Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:34:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTeddy Bear Picnic Massacre
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Teddy Bear Picnic Massacre  (Read 8095 times)
GroZZleR
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 14, 2013, 10:22:26 AM »

Teddy Bear Picnic Massacre

Released
Play it on Kongregate or Newgrounds

Description
I've begun work on a simple shooter themed around one teddy bear not being invited to the annual teddy bear picnic and taking his revenge out on the other bears there.  We started work on this last Wednesday and are hoping to have it wrapped up by next Wednesday at the latest.

It's a Flash game that will seek sponsorship and then (eventually) be released for free for everyone to play around the web.

Team

Game Design and Programming
A. Scott McCallum (www.grozzler.com)

Art
Kandi Maciejewski (www.artbykandles.com)

Audio
John Hughes (www.twune.com)

Media

Here's some of the basic gameplay (complete with layering issues and Mount Bearmore):

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:39:29 AM by GroZZleR » Logged

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:34:23 PM »

Wow, that's quite impressive! It reminds me of Naughty Bear.

Two weeks is quite a short development cycle.  How did/will you manage it?

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 03:11:36 PM »

I like the animated background. It's a small thing that gives the game a leg up on the typical flash platformer.

Are there any other animations, though? It's hard to tell if the player is avoiding damage or if he just doesn't show it.

There's not much else to say without actually getting to play the game.
GroZZleR
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 03:19:18 PM »

Progress for the day:

- All weapons are now functional (pistol, smg, shotgun, assault rifle, sniper rifle, minigun) but still no way to collect them while playing.

- A variable height terrain system so you can't shoot everything across the screen without moving.  It's generated with random values right now so everything is jagged but will be smoothed out later.

- Parallax backgrounds (too exaggerated I think).

- More enemy types like this adorable yellow bear who tries to stab you to death with his ice cream cones

This is our main menu:

Wow, that's quite impressive! It reminds me of Naughty Bear.

Two weeks is quite a short development cycle.  How did/will you manage it?

Thank you very much -- I'll pass the compliment on to the artist.  I do this full time for a living (making Flash games) so a two week development cycle is 160 man hours for the artist and myself.  It should work out for such a simple shooter as long as I avoid feature creep (hard!).

I like the animated background. It's a small thing that gives the game a leg up on the typical flash platformer.

Are there any other animations, though? It's hard to tell if the player is avoiding damage or if he just doesn't show it.

There's not much else to say without actually getting to play the game.

My first big game, The Summoning, had completely static backgrounds and I was dogged hard for it in the comments.  I make sure all my backgrounds have some animation now.  Lesson learned!

I'm still working out how to show someone is taking damage.  For the player, I think I'm going to flash the screen red.  For the bears, I'm playing with spawning some fluff (rather than blood).  You can see it in the .gif above but I think it looks more like popcorn is exploding out of them.  Angry

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 04:17:03 PM »

Hey Grozzler! Things are looking good so far. The animated "Massacre" text on the title screen is a very nice touch. Also, I think the fluff in place of blood makes sense, but I do get the popcorn vibe myself Grin

I love the animated touches on Mt. Bearmore,  but something seems lacking in their faces. I'm not entirely sure what, but they come off as very plain compared to the rest of the art. I'll keep my eyes peeled on here, and FGL for updates.

Conker534
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 04:26:11 PM »

Not enough fuzz spewing out everywhere!
Looks cool.
GroZZleR
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 03:15:43 PM »

Friday and Saturday progress:

- Weapons now hitscan for collisions to ensure only targets along the same height are hit.  It was actually a lot easier to shoehorn into my entity system than I thought.

- A gift box will periodically spawn that you can collect a new random weapon from.

Which fluff (blood) effect do you think looks best?  Left, right, both or neither?

Not many gameplay elements left to do, hoping I can wrap that up tomorrow.

Hey Grozzler! Things are looking good so far. The animated "Massacre" text on the title screen is a very nice touch. Also, I think the fluff in place of blood makes sense, but I do get the popcorn vibe myself Grin

I love the animated touches on Mt. Bearmore,  but something seems lacking in their faces. I'm not entirely sure what, but they come off as very plain compared to the rest of the art. I'll keep my eyes peeled on here, and FGL for updates.

Less popcorn and more fluff blood in the new .gif?  Re: Mount Bearmore, do you mean the lack of lines / wrinkles on their faces?  She had more features originally but hated the way it looked and smoothed it out.  If there's not it, let me know and I'll pass it along.

Not enough fuzz spewing out everywhere!
Looks cool.

How's the new fuzz look?  Thanks for the kind words.

Conker534
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »

Better, cute art style :D
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 06:53:58 PM »

I kind of like the right one, but the left seems to be pretty much the same as the right except there is less fluff.

GroZZleR
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 07:48:08 PM »

So.  Many.  Little details.

- Resolved the layering issues.

- Weapon system no longer deals damage to enemies off screen.

- Hitscan raycast now correctly fires from the barrel of each equipped weapon rather than from the player's centre of mass.

- Bears have a random chance to drop a gift box (which contains a new gun for the player) when killed.

- Jetpack bear spawns bubbles for propulsion and drops his jar of honey when killed.

- Bear corpses blink out of existence rather than disappearing suddenly.

- Ranged enemies lob their projectiles at the perfect velocity to land at the player's feet.

- Tons of other small things.

Gameplay is about 90% there but not quite perfect yet.  I'll need another day or two to tie it all together and get it where I'm happy.  Kandi, the artist, unexpectedly lost a couple of work days having to move a friend out of their apartment.  We're shooting for Friday over Wednesday to finish the remaining tasks: upgrade menu, options menu, retry menu and any minor miscellaneous items.  Even two days late, I'll be pretty happy with a 12 day turn around.

In most games I make, I like to create "credits avatars" that theme the people working on the project around the game.  Kandi knocked it out of the park this time:

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 09:06:12 AM »

The new fluff on the left looks much better!

Mt. Bearmore came off as plain to me, due to lack of details in the faces. It's not a big deal, as it still looks good in its current form.

GroZZleR
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »

Welp... we definitely missed the mark for getting it done in two weeks.  It's mostly my fault.  I spent the weekend tweaking the gameplay (movement speeds, damage, etc) trying to get that perfect feeling.  The only major feature missing is the upgrade menu, so hopefully I can get it sorted by tomorrow.

What do you guys think is better, the hero in front of the enemies or behind them?  In front improves clarity of position / movement but I find behind more aesthetically pleasing and creates a stronger emotional feeling of being out numbered.

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 12:10:08 PM »

hero in front plz. Otherwize you would probably get confused where your bear is.

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 02:08:28 PM »

Definitely in front.

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 02:18:16 PM »

Definitely in front.

I agree
pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 10:37:36 PM »

What do you guys think is better, the hero in front of the enemies or behind them?  In front improves clarity of position / movement but I find behind more aesthetically pleasing and creates a stronger emotional feeling of being out numbered.
My thoughts exactly, and on that basis, I'd be tempted to put the player at the back.
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 04:33:09 AM »

My thoughts exactly, and on that basis, I'd be tempted to put the player at the back.

It also runs the risk of frustrating the player and having them quit in favor of another game. Since this is a Flash game, that is something to consider. Nobody likes to take blame for their actions. I wouldn't be surprised if players blamed the fact that they can't see themselves as the cause of their death.

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 09:33:13 AM »

I kind of like your "hero" being in the back.  If I were playing the game, I would just jump to figure out where I was.  Giving the player a reason to leave is definitely a concern though, so I don't know  Shrug

GroZZleR
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 11:38:09 AM »

Took a long time to find a sponsor but it's finally out!

http://www.kongregate.com/games/GroZZleR/teddy-bear-picnic-massacre

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/628854/

Let me know what you think.

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 01:23:25 PM »

Congrats on the release! Coffee

The game is fun Smiley  Jumping feels a bit floaty, but that was the only bad thing I noticed.

P.S. The machine guns are REALLY fun!  Hand Metal Left No No NO Hand Metal Right
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 01:28:27 PM by InvisibleMan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic