Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:32:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIRKALLA
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: IRKALLA  (Read 452765 times)
Skydsgaard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 10:53:02 PM »

Sorry for the next wall of text but I want to respond to all Smiley

First, I want to say thanks again for the nice comments and the feedback

The logo isn't really readable at all if you don't already know the name of the game, though

well, you already know it....and knowledge is power >D

The art reminds me of sword and sorcery, but with the sexiest twist ever.

You are totally right, my principal inpspiration for stylized pixel art came from s&s.
When I played it, I totally fell in love with it and said to my self that for my first game, I would try to capture some of the essence of this amazing title.

About  the twist, we want to make a mix of all the things we like, and put them into this ancient strange old world with fantasy medieval elements, magic and high futuristic tecnology stuff.
Probably, you are asking right now why do you need high-tech weapons when you have magic? Well that is because you dont always have mana Smiley

Running looks like the guy is a ballerina. The rest looks great though.

Thanks to your comment, I realised that in this state/motion, I forgot to draw the crotch Smiley

But  it will be great if you could be a little more specific. This is because of the weigth ?  is the movement in general?

There is no way for you to know it yet, but there is not a "guy" inside the armor suit, there is a nice good-looking redhaired woman.

Edit: Oh!  That's the logo!  I actually just thought that was an example of the side of a building with long claw marks in it.  I would definitely make the font a little easier to read; even knowing the name of the game, I still can't really make it out  Undecided

We were afraid of this, I mean, we want to have something really unic in the logo, and we also enjoy the encrypting feeling of it ( like ancient/futuristic symbols that you have to spend a few seconds to figure out..)

But if there are people who cant see the difference between these symbols/letters and random scratches on a wall...maybe we need to change it. And maybe you can help us with this Smiley
Can you tell us which letters were more difficult to read?

What tools/techniques are you using for the artwork?  Do you guys have any previous projects I could check out?

This is our very first game. I am not a professional animator, so, I use the basic trial and error system, until I get something that feels ok to me.

Right now, I am working on all the basic demon/enemy animations and I hope to post them soon Smiley

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 11:26:52 PM »

Woooooooow!  WTF Great animation, great design of robots, awesome backgrounds!!!  Addicted Keep up the good work, man!  Beer!

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 11:28:10 PM »

And i love that logo. Awesome project!

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 12:15:42 AM »

When I said the person looked like a ballerina before, it's because (s)he has a feeling of weightlessness. It feels too much like the person is running on their tippy toes, which is accentuated by the fact that his/her legs are very pointy. Maybe add more weight each cycle, or give him proper feet. A person running in full metal shouldn't look so light.

(also, it's annoying to say he/she. Choose one to refer to please.)

EDIT: Woops, totally misread that. I read it as "what if there was not a "guy" inside the armor suit, there was a nice good-looking redhaired woman."

My bad. However, I still believe in what I said about the walk, although it's only an opinion.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:30:05 AM by Impmaster » Logged

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 12:20:11 AM »

When I said the person looked like a ballerina before, it's because (s)he has a feeling of weightlessness. It feels too much like the person is running on their tippy toes, which is accentuated by the fact that his/her legs are very pointy. Maybe add more weight each cycle, or give him proper feet. A person running in full metal shouldn't look so light.

(also, it's annoying to say he/she. Choose one to refer to please.)
It was already said a woman is in the suit. You can always use "it" as it's not a real person, only a sprite.

I like how it looks myself, like each step is an effortless leap despite the weight thanks to high tech akin to (an unrealistic version of) professional amputee athlete prosthetic limbs. Plus, it's different and adds character.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:26:40 AM by Games Inquirer » Logged

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 03:10:28 AM »

This is looking nice, will definitely be following and interested to see where you go with this.

thekill473
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 04:32:49 AM »

Posting to follow. Looks amazing!
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 08:39:20 AM »

If I had to pick the letter that is the most problematic in the logo, it would probably be the "I".  The "L"s are the easiest, and the rest are somewhere in between.  Making them taller and/or making their bottoms line up with the bottom of the "L"s might help  Coffee

I like your motivation for the logo's style; my brother and I have talked at length about doing something like this for one of our projects.  It just needs to be a tad easier to read Smiley Quake 4 did something like this for the in-game control panels, so it is indeed possible to make it work.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:48:23 AM by InvisibleMan » Logged

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 09:08:15 AM »

The art is very very good! I'm interested.

DantronLesotho
Level 2

Video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 05:37:44 PM »

That looks awesome; keep it up!
ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 07:35:18 AM »

This looks absolutely fantastic! Dark, bleak robotic pixel sci-fi, hot damn!

Anyhow, the run cycle suits the legs of your character, but it does look more like a prancing action instead of a menacing charge. I think it's mostly due to the lack of time the foot is in contact with the ground, in relation to the amount of time it's in the air. A heavily armoured mech would have feet that spend most of their time on the ground to support all the weight, and the body would dip down more to absorb the impact.

