Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:36:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIRKALLA
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: IRKALLA  (Read 445056 times)
somin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: June 01, 2014, 05:35:54 AM »

love the animations Smiley
I think the explosion anim could be even better with more varied timing though, could be snappier.

made a test if you don't mind: http://simonklein.org/img/irkalla_portal_dead_timing.gif

@sominklein      WIP Story Exploration Game      WIP Weltenformer      Done CLIMB
chevkoch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 01, 2014, 11:22:03 AM »

Cheers for pondering my musings! Smiley

The animation of the smoke before was fine, I just felt it looked rather flat (no detail) next to the mech (lots of detail). Now it emanates dimension; I like what you've done with it. Looking forward to see everything embedded into the environments and moving about.

Also interested to learn how that portal is going to fit into the whole scenario.
aberrantmike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: June 01, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »

I like this uh-lawwwt
Skydsgaard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 02, 2014, 10:36:52 AM »

Hi everyone! Smiley

@The_Otherworld_Agency Hi Fabian! Thanks a lot for the support! Smiley

@somin wow! You are totally right!, it's much much better now. Thanks a lot!!!
It's soo cool to have this kind of imput. Some times when I work on these animations (flashy ones are the worst) and I have to see them so many times that by the end of it I don't see anything. So, to have this help is greeeeat.
Did you use photoshop? If yes, I must be doing something wrong, because I can't get the same speed at the end of the animation (using the faster “no delay” frame time option). I even removed a couple of frames at the end but nothing...I still like your timing more U_U

@chevkoch Hi! Smiley always happy to get feedback. To be honest, I still like the flat version more, because it's more clean and it doesn't take away atention from the important thing, the mech. But I understand what you say that, I suppose that I will try to find a middle ground Smiley
About the elements fitting in the scenario, yep, for sure that is going to need a lot of contrast and brightnest tweaking work ^__^U, little by little. Again, Thanks for the comment!

@aberrantmike Glad you like it!! Smiley

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 03, 2014, 01:04:01 AM »

love the animations Smiley
I think the explosion anim could be even better with more varied timing though, could be snappier.

made a test if you don't mind: http://simonklein.org/img/irkalla_portal_dead_timing.gif

superb!
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: June 03, 2014, 02:05:45 AM »

Oh man that pixel art is so cool.

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 03, 2014, 03:57:22 AM »

I'm totally hot for this. Looking really good!
somin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: June 03, 2014, 04:01:38 AM »

@Skydsgaard
yep, I re-timed it in photoshop. The smallest unit I used was 0.03. It does not seem to make a difference to "no delay" though. Maybe 0.03 is already below the minimum that is allowed. When I open your latest gif in photoshop ( cs6 if that makes any difference) the last frames have timings of 0.06 and 0.09 though. Not no delay. Not sure whats going wrong. Maybe check my gif in ps for comparison.

@sominklein      WIP Story Exploration Game      WIP Weltenformer      Done CLIMB
Skippi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 03, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »

FANTASTIC!!!
Remember your avatar :D Very Very Cool!!!
Cristiano Vitorino
« Reply #309 on: June 03, 2014, 08:02:29 PM »

Looking absolutely stunning!Loved how you mixed traditional pixel art with non-pixelated gradient. Also your use of animation for a 3D feeling is really awesome.
chevkoch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 04, 2014, 06:55:57 AM »

@chevkoch Hi! Smiley always happy to get feedback. To be honest, I still like the flat version more, because it's more clean and it doesn't take away atention from the important thing, the mech. But I understand what you say that, I suppose that I will try to find a middle ground Smiley
About the elements fitting in the scenario, yep, for sure that is going to need a lot of contrast and brightnest tweaking work ^__^U, little by little. Again, Thanks for the comment!

Makes sense too, it is cleaner and less attention-calling. With the alternative "dimensional" smoke, the ejection from the gun vent feels more real/tangible to me though. Again, tough to state how I really feel about it with the figure removed from the in-game environment. Will be exciting to see how it's gonna evolve! Smiley
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: June 04, 2014, 08:15:23 AM »

this looks ultra powerful, I LOVE IT

bleezy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 04, 2014, 01:09:15 PM »

This game looks awesome!  I love the art.

About the Big Mech:
It looks like she has 4 cannons (2 on each side) but in both the single shot and the rapid fire animations it looks like the shot comes from between the cannons.  Maybe this is ok for the big shot, but for the rapid fire each of the 4 cannons should fire in sequence.

Also, shouldn't the Big mech have bigger feet?

About the Panties:
The panties make perfect sense to me.  When she is in her home base she wears bulky cargo pants with a bunch of pouches and tools because she is always working on the mech.  When she is in the mech killing monsters she doesn't want a wrench poking into her leg the whole time so she takes her pants off.  I also think it's supposed to be sexy but that's fine and it's nothing that you or anyone else needs to be ashamed of.
noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 04, 2014, 04:02:02 PM »

I don't have much of a problem with the gun barrels but I do agree that it seems a bit off balanced. I wouldn't make the feet bigger though, maybe just have one leg take a step back to balance and brace for when it shoots.

Ghotiol
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 04, 2014, 05:57:27 PM »

I am the problem
Skydsgaard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 06, 2014, 09:36:03 AM »

@Jono @Storsorgen Thanks dudes!!! Smiley

@somin Ok, When I open your gif in my photoshop CS6 this is what I get.

In the normal edit mode, it looks way slower, (especially at the end), compared to what I can see here online, or in the previsualization of the “save for web & devices” option. So, I’m not sure what is wrong either.

Anyway, I copy-pasted (mostly) your timing and when I export, it looks great, do you mind if I use this in the final version? Smiley

@Skippi Glad you like it!! yep, the portals are a very important element in the game. For us, to use them as avatars in the forum was an easy decision Smiley

@Cristiano Vitorino Thanks a lot! SmileySmiley

@chevkoch Ok ok, I finally got something that can work for both of us (and to be honest, after having achieved this, the old version looks flat. I really really see your point, it doesn´t match at all xD I don’t like it anymore).

Thank you again! Smiley

@ANty Thanks! Is it just me, or is someone else doing the blast sound with the mouth every time you see it?  

@bleezy Thanks for the comment! Yep, I understand your point. But for me an important part of the art direction of this game is stylization. There is no intention of having 100% accurate realism.
I will use the awesome classic game Contra to explain this: They used bullets which were five-ten times the size of the cannon, nobody cared, it just worked.
The objective of the blast is just to give the feedback from the mech shooting. So, Im just claiming my artistic license to synthesize reality Smiley

Same goes for the feet. It can be unrealistic, but I'm not the first one to draw big mechs with tiny pointy feet, this is just a stylization that I personally like a lot.

I really want to get the panties issue behind us, but thank you for your opinion and support Smiley

And sorry if this response can sound a bit rough, not my intention at all, I am happy that you took the time to comment.
(I just have a very stressful day ^__^U)

@noumenus yep, it can look unbalanced, but I will keep it as it is for now Smiley

@Ghotiol wow! That was a very intense first post. It’s great to see that what I do can inspire people to create something on their own, but I don’t know what your intentions are with this… if they are good, or a form of criticism or just trolling . But for the 3 of them I only have this response.

Have a nice weekend! xD
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 11:04:56 AM by Skydsgaard » Logged

dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 06, 2014, 10:06:08 AM »

proper way to pick something up:

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: June 06, 2014, 10:22:41 AM »

@ANtY Thanks! Is it just me, or is someone else doing the blast sound with the mouth every time you see it? 
it was me the whole time!

I am the problem
I like butts

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 06, 2014, 02:55:22 PM »

I like butts
Oh God! Gotta Call the police!
Howard Day
Level 1

Huge fan of spaceships and exposions.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: June 06, 2014, 05:59:52 PM »

Why would I do this, you ask? Because I love IRKALLA's art style, and I wanted to see if I could match it, even roughly.

Also, because it's awesome, and we need some brain bleach from that wench/wrench picture. Tongue
Keep up the good work, Skydsgaard!

Main Art guy on Wings of St Nazaire, here's our Devlog, and my Personal Website. SPACESHIP!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic