Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:12:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMother 4 - Stellar looking fanmade continuation of the Mother series
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Mother 4 - Stellar looking fanmade continuation of the Mother series  (Read 11645 times)
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2013, 10:37:01 PM »

I've been keeping up with development of this project for a while now, and it seemed like they had dropped off the face of the earth until this trailer dropped today.  Looks absolutely amazing IMO.  They really nailed the Earthboard 2 aesthetic.
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 11:34:03 PM »

The characters look like they came from a modern-era highschool animu, which poisons everything else and inspires no confidence.  No thanks.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:42:27 PM »

The characters look like they came from a modern-era highschool animu, which poisons everything else and inspires no confidence.  No thanks.

you should get a room with phil fish

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 12:01:26 AM »

Same here. Girl looks like hatsune miku konata moe. And music hurts my ears.
Wonder if story going be any good, because Earthbound graphics and grind are easiest things to replicate.
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 12:38:46 AM »

That looks great! It really looks in continuity with Mother 3 in terms of ambient, I will sure keep track of that one!

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 12:53:45 AM »

Always sucks to see talent wasted on fan games. I'd much rather play a game inspired by Eartbound rather than a game trying to completely mimic it.

If I wanted to play Earthbound I'd go play Earthbound, not a game that is essentially just fan fiction.
Uykered
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 01:12:23 AM »

Looks really nicely made, looking forward to it. Making fan games is great fun, glad they're doing a good one.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 03:27:51 AM »

I'm impressed and if they finish this I'll probably play it through. They've done a good job mimicking Mother 3 without it looking like a simple ROM Hack. The original monsters look fitting without obvious inspiration, and I like that they've given at least one character a new combat ability. It suggests they're going to try hard to make the game feel fresh.

I wish they'd have gone for an original game, though. It doesn't affect me personally, but I feel like this much effort will be partially wasted because copyright laws will prevent it from ever seeing a commercial release. It wouldn't be all that hard, either - just get rid of Mr. Saturn and the Franklin Badge, change the names of the PSI powers and come up with a new combat GUI. They could probably keep the earthbound inspired graphics so long as they didn't copy any sprites directly.

Still impressed, though.
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 05:23:50 AM »

Why?
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 05:34:59 AM »

it's fucking cool because you rarely see this much expertise and effort in fan games. both the graphics and audio quality are a step up from mother 3.

secretly everyone wants to work on a fan game.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 06:43:12 AM »

The characters look like they came from a modern-era highschool animu, which poisons everything else and inspires no confidence.  No thanks.

Why?

joke; he was well known for hating japanese games (it caused a bit of controversy). it seems like it's become a trend in the last 5 years or so to hate anime, as if it became uncool this generation, and to hate everything associated with it, whereas in the 80s and early 90s, liking anime was cool, now it's become more popular to hate it

i don't think it's that healthy either way, anime-style games should neither be hated on sight nor loved on sight

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 08:13:44 AM »

Always sucks to see talent wasted on fan games.

Fan projects have a tendency to draw, catalyse and keep talent and combined effort like most other projects just don't. Something with a large and dedicated fanbase will have lots of people wanting to work on it and tons more looking forward to it from the start. So I don't think one should see it as depleting finite talent-hours or something when the people working on it likely wouldn't be spending nearly as much much time and effort on another project.

And it's probably a good gateway for people to get involved in game development anyway.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 08:17:35 AM »

I hope they get it right, but I'm not expecting much.

We'll see.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 03:28:41 PM »

The characters look like they came from a modern-era highschool animu, which poisons everything else and inspires no confidence.  No thanks.

Why?

joke; he was well known for hating japanese games (it caused a bit of controversy). it seems like it's become a trend in the last 5 years or so to hate anime, as if it became uncool this generation, and to hate everything associated with it, whereas in the 80s and early 90s, liking anime was cool, now it's become more popular to hate it

i don't think it's that healthy either way, anime-style games should neither be hated on sight nor loved on sight

Putting aside the politics of animu criticism, it's just a terrible fit for Mother.  If you get one thing out of my posts in this thread, let it be that.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 03:56:10 PM »

But sadly they realy dont loook like you say they do. They look more canadian tho.

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 04:54:49 PM »

This looks cool. I never played any of the Mother games (only watched a let's play of Mother 3) and this looks like it could be what gets this generation into the Mother series, including me. Hoping the story is as good as the graphics and the battle system
PS: I fell in love with the pixel art in this x_x

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 05:18:48 PM »

It seems kind of weird/bad for a fan game to title itself like an official sequel; is that common for fan games?

(edit: bad because it takes more ownership over something that is not theirs than I am comfortable with)

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 05:39:26 PM »

But sadly they realy dont loook like you say they do. They look more canadian tho.

Are you being serious?
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 05:43:43 PM »

I could ask the same question.

gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 05:44:33 PM »

the only """"""""""""""""""""""Animu" part opf those designs is uh

purple hair??