Making changes to things like this drastically alters the personality of the character though, so it's a tough call on how much you're willing to change what your original idea was.

One option (that might work for everyone), is to extend the length of the stride. It would force the feet to be in contact with the ground, while keeping everything looking agile rather than plodding. His feet do sort of move more vertically right now, like the ballerina's tippy-toes action, and this little tweak might help  Smiley

That's my two cents. Everything else is friggin' awesome.

Skydsgaard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 10:31:30 AM »

Hi everyone!

Wall of text is coming  Wink

Getting all this feedback is really great. Thanks a lot! It is very important for us.

This gets a bit tricky when some say that they like it and others perhaps not so much...because changing it can displease the ones that already liked it to begin with.

But personally, I think everything can be improved, and the nice comments are very rewarding and motivating, but the real thing that pushes you to do your best is constructive criticism. We are going to try to make something that pleases the mayority of you While being true to our idea.

About this:

If I had to pick the letter that is the most problematic in the logo, it would probably be the "I".

Yep, we have received similar feedback from another person, he thought that the "I" was a "T". We are going to work on this a little more. Probably, separating the dot from the "I" two pixels will not hurt anyone. To start with.

About this:

I like how it looks myself, like each step is an effortless leap despite the weight thanks to high tech akin to (an unrealistic version of) professional amputee athlete prosthetic limbs. Plus, it's different and adds character.

and...

Anyhow, the run cycle suits the legs of your character, but it does look more like a prancing action instead of a menacing charge. I think it's mostly due to the lack of time the foot is in contact with the ground, in relation to the amount of time it's in the air. A heavily armoured mech would have feet that spend most of their time on the ground to support all the weight, and the body would dip down more to absorb the impact.

Making changes to things like this drastically alters the personality of the character though, so it's a tough call on how much you're willing to change what your original idea was.

One option (that might work for everyone), is to extend the length of the stride. It would force the feet to be in contact with the ground, while keeping everything looking agile rather than plodding. His feet do sort of move more vertically right now, like the ballerina's tippy-toes action, and this little tweak might help  Smiley

Yes, the idea is that this is some kind of armor suit, with assisted movement, so she is not carrying the weight of the armor. I think this is called servo-armor. (The heavy and poddling mechs will come later)

So, for this running state, we want something really fast and agil (in the game you can not shoot while you are using this move, you will use it to position yourself in the right places, or for evasion times).

I am afraid that adding more weight, will slow down the movement and it could be a bit frustrating when you cannot reach your destination fast enough.

But I think we can try to give it a little more time on the ground, in the recovery of the steps... or maybe, at the begining of this state, make the frames slower and then, the player will be able to notice the acceleration.

The same thing happens with the trains, they are very heavy, and they take time to get moving, but once you have a level of momentum, they can go really fast. We will see, we have to check it.

Thanks for that really well explained feedback.

So, more things Smiley I just finished this little bastard. This will be the standard basic enemy that will tirelessly chase you around the screen, and they are quite fast!

Idle, break idle, running and dead_01

Next week, I will start with the rest... jump, stopping, turn, dead_02, attacks..

Comments are welcome!  Beer!

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 11:03:19 AM »

Very nice animation, glad to see that you are capable of bringing that mockup to life.
Will there be opportunities for the player to see the enemy's idle? It raises some questions about what form the gameplay will take.

UberLou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2013, 06:51:06 AM »

The mockups on the Polycount Recap lead me here. It's looking awesome and can't wait to see more!
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2013, 07:11:17 PM »

Love this, keep it up Smiley
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2013, 03:14:04 AM »

Cool pixels and animations! Also reminds me this guy.

sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 12:00:30 PM »

This looks really awesome. I especially love the robot's animation - very bouncy.
Skydsgaard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2013, 11:11:29 AM »

Hi everyone! Smiley

Will there be opportunities for the player to see the enemy's idle? It raises some questions about what form the gameplay will take.

You totally got it! These little demons are summoned to the map through portals and immediately after, they start to run towards you. The truth is, I don’t know for what we will use the idle, but anyway, it was easy to do and fun, also, I got to practice!

Also reminds me this guy.

Ahhhh! I had forgotten about these, they are also pretty fast, right? Now, I feel like playing it again.. Smiley

Thanks guys for all of your nice comments, I really mean it ^__^

Just a little update, now more animations

jump up/down

Hope you like it   Smiley

We are working on some implementations this week, basically to make the mc move around the screen

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 10:02:47 PM »

This is looking really good!

About criticism. One can only gain by listening to other people's opinions, but I suggest filtering out anything that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Specially art related opinions, because these are very subjective.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, people might be wrong! even if they mean well Tongue (I'm not addressing anyone here, by the way)

gokimen
Level 0

Owyeah

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »

i think the ambience is great! but i can't really said anything if there is yet any playable version. waiting one for one soon.
so far looks really great, i'll definitely follow this up.

oh and the logo read more like "Trkalla" than "Irkalla" to me.

Check out the Ulingameworks team! Gentleman
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic