, like twinkling stars or some graphics to indicate it as a pit.
In some of the rooms I couldn't go to the next/previous room (protagonist just exited the screen and nothing happened).
The backpack on the protagonist screams "inventory", or at least "collect stuff". I don't know if you intended to add something to collect (coins or somesuch), but it could benefit from a goal other than "exit to next room".

I would definitely change Z to SPACE, too.

Good game and good luck :D
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »

So, you can pull crates over gaps without them falling in, but at the same time, you pull skeletons over gaps to kill them. This is one of those gameplay abnormalities that ought to be addressed.
pixhead
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 12:08:33 AM »

Eh maybe I'm just feeling particularly cynical today but I thought the controls felt kind of frustrating, particularly the way you can't turn around on the spot. I know you've used that as an element in some of your puzzles but it might be a reasonable sacrifice to make controlling the character feel a lot better, can't say for sure though.

Another issue, but probably something you already knew about, it feels a bit jarring having things teleport as your grapple pulls them in Tongue

Yeah, the ropes return still needs to be coded in. As for the movement, I won't be able to change that without changing the design of the game. Personally I do enjoy it, so I'm gonna stick with that.

Even without bells and whistles, this is fun. The mechanics give it a very hand-crafted feel, which is a good thing. Can do a lot of interesting puzzles with this. The Jawa/Loom character is likeable.

It's not clear which walls you can exit through.
Also, the darkness you fall into begs for some visual flair, like twinkling stars or some graphics to indicate it as a pit.
In some of the rooms I couldn't go to the next/previous room (protagonist just exited the screen and nothing happened).
The backpack on the protagonist screams "inventory", or at least "collect stuff". I don't know if you intended to add something to collect (coins or somesuch), but it could benefit from a goal other than "exit to next room".

I would definitely change Z to SPACE, too.

Good game and good luck :D

Thanks man! I'm glad you had fun. That problem with the walls is on me just being plain old lazy, I forgot to fix that before release Embarrassed. I do want to add to the darkness, but I have no idea what yet. Collecting is a possibility, but that adds a level of depth that I don't want to worry about for my first project. Also that backpack is a hook, I just don't have a shoot hook animation so it stays on your back.

So, you can pull crates over gaps without them falling in, but at the same time, you pull skeletons over gaps to kill them. This is one of those gameplay abnormalities that ought to be addressed.

I could add some form of explanation in game, but I don't plan on altering the mechanic
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic