Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:07:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFarSky - Survive underwater [On Steam]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: FarSky - Survive underwater [On Steam]  (Read 19664 times)
TimC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:40:29 AM »

Hey everyone!

With FarSky, you take the role of Nathan who got lost in the Ocean after the crash of his submarine. You need to learn how to survive in the depths of the Ocean.

Use the environment to gather resources, build a base to refill your oxygen and manage all your items, craft equipment and weapons to explore and protect yourself in the Ocean depths, create an in-base farm or go fish hunting to feed yourself,...

Your ultimate goal is to find all the pieces of your submarine, fix it and reach the surface. You can also choose to play in Sandbox mode to enjoy the game freely with a wider map!

All maps are randomly generated to immerse you in an unknown world.

Check out the FarSky Website!

Hope you'll enjoy it   Toast Right
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 03:36:36 AM by Spekler » Logged

Follow the white rabbit !
Facebook
Twitter
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 09:00:09 AM »

You seem to have captured the feeling of being underwater Smiley  I actually jumped a bit when the monster popped up.

Conker534
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 11:40:24 AM »

Following. Looks neat.
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 12:41:22 PM »

This is pretty neat and with such a small file size. I can see it developing into an amazing game some day. I don't know what kind of comments you're looking for at this early stage. I have something negative but don't know how much it matters, you probably intend to change much of it.

So far enemies don't feel like something you come across because you chose your path poorly (or because they are near an item you need) but they seem to behave like random encounters that will occur regardless, while fighting them isn't so great. I've encountered the octopus and there seemed to be no way to dodge the attacks so I just sat still and shot it until it died. The shell was better since I could jump to dodge it but then it's probably best to have those in pairs with different attack timings to give them a fighting chance.

Also, what if your gun isn't so rapid firing but instead a much slower single shot harpoon gun, that can however make (some?) enemies flinch stopping their attacks if you time it and aim it properly (like hitting the octopus tentacle as it travels towards you)? Just a random thought.

Well, I like the atmosphere, the controls are solid, the character improvement screen probably needs some explanation and I loved the fish and manta rays swimming around.

Beer!

PS: I tried to take screenshots with MSI Afterburner and they come up black.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:29:33 PM by Games Inquirer » Logged

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
TimC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:18:55 PM »

@Conker: Thanks a lot !   Grin
@Games Inquirer: That is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for! Great, thanks! As you said, I already planned to add new features that will affect a part of what you mentioned, but I totally agree with what you said and will consider that for the next updates and the futur development of the game. There also will be some explantation for the character improvement screen, I just need time  Tongue. For the screenshot, maybe the black screen only occurs if it's done in fullscreen mode (I always put the game in non fullscreen mode to get them). Don't hesitate to give feedbacks like this in the futur, that helps a lot! Thanks!

Facebook
Twitter
TimC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 04:36:20 AM »

New Update!!!  Grin

The main goal of this update is really to make the game more fun to play.
The gameplay has been improved and new features have been added. I hope you'll like it.

New features are:
- add: critical hit
- add: blood spatter
- add: synaps physically exist and need to be collected
- add: jellyfish enemy
- add: object interaction. Press action button to interact with it
- update: pieces of ship are always visible in the map
- update: piece of ship is now a fan
- update: a ray of light is pointing at the pieces of ship
- update: stage 0 piece of ship is protected by Shell enemy
- update: stage 1 piece of ship is protected by Octopus enemy
- update: Octopus tentacle crash attack can be skirted
- update: Octopus tentacle crash attack makes more damage
- update: Octopus spear attack is easier to avoid
- update: Shell behavior
- update: top light is reflected on fishes
- update: Shell enemy is not hurt the same way everywhere
- update: life and name appear only for bosses
- remove: power switching
- fix: shader manager does not use ARB extension anymore
- fix: error when going deeper than the expected level of stage 1

You can follow the dev on Twitter.

You can also check out the

!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:03:34 PM by Spekler » Logged

Facebook
Twitter
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 06:43:51 AM »

Improvements sound good, will try to play soon Smiley

TimC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 03:08:47 AM »

New update!!! Alpha 04!! Grin

Again, I spent some time thinking about how to make the gameplay more fun and original and also less shooter. So this update is mainly focused on changing the weapon (you have a knife and a slower harpoon now) and also on bringing up a new feature: the energy slicer !
As the goal of the game is to go really really deep (you will be able to reach the dark abyss!), you now can split your suit energy to manage the water pressure and temperature. You will also have some other parameters to manage in the futur, such as lighting, oxygen (when you'll be able to use the vessel), ...

If you go too deep and the pressure is too high, your suit starts cracking and you will die after a certain amount of time:

And if you go too deep and the temperature is too low, your suit begins to freeze, and you can also die:

The energy slicer is looking like this. It replaces the previous suit evolution system which was... not so good on my opinion. But the energy slicer fits perfectly now  Grin

Link to the game

Facebook
Twitter
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 03:12:44 AM »

Great new approach, I was worried when you mentioned removing the power off rather than expanding on its use but it seems you had good things in mind! Edit: cool stuff, feels much better yet simpler, though, is the terrain randomly generated? Because I went down deep to get a third item and I died, but after a point I just couldn't go back up after my helmet cracked, there was no slope, just a cliff. Unless there's a slope elsewhere that I could have gone if I explored further it's probably a bad idea to not give the player room to correct his mistake of venturing too far. Also, it's still not possible to capture stuff in fullscreen, I tried to do a gameplay video in this new version from the start to the point I died and it too came up black except the menu cursor.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:08:17 AM by Games Inquirer » Logged

TimC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 05:40:27 AM »

The terrain is randomly generated. For the moment this may not be very noticeable but in the futur with more content and way wider maps it will be. I understand what you mean with the cliff trouble. There is no slope for the moment, but I'll think about it. Thanks again for your precious feedback  Wink
About MSI afterburner, I downloaded it and had the same problem. As I'm using LWJGL like Minecraft game, I looked on the web and it seems that there are some manipulations to do to record Minecraft with MSI. Actually it seems the JVM is the reason why you can't record without some manipulation first. For my video, I use Fraps and had no issue. I'll try to find if there is a simple way to fix that for MSI.

Facebook
Twitter
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 07:04:40 AM »

Well if the problem is with MSI rather than your game then you don't need to worry about it I guess.

TimC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 07:10:51 AM »

Problem solved!
Well, the issue is that MSI does not like java x64, but has no problem with java x32 (I don't really know why).
I created a new launcher, actually the same as before but with a hidden option that allows you to choose the java path. Now to use MSI you need to:
- Download and launch the new launcher.
- Press F1.
- Put the java x32 file path (for me it is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe)
- Press Ok and press play!
And done! It works fine for me!
Please tell me if you have some issues  Wink

Facebook
Twitter
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 07:16:01 AM »

Cool! Hope MSI fixes their x64 support.

TimC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 03:42:35 AM »

UPDATE!!!  Grin

This update is mainly focused on a new enemy... the shark!
There are also some other stuffs, such as more vegetation, quantum attracted by the player, a short get up animation at the beginning, and more.

Play here
Have fun!  Gentleman

Facebook
Twitter
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 05:03:12 AM »

Scary. Maybe you can add the powering off thing you had for a minor stealth element, to be able to bypass some enemies if you stay a certain distance away with your lights off, otherwise get more aggressively attacked and need to be even further away to get past them without a fight. At least from the screenshot I'm assuming the shark will be roaming an area like the jellyfish (or perhaps the ambient life forms like the fish and manta rays) rather than be an encounter you can't escape like the shells and octopus, I didn't play this version yet!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 05:30:05 AM by Games Inquirer » Logged

TimC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 06:47:00 AM »

The light aspect is indeed interesting, you are right, and I did not give up that idea. I removed it because I put it too early. I wait for the good time to re-implement it with maybe some modifications. Again, thanks for your comment  Grin

Facebook
Twitter
skydara
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 11:38:23 AM »

Hello. I just got this game today, the launcher works great and it even gave me a link to the latest update for the game. Unfortunately this is where my problems start. You see every time I hit the play button the game boots up normally but all I can see is a black screen. I hear the menu music but again all there is, is a black screen. Is there a way i can fix this and is there a way to run the game in windowed mode?
TimC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »

Hi skydara!
Normally when you launch the game there is a farsky.log file that is created in the same folder as the launcher. If you send it to me ([email protected]), I may be able to find a way to fix this. Thanks for reporting the bug  Wink

Facebook
Twitter
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »

Dude, you just got mentioned on RPS!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/10/impressions-farskys-random-undersea-survival/

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 01:45:52 PM »

Kinda reminds me of the book "Dark Life", looks great!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic