Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1067334 Posts in 43582 Topics- by 35620 Members - Latest Member: VirObitus

November 28, 2014, 12:22:43 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsFinishedFez
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 126
Print
Author Topic: Fez  (Read 401888 times)
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2440 on: May 01, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »

the save game thing seems to be pretty widespread from the looks of it as well. I thought it was due to my game crashing, but people are reporting that it's happening them despite never having crashed.

even started a new game and played for a few minutes, but after closing and re-opening it still doesn't allow me to continue my game.

it's pretty terrible they learned nothing from the xbox360 save bug thing. corrupted saves is unacceptable.
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2441 on: May 01, 2013, 03:02:39 PM »

the save game thing seems to be pretty widespread from the looks of it as well. I thought it was due to my game crashing, but people are reporting that it's happening them despite never having crashed.

even started a new game and played for a few minutes, but after closing and re-opening it still doesn't allow me to continue my game.

it's pretty terrible they learned nothing from the xbox360 save bug thing. corrupted saves is unacceptable.
Wow yeah, I think I'll hold off playing until the save game corruption bugs appear to be fixed.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #2442 on: May 01, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »

I tried a few more new games until I got one that let me continue, and I'm at 25% now and it seems to be working correctly. I'll be super pissed if a patch comes out and breaks my save or something else breaks my save, but I wanted to play the game so I took a bit of a risk.

it's pretty good, but I can't help but feel a bit let down considering all the praise the game has received. the game is certainly very polished but the core game-play is really shallow and the constant references feel contrived. the camera rotating doesn't really add a whole lot, only managing to slightly distance the game from other similar exploration based platformers. remove the camera rotating and the game's averageness would become much more apparent.

it seems like they spent all their time and effort into the presentation and not the game-play. if the graphics/animations and music/sound effects weren't so good the game wouldn't be worth playing at all. but luckily they are all very high quality and make up for the rather uninteresting game-play.
siskavard
Level 10

FUTUREBEARD

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2443 on: May 01, 2013, 06:37:20 PM »

I haven't had a big stupid mouth agape smile on my face this much while playing a game in a looooong time. Thank you, team Polytron!

Hand Clap

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2444 on: May 01, 2013, 07:02:19 PM »

it seems like they spent all their time and effort into the presentation and not the game-play. if the graphics/animations and music/sound effects weren't so good the game wouldn't be worth playing at all. but luckily they are all very high quality and make up for the rather uninteresting game-play.
I thought there were supposed to be really interesting metagame-y puzzles in addition to the exploration platformer aspect?  Has that not showed yet or is it just not that interesting?

beetleking22
Level 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #2445 on: May 01, 2013, 08:01:26 PM »

He might come off a jerk but his rant are always about being passionate by something he believe in, that resonate with people. "Your game sucks" to Japanese was met with a "thanks", because they knew it wasn't personal just an honest if brutal statement. So it's not random aggression.

Even if he doesn't like Japanese games to just come out and say "your games suck" is an asshole move.

yea except he

didn't

fucking

do

that

Someone who is respectfully asking for your opinion on the state of the industry, and to respond in such a way is reprehensible but good thing there is that he apologized.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:12:01 PM by beetleking22 » Logged
Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2446 on: May 01, 2013, 08:07:37 PM »

I want to see mods for FEZ PC.

Tanner
Level 10

~gene~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2447 on: May 01, 2013, 08:16:53 PM »

Why?

beetleking22
Level 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #2448 on: May 01, 2013, 08:23:42 PM »

I can’t believe people are still talking about that Japanese games thing. Some games made in Japan, and/or by Japanese, suck. End.
Fez, on the other hand, doesn’t. The PC version feels every bit as magical as the 360 version did a year ago, and personally I’m glad it’s finally out.

Yeah He didn't say that some Japanese games sucks. He said that Japanese game sucks.
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2449 on: May 01, 2013, 08:29:45 PM »

he didn't even said that; he said "your games suck" when asked what he thought of japanese games by a japanese programmer. the programmer's english wasn't very good so he didn't even know what "suck" meant, and had to look it up later

beetleking22
Level 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #2450 on: May 01, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »

he didn't even said that; he said "your games suck" when asked what he thought of japanese games by a japanese programmer. the programmer's english wasn't very good so he didn't even know what "suck" meant, and had to look it up later

There is not much difference.
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2451 on: May 01, 2013, 09:19:28 PM »

the difference is in the rudeness of it. he could have said 'games from your country tend to suck', but 'your games suck' makes it more personal. particularly when that guy worked for square-enix, which is known for making games like final fantasy that a lot of westerners make fun of. so he could possibly have meant 'the games of square-enix suck' too.

beetleking22
Level 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #2452 on: May 01, 2013, 09:27:16 PM »

the difference is in the rudeness of it. he could have said 'games from your country tend to suck', but 'your games suck' makes it more personal. particularly when that guy worked for square-enix, which is known for making games like final fantasy that a lot of westerners make fun of. so he could possibly have meant 'the games of square-enix suck' too.

This is how it went. I dont think that Phil only meant Square-enix game sucks.

The Japanese developer praised the movie and said he was pleased to see how many independent developers had been inspired by games such as Super Mario Bros and Zelda since their childhood.

But when he asked what the panel thought of modern Japanese video games, Phil Fish (pictured) immediately replied “your games just suck” – a comment that sparked an audible reaction from the crowd, though some were cheering.

Others looked on awkwardly as the Japanese developer was then subjected to a string criticisms about game design flaws in his native country. The developer nevertheless thanked the panel for their response and returned to his seat.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:38:37 PM by beetleking22 » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2453 on: May 01, 2013, 10:28:07 PM »

I thought there were supposed to be really interesting metagame-y puzzles in addition to the exploration platformer aspect?  Has that not showed yet or is it just not that interesting?

I'm about 40% now and haven't seen any of those. Though someone told me about the QR codes, but that honestly doesn't sound very interesting at all. I found some treasure maps, but I'm not really sure how to read them or what purpose they serve. Everyone recommends to find things on your own and not look up a guide, but the vagueness of them doesn't really make me interested in finding out what their purpose is. I just hope they're optional.

The anti-cubes I've encountered are the reward after little block puzzles. They did break up the exploration a tiny amount, but they weren't that compelling. Solutions were obvious and the block handling made solving the puzzles tedious.

And then comes the backtracking, which is also incredibly tedious. There is a world-map, I don't understand why I can't just fast-travel somewhere. Instead I have to traverse entire levels (with varying degrees of platform difficulty) or hope I find a warp gate or shortcut door that brings me closer to my goal (rare). Don't make the mistake I did, don't leave an area unless you're 100% sure you got all the things.
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2454 on: May 01, 2013, 10:38:46 PM »

that's also my biggest complaint about the game so far. i haven't played it as much as allen, but i don't like that there's no fast travel. it feels like an artificial way of extending game time. even zelda 1 had fast travel, in the form of the flute that would warp you to any of the 8 dungeon entrances. you'd think in 2013 we could have something from 1986.

i do like many other things about the game though and still think it's worth playing. the visual style is pretty good, and the controls feel good. i just don't understand the decision to limit the player's mobility to such a degree

Forstride
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #2455 on: May 01, 2013, 10:52:22 PM »

but i don't like that there's no fast travel.

Yes there is.  Keep playing.

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2456 on: May 01, 2013, 11:03:58 PM »

if you mean the warp points, i don't count those, because you can't actually warp to them from anywhere on the map. fast travel doesn't mean merely warps between points, it means being able to go to different areas of the map from anywhere on the map, not just from specific locations. e.g. like the flute in zelda, or the grail in la mulana

i have on good word from those who have completed the game that there's never a method of fast travel, there's only those warp points

but even if those people are somehow wrong and there is fast travel, making the player wait so long into the game to get access to it isn't a good idea, because what's the use of it if you can't actually use it until very late into the game?

Forstride
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #2457 on: May 01, 2013, 11:13:44 PM »

The game is heavily focused on exploration.  There's already a way to warp to the main areas in the game, what more do you want?  If there was a way to warp to every single area in the game, it'd be crappy IMO.

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2458 on: May 01, 2013, 11:26:54 PM »

i already explained what more that i want: fast travel. the ability to go to those warp points, from the worldmap, without having to re-play through platforming challenges that i already played through once

and of course the game is focused on exploration. but almost every game that i am aware of that focuses on exploration has some form of fast travel. some examples:

- most of the zelda series
- la mulana
- the elder scrolls games
- dragon quest games (the "return" spell)
- waking mars
(could go on)

i think it adds to the exploration to be able to go back to old areas easily and explore them, without having to walk all the way there or find the nearest warp point and hope it leads to somewhere closer. it's just strange to me that it wouldn't have something that so many other exploration games do have. being forced to go through many of the same area several times even though i've already collected all the cubes in that area and even though the map tells me there are no secrets remaining in that area sort of put me off from playing the game, it didn't add to the exploration, it took away from it

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: May 01, 2013, 11:57:55 PM »

The hate and "controversy" surrounding Fish's comments on spreadsheet pcs and jrpgs sucking is way overblown. Why are people getting so upset about some dudes random poorly articulated and overly generalized opinion? It's ridonkulous is what it is.

That said, mooooootherfuuuucker those guys gotta get on it and fix their steam release. The game won't even load on my laptop. got the patch, updated graphics drivers, nada.

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 126
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic