Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:20:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEthereal - On Hiatus
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Ethereal - On Hiatus  (Read 47970 times)
Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2014, 05:57:10 PM »

Holy crap that looks unreal.  Waaagh!

Could you post an image of the source poofs so i can get a better idea of how they are composited?

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2014, 12:32:14 AM »

Thanks! :D
Sure, here is a small sample: http://imgur.com/3kUfHCf

The poofs are all programmed into position using a 2D Array, then a couple loops draw the 7th column of every poof in the cloud formation. Then they draw the 6th column of all poofs, then the 5th and so on. The later something is drawn, the more on top it appear. So everything from the 7th column appears on the bottom layer, and the earlier columns appear higher.

In fact, I was bored, so I decided to make a gif of how the cloud is drawn for you:

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2014, 03:35:33 AM »

I want to bounce on those clouds like a trampoline, they are so light and fluffy.   Cheesy

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2014, 04:18:27 PM »

I want to bounce on those clouds like a trampoline, they are so light and fluffy.   Cheesy

Thanks! I hoped that'd be the reaction from people. Tongue

Devlog Update #61 - 07/24/14

Hey guys, not ready to show any new art or sneak previews off, but I wanted to talk about recent design changes. If you want to see art, check in tomorrow night for Screenshot Saturday!

Worlds
I've decided to lower the number of main worlds in the game from 8 to 7. Here is why: As I've described, the game's worlds are each a memory of the player. I want each memory to feel significant. The character is only reliving these memories because he is not at peace with them. If I have one memory revolve around the tragic death of his parents and another world be about how he lost his job... things just wouldn't match up. The insignificance and lack of trauma involved in one memory would make it feel forced and unnecessary. I do not want to add worlds to the story simply to prolong gameplay time. That would be filler content, which I hate. Another contributing factor is the lack of abilities early-game. There are 7 abilities for the player, and each world introduces a new one. This means, originally, the first world have only one ability available. I was a little worried that the first world would feel less interesting with the puzzles only involving that one ability. By limiting the number of worlds to 7, I am able to more easily able to fit two abilities in the first world. This change will also lower development costs. Note that when the kickstarter is run, if funds reach a stretch goal I can still add many more worlds if desired. The worlds will instead be bonus memories, accessible from the world hub but not necessary to get the game's best ending. This means the memories don't have to be nearly as traumatic or important, because they aren't holding him back from moving on.

Dream-like Memories
I've always thought of the memories for the character being somewhat of a dream. He is not actually in that place and time. Originally, however, I had planned them to be portrayed somewhat realistically. The appearance of worlds would look as they should have when the event actually took place. Recently, the artist and I have been discussing it and decided to make a major change to the design, much for the better I believe. Now, the memories will be portrayed much more akin to a dream. They will be a manifestation of his feelings about the memory. This will allow for much more artistic creativity, as well as more level design creativity! Let me explain why: Portraying the events realistically would have meant using the environment for puzzle design. If a puzzle involved the player flipping up onto a something above, then down to something below, then up again, we would have to do something like a tree on the left, tomb in the middle, tree on the right. That might look okay, but not fantastic like we're hoping for. It would also get very repetitive and, at times, awkward for the player. We can't have hundreds of trees in every level for the player to land on above and one of the main game mechanics is flipping gravity. The game now being more like a dream, we have much greater possibilities. We can have chunks of earth ripped from the ground floating above. Areas near hell voids can look tainted. It even allows for more puzzle ideas, because I can think of things outside the bounds of whats realistically possible for environment design. Lastly, I'd like to note after agreeing to this design change, I realized that one meaning of Ethereal is dream-like. Not sure how I didn't think of that earlier.

Mementos
Originally, mementos were going to be placed in areas very noticeable but hard to reach. Now, they will instead be placed in their own separate rooms, though the rooms themselves will be very noticeable but hard to reach. The memento rooms themselves will be one big, more traditional, puzzle that relate to the memento. For example, perhaps the for "Dad's Pocket Watch" the room will contain a giant clock and four switches. You'll have to set the time a specific time by pressing the switches in a certain order, while each switch will move different hands different directions. Of course, that's just an example, not reflecting what will actually be in the game.

lai-studioguts
Level 0

Hello. Kobo would like to be your friend.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »

Love puzzles, love platformers, love them smoooooooth animations.   Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2014, 10:00:34 PM »

Love puzzles, love platformers, love them smoooooooth animations.   Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thank you! One of our goals for the game was really smooth animations!

Devlog Update #62 - 07/25/14

Purgatory Background (Sky)
The first layer of the world hub, Purgatory, background! It's what the sky would look like in the afterlife, atleast in this game!

Cloud Floor
This is the cloud floor in Purgatory, complete with animation! The animation speed may be slower in-game however.

Door of Reflection (wip)
This is a work in progress sprite of a Door of Reflection. These doors will lead the player to the worlds/memories.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: August 01, 2014, 07:45:54 PM »

Devlog Update #63 - 08/01/14

While looking at these images, I suggest you listen to this world hub's theme here: http://despawn.net/audio/purgatory.wav

Purgatory Preview - CLICK FOR FULL IMAGE!

Nearly complete! It's better in motion, but I'll wait to show you that until its complete. Things missing: The doors for incomplete worlds will be dark with lightning. The completed world doors will look as they do in this. Also, there are some flair clouds missing from the ground that make it look more interesting.

Angel face Statue

This is the angel face seen in the preview above, but by itself. The eyes of the statue will open as you progress through the game.

Completed World Cloud Door

This is the final animation for doors leading to worlds you've already completed entirely. It looks pleasant and peaceful. The non-completed doors will be violent and angry with dark clouds and lightning.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: August 02, 2014, 09:30:57 PM »

Purgatory reminds me *a lot* of Braid.

ohhh.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Savick
« Reply #148 on: August 02, 2014, 09:42:07 PM »

Just stopping by to say those are super nice looking clouds.
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: August 02, 2014, 09:56:09 PM »

Purgatory reminds me *a lot* of Braid.
ohhh.

Braid was one of my influences when designing Ethereal. Smiley I wanted to have a very similar feel in terms of art but using pixel art instead. A lot of people have been saying Purgatory gives off major Braid vibes, so I'm happy!

Just stopping by to say those are super nice looking clouds.

Thank you!

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2014, 11:44:18 AM »

Artist finished loading screen while I have been working on post processing stuff! We should have the last touches on Purgatory finished by Saturday as well. Stay tuned, people!

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2014, 06:59:34 PM »

Devlog Update #64 - 08/08/14

Purgatory: http://www.gfycat.com/MellowImmediateIvorybilledwoodpecker
Improved in many ways, this is Purgatory! The ground now has the flair clouds making it less static-feeling. I've made many adjustments to the randomized clouds and added the text above doors that lead to worlds. Lastly, I've added Limb Darkening to the game and a color filter that I can adjust easily. Oh, and I darkened the sky slightly to make the cloud doors not clash as much.

Loading Screen Animation:
This animation will be used in the game's loading screen!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:11:59 PM by Thomas Finch » Logged

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2014, 01:09:53 PM »

I divided the ground tiles of Purgatory into four horizontal strips and made them move rightward at different speeds. It looks soooo much better in my opinion! I'll show them and hopefully some other stuff on Friday.

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2014, 01:01:34 AM »

Mass Effect loading screen style!
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2014, 07:37:15 PM »

Devlog Update #65 - 08/15/14

Purgatory Changes
Last week, I showed off Purgatory, the game's world hub. This week, I've made many changes and improvements. Clouds are bigger, better randomized, more appealing, less frequent and slower. The floor is now seperated into four strips that move at different speeds. The ground's cloud flair now has 20 variations rather than the old 7 variations. It also now moves from left to right at a similar speed to ground it touches. The dark versions of door have been added for worlds that are yet to be completed by the player. Lastly, the cloud doors now randomize their frame when created so the doors don't look synchronized. You can see all these changes in the gif below!
http://giant.gfycat.com/AptNaughtyAfricanharrierhawk.gif

New Concept Art

Concept art for the Hell Void. These are gateways too hell. If the player touches one, sucks him in like a vortex and snaps its jaws shut.

Originally this was a concept for the hell void. Now, instead, it is being adapted into a painting that will hang on the wall of a tomb in the Cemetery world. The painting will appear peaceful and pleasant, but the closer the player gets the more menacing it will become.

Concept art for Restraint, one of the four hellhounds. When the player is looking in it's direction it looks away, biding its time with its maw closed. When the player turns his back, it moves towards him with his maw open and eager. If it reaches the player, it will grab him and drag him to the nearest hell void.

Youtube
We now have a youtube channel!
We've also released our first youtube video:

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2014, 08:05:54 PM »

The video looks great! Make sure to change the name though - right now it's entitled Ethereal Preview - Pugatory Wink

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2014, 08:30:55 PM »

The video looks great! Make sure to change the name though - right now it's entitled Ethereal Preview - Pugatory Wink

Thank you for pointing that out! Not sure how i missed that.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2014, 01:08:29 PM »

Devlog Update #66 - 08/20/14

Just a small update on what we're up to in development right now. I have been working on the level design for Brookstone Cemetery (the first world). First room (its a big 'un) is almost complete. The artist is working on art as usual, though mainly general game art. He's been working specifically on the hell voids and next he'll be working on environment art (like foliage and rocks). Things already completed for the first world are: The ground (floating ground needs alterations), thorns (spikes), doors (the ones that lead between rooms), the art for Anger, the art for Pain, and lastly the sky background is 90% complete. So actually, a lot of it is done! The brunt of the work is the layers used in the parallax background.

Zarkonnen
Level 1

Games! Kittens! Wine!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: August 21, 2014, 03:42:00 AM »

Happy to have rediscovered this. Really liked the early hellhound-sphere concepts you put on r/gamedev at some point. Smiley

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2014, 03:40:35 PM »

Happy to have rediscovered this. Really liked the early hellhound-sphere concepts you put on r/gamedev at some point. Smiley

Thank you! Actually have a new concept for one of them today!

Devlog Update #67 - 08/22/14

Hell Void

The final version of the hell void! Hell voids are portals to hell littered with peering eyes. If the player gets too close he is sucked in like a vortex and its jaws snap shut with him on the other side. The closing animation is not yet completed.

Wrath

Concept art for the game's third hell hound: Wrath. He paces back and forth, seething in anger. You have to find ways to sneak around or by him or he'll drag you to the nearest hell void.

Worry

Concept art for Worry, the spirit. They pace back and forth anxiously. If the player touches them, they panic pushing him away and running. The player can use them to reach areas he couldn't reach otherwise.

EDIT: BUT WAIT... THERE'S MORE!

Various Environment Concept Art

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:07:58 PM by Thomas Finch » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic