Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:26:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeGame Gifs?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Gifs?  (Read 3253 times)
Purcy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2013, 07:20:32 AM »

I was wondering if there was a tutorial or quick guide on how people on this forum make their game gifs. Its a gif showing some in game footage that I see frequently in the Dev Logs to show progress.
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 07:30:53 AM »

try licecap http://www.cockos.com/licecap/

Purcy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 07:32:30 AM »

Thanks a lot!
Worthless_Bums
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 04:39:57 AM »

I typically Fraps and export with Photoshop.

Currently working on Steam Marines 2, a squad-based steampunk roguelike: A Steam Marines-like!
RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 02:37:53 PM »

I downloaded liceCAP a view days ago and it was pretty stellar for what I wanted to do. GIFs get like massively large really quickly though. Haha.

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 02:46:51 PM »

I downloaded liceCAP a view days ago and it was pretty stellar for what I wanted to do. GIFs get like massively large really quickly though. Haha.

just shorten em with photoshop or gimp Wink

Kekskiller
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 03:20:48 PM »

I've added a frame-capture functionality to my engine dumping out images with added frame time. Then I just need to parse the frame time and pass the images to some command-line image converter.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:40:58 AM by Kekskiller » Logged
tanyaxshort
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 07:15:46 PM »

Gifcam is also very good. And doesn't have the word "lice" in it.  Gomez

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 07:16:46 PM »

can someone sticky this thread? because it is getting old having this question asked like every day

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Purcy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 03:08:26 PM »

can someone sticky this thread? because it is getting old having this question asked like every day

Yeah, agreed, sticky my thread please Wink
Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions!
andreyin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 10:37:21 PM »

I like Licecap, but sometimes I want to show a big part of the screen and it just lags everything. Funny thing is that I'm pretty sure I used to get great FPS' with it, then I formatted and now I get 9-11fps everytime I'm recording.

IMO the best tool for making quick gifs with good quality is Camtasia, but it's paid. Fraps with Photoshop also gets great quality, but sometimes gifs takes ages to load in PS.

Iso
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 02:32:19 AM »

I downloaded this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8211966/HOWTO_make_GIFs/VirtualDub%2BFraps%2BTutosGIFs.zip

I'm not sure what the exact contents are but it has some useful Gifs for using VirtaulDub (included in the download) to make a .gif from a video file.

This pack says it for use with Photoshop to cut even more file size (to do with colours and what not) but I never do that step, the gifs are usually small enough if you keep them short/focused.

So my process is: Record with Fraps, Open video in VirtualDub, Cut out parts I don't want, lower frame rate to something suitable for sharing, crop/shrink size to something suitable for sharing, export as .gif.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:40:33 AM by Iso » Logged

thedukeofzill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 04:53:35 PM »

Licecap is a great tool, but sometimes makes GIFs much larger than they should actually be. If you want to compress GIFs you've made with Licecap I recommend the command line tool Gifsicle. If you're using *buntu you can install it with apt-get.

DevWithoutACrew
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 01:29:42 AM »

I record with OBS and use Qgif to make it to gif, both are free and pretty easy to use

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic