Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:59:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIRKALLA
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: IRKALLA  (Read 452782 times)
noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: January 20, 2015, 01:34:51 AM »

We don't want to put the coordinate exactly in the limit between one tile and the other (the red dot). Because when we use the "nearest" sample we could get the neighbor pixel. We neither want it to be in the center of the first pixel (yellow dot)

Is that for the same reason you need the half-texel offset on DirectX ?

Check out twitter @noionl for regular updates
dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 23, 2015, 02:23:29 PM »

@noio Well, is not exactly like that. What is described there happens because is using biliniar interpolation for texture sampling. In OpenGL (that is what I'm using) would be like having this setting on textures:

glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);

But we are actually are using the nearest, that does not makes the interpolation stuff, but gives you the plain color of the texture at the sampled point (there must be something like this in DirectX and other engines):

glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);

But if one of our coordinates falls exactly in one "pixel frontier" we can not be sure which of the two neighbor texels will give us. So we must avoid texture coordinates 0.0, 0.25, 0.5,0.75 and 1.0.

Obviously, rounding down doesn't work, because we hit the 0.0 and 1.0:

We can try to 'hit' the texel in its center on the uv coordinates, and offset the size of half texek inside. In this case, 1.0 / 4.0 (the number of texels) leads us to a texel size of 0.25, and we halve it to 0.125 offset in each coordinate:

It look like it works. But, since our viewport will have "zoom", are going to sample the texture more times (x2, x3 ...).

For example when we double the resolution, the pixel shader will sample the texture 8 times, and we will end with a texel sampled just at 0.5  Angry, a point we want to avoid:

If we offset inside the texture coordinates a small amount (in this case a 4% the size of a pixel -> 1 pixel = 0.25 then offset = 0.01).

This way our pixels are sampled at :
0.01 ,0.15, 0.29, 0.43, 0.57, 0.71, 0.85, 0.99

And obviously, this does not only apply to the big images, but to all the sprites.

Hope it clarifies why we need the offset.

Offtopic: To those of you who participate in the Global Game Jam this weekend... Have Fun! .

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: January 23, 2015, 02:52:26 PM »

But if one of our coordinates falls exactly in one "pixel frontier" we can not be sure which of the two neighbor texels will give us. So we must avoid texture coordinates 0.0, 0.25, 0.5,0.75 and 1.0.

I understand! We use GL_NEAREST too (well, I assume that Unity does internally when "Point filtering" is selected) I wonder why we don't have the problem Smiley.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 03:05:26 PM by noio » Logged

Check out twitter @noionl for regular updates
TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: January 29, 2015, 11:42:33 AM »

Woah, amazing pixelart! Great setting for a game, can't wait for something playable !

I come to wonder, though, you don't seem to have audio-stuff planned out yet, is either of you doing that too or is the place open/not planned yet?

- - - -
ehaykal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 31, 2015, 06:20:35 AM »

This is sheer brilliance. I love the whole feel of the game.
dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: February 01, 2015, 02:33:53 PM »

@noio Mmm, don't know, maybe because of your "1pixel-to-1screenpixel" and the scaling at a later pass?

@TheWing we are not working on audio / music yet. 

@eheykal Thanks! Smiley

For today, I would like to explain a little bit how we put together all the images that @Skydsgaard creates. You already know how we export the animation from photoshop from a previous post. But, once we have that, we import it in our "sprite library tool" .. and that is what I want to show you in a "new format" :

As you will notice, English is not my main language, and also I could not manage to reduce the background noise.

Well, tell us if you like this kind of videos Smiley
wzl
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: February 01, 2015, 04:08:11 PM »

Wow, impressive tool. Must have been quite a lot of work on its own.
I find it very interesting to see how you are approaching animations handling. Especially since you use different layers for basically everything. the use of attachment points is quite interesting, and nothing i'd ever personally bother with, but i can see that it would offer a lot of freedom for a game like irkalla.
And boy that approach looks much more workable than going back into the code, finding that specific frame of animation and tweak the time until it seems right. (or timing it through the paint tool and translating it).

One thing i'm wondering is if there is a full animation preview. you have an animation and sprite specific preview, but can you for instance select the mc, and choose any of its animation sets to see the complete sprite preview, with all attached sub-sprites (gun arm for instance). I'd imagine it would help a lot getting the animations straight, and also for testing the transitions to different animations.

Finally, are you keeping this tool in-house, or can we expect to get our hands on it at some point? It certainly seems like a very mighty tool, but still generalized enough to benefit a lot of artists and programmers alike.

Hats off  Gentleman

wzl

Long pork is people! wzl's burrow
TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: February 02, 2015, 05:03:49 AM »

Well, tell us if you like this kind of videos Smiley

I love videos like this, so I'll be eager to watch more!

On the other hand, I do like those longer posts that might have the same things written out separately, they're a bit better to grasp in the long run, since the text is staying there and it doesn't fly past, like in a video.

Some parts of software do need video/gif/movement to show how a thing works, and in that case (like your video now), it's very well in place Tongue

- - - -
dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 06, 2015, 10:58:38 AM »

@wzl Thanks! Smiley  It has some work, but I think in the long term it will pay the effort to code it. There is room for much improvements. You are right, the next step should be to have a way to see the "composed sprites", and all the animation cycle with different parts. I write it down into my TODO list. I don't know when, but at some point I will put that feature.

At this stage we do not plan to release it. Perhaps in the future we can think about it. Would someone pay something for it? (could it be some kind of income to support our game dev?) Shall we release it for free ? Don't know!  Shrug

@TheWing We will keep doing both. As you said, I though that explaining the editor with a long post would be too much, and with a video, people can skip parts, or hear it in the background.
Deftoneish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 06, 2015, 11:08:33 AM »

Wow this is simply gorgeous, I love the art direction!

wzl
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: February 07, 2015, 06:04:45 AM »

At this stage we do not plan to release it. Perhaps in the future we can think about it. Would someone pay something for it? (could it be some kind of income to support our game dev?) Shall we release it for free ? Don't know!  Shrug

I could imagine people paying for it. Would it generate enough to support your gamedev? doubtful.
I'd likely spend a couple bucks on it, since it seems like a really good tool that would enable a bunch of functionalities that otherwise were really difficult to implement manually.

Honestly, the available toolsets to create 2d games at this point is really low. We have general purpose pixel and tilemap tools, but they all do just what you would expect. There are barely any tools that go beyond that (like your sprite library for instance). Compared to the huge scope of 3d dev tools (meshing, scultping, material painters, context sensitive mesh generation etc etc) it is really lacking. Admittedly 2d dev doesn't require any fancy stuff most of the time, but if you want to do something slightly out of the box you're stuck to writing it yourself, distracting you from the actual game dev.

The lack of tools may be a reason for 2d games being stuck with mostly simple mechanics and gameplay. It feels like they barely progressed from the 90ies.

I'm working on a tilemap editor myself to get more artist friendly features in, since i feel basic tile placing doesn't cut it anymore in this day. But the last two weeks i mostly worked on that, so my game doesn't progress at all right now.

Long pork is people! wzl's burrow
ENDESGA
Level 2

Located on the first galaxy in the Heptaverse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: February 07, 2015, 06:15:49 PM »

Love this so much. I've been following development for a long time, and I honest to god cannot die until this is finished.

TWITTER    |    NYKRA DEVLOG
dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 10, 2015, 05:06:26 PM »

@Deftoneish Glad you like it! Smiley

@wzl Well, once it is more polished, we'll see what we do with the tool. (If I'm not too ashamed of the code, perhaps open source it?)

@ENDESGA Thanks! We do not post very often because we are busy working on it  Well, hello there!

The past weekend I re-wrote the code for the main character jump. We found that what we had didn't have too much room for tweaking with what we had, so we had to change it a little bit.

This is how the MC Jump Model works now:

For the game, although we think the best experience would be a gamepad, we do not plan to use analog input (so the experiencie remains the same when playing in a keyboard).

On the horizontal movement: we have the walk speed, the running speed, and in-between a small time (that we can modify easily) about how much time it takes to get from min to max speed, and a different time for stopping. Running will be acomplished with a button/key.

On the vertical part, we want to set a min jump height, and a maximum height, but also to give the player the control of the jump.

So we have 2 different stages of jump:
- preparation: we actually have an animation for this part, that is when the MC prepares to perform the actual jump.
- afterburner: (i've put that name, if you have a better/adequate name, please tell me Tongue) that is the part of the jump when the MC has already taken off, but, if still pressing the jump button, it can make it jump higher.

So, the complete velocity for a jump is composed of 3 parts: min jump velocity + preparation velocity + afterburner velocity.

Since we know the min/max height we want we have fixed the min/max velocity.  We split the difference between the preparation velocity (proportional to the time it takes to play the prepare jump animation), and the afterburner velocity (that is proportional to the afterburner time -> a param we can tweak). 

Lets say for example the animation takes 0.25 seconds, and we put an afterburner time of 0.25 (the maximum time to control the jump height would be 0.5 seconds).

Every row in this figure represents a different proportion of "velocity weight" on each stage of the jump: The first row, all velocity is gained in the preparation jump, on the second one there is on part of the velocity jump that is gained in the 'afterburner stage', and in each row, the contribution proportion of that part grows.

Then we have the boxes:
- The red one : the width represents the time the player keeps pressing the jump button, the height the proportion of the maximum velocity is getting by pressing the button until that time.
- The green one: the width marks the point where the preparation animation ends, and the height the proportion of the max velocity you get at that point.
- The yellow one: the same , but for the last part of the jump.
- The cyan one: is there to mark the minimum velocity threshold

And then we have the parabola, that is the height the MC versus time.

Or, looking at it in another way, here we have two rows:
- the first row is the vertical velocity the MC gets versus the time it keeps pressing the button. And in each column we have a different proportion of the importance of the (prepare/after) stage of the jump.
- on the second row how it maps to the height.

So this way we have these params to tweak:
- min height
- max height
- time after the MC has taken off that can still boost the jump
- ratio of importance of the preparation part of the jump versus the part where it is already on air.

I've been playing with those params and I think that this model is good enough to get a jump that "feels good".
ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: February 12, 2015, 12:37:35 AM »

That seems so bloody intricate! But very interesting to read :D

I personally just have (basically) a horizontal variable, gravity, air and ground friction. I find for a good platformer, high acceleration and deceleration are key. As well as the fluidity and speed of the control reaction.

From the odd videos and .gifs you shown off, the running looks pretty darn good. Though, I'd love to see some more gifs!

Awesome work man! I'm definitely gonna follow this DevLog

dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 13, 2015, 12:15:16 PM »

@ENDESGA Thanks! Smiley

At the end, the two most important params are how much time of pressing the jump button you take into account, and the shape of the "height" curve. And then tweak that. The problem with the jump is that I can show one thousand .gif's but until you don't press the button Hand Any Key you won't feel WTF it.

More gifs will be revealed ... but I can not tell you when Cool Stay tuned !!

I'm going back to work! have a nice weekend Coffee
ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #535 on: February 13, 2015, 01:22:31 PM »

The problem with the jump is that I can show one thousand .gif's but until you don't press the button Hand Any Key you won't feel WTF it.

Yeah, true. In the older version of NIKRA, the player had a slight delay before he jumped. It gave it depth because he crouched when doing so; no one can just jump instantly and quickly without going down and pushing up.
Though it made the game feel slower, and less progressing. Which is the same idea behind attacking; you have to make it cinematic and dynamic, while preserving speed and fluidity.
Complicated stuff. But good stuff.

Can't wait bro! I've heard of this game for a while and I absolutely love it.

While I'm here, would you be keen for a CameoSwap? I'd love for the main protagonist in NIKRA, Tae, to meet this chick from IRKALLA (I forgot her name for a second Sad )

Janeator
Level 0

Slugcat mecha cowboy

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 12, 2015, 12:52:49 PM »

Hey, popping up here for a bit. What did I miss? Seems like there hasn't been news for a while Sad

Looking at Irkalla and Rain World
ramenators
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 03, 2015, 10:51:09 PM »

Been a while since I checked this, I hope to see some updates soon, keep it up guys!
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 04, 2015, 01:25:22 AM »

posting to follow, like main character design it is cool this looks cool
shellbot
« Reply #539 on: June 10, 2015, 10:40:02 AM »

I'm throwing in a bump here. Because I also want to see some progress  Sad

Or at least a sign this isn't dead
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 37
Print
Jump to: