Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:17:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMother 4 - Stellar looking fanmade continuation of the Mother series
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Mother 4 - Stellar looking fanmade continuation of the Mother series  (Read 11650 times)
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 05:45:24 PM »

It seems kind of weird/bad for a fan game to title itself like an official sequel; is that common for fan games?

(edit: bad because it takes more ownership over something that is not theirs than I am comfortable with)

It was titled as such because Itoi once said that if Mother 4 wereto be made, he would rather be a player this time. I supose the creators took that as agreenlight forsuch a game.

Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »

Ok, you guys are right - a girl with eleborately-designed purple hair in a Japanese-style sailor school uniform is definitely not animu.
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 06:23:10 PM »

If no graphics are ripped (I don't have time to check atm) that's pretty amazing work.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 06:53:06 PM »

The character graphics definitely are not ripped. They resemble the style of various characters from Mother 3 a bit, but are definitely not direct copies. They may be copying some of the overworld graphics, though.

I like the suit guy with the big nose. He looks like an atypical JRPG hero, which is really cool.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 07:07:24 PM »

Ok, you guys are right - a girl with eleborately-designed purple hair in a Japanese-style sailor school uniform is definitely not animu.
Ah yes, yo said characters, which other bears animu diesgn styles?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 07:48:54 PM »

that's a catholic schoolgirl uniform, not a japanese schoolgirl uniform. get your schoolgirl uniforms right!

Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 08:12:04 PM »

Ah yes, yo said characters, which other bears animu diesgn styles?

The two teenage males are trickier, because male animu characters are a lot more vanilla than the female of the species - especially when abstracted down to Earthbound-style pixel art.  But you stand them on either side of Sailor Moon there and suddenly they could pass for Persona characters - tousle-hair stripey top fails the pencil test for sure.  Guilty.

that's a catholic schoolgirl uniform, not a japanese schoolgirl uniform. get your schoolgirl uniforms right!

It looks like the ones in Bible Black to me, we'll call it a tie.
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 08:15:58 PM »

Plus the hair design regardless of color definitely fits with the vintage America (ala 1950s) style.

Twitter
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 08:22:16 PM »

Aside from the hairband, that style isn't very 50s-looking at all.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 08:36:30 PM »

there was also a central character from mother 3, an official mother game, with purple hair, named kumatora

okay that's more magenta (red-purple) than purple, but it's still not a standard hair color

Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 08:55:01 PM »

Those sprites weren't actually in the game, this is what she actually looks like:

It's different because she's like a lesbian punk or whatever who was raised by magical drag queens.  Unless the purple-haired schoolgirl was raised by a tribe of hentai pvc kits, I don't want to hear about it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:02:12 PM by Sharkoss » Logged
Dragonmaw
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 09:06:06 PM »

"It's anime so I hate it."

1.) You're wrong
2.) I hate you

I expect Nintendo to shut down this project - at least with the name Mother 4 - as soon as they find out. There's a reason they aggressively litigate those that misuse their trademarks and such.

It's a shame too; this game has got some serious development muscle, and is really stunning looking.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 09:13:20 PM »

There was an interview with Itoi conducted a while back where he says he might just tell a fan to "go for it" if they wanted to make a MOTHER 4.  Don't know how literally he meant that, but he has a ton of control over the IP, so I imagine he's pretty lax as far as fangames go.
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 09:13:53 PM »

1.) You're wrong
2.) I hate you

I expect Nintendo to shut down this project - at least with the name Mother 4 - as soon as they find out. There's a reason they aggressively litigate those that misuse their trademarks and such.

It's a shame too; this game has got some serious development muscle, and is really stunning looking.

Shut up, cock.  I am on record as liking Princess Tutu, Spice and Wolf and Kimi ni Todoke over in the animu thread.  Bitches don't know about my animu.  I just don't think it belongs in Earthbound.  Also, Nintendo *doesn't* aggressively litigate fan projects at all, that's absolute nonsense.  You sure do love to weigh-in on stuff you have no clue about.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 09:52:47 PM »

Yeah, Nintendo is pretty hands-off. The only thing I can think of in recent memory was that Super Mario Bros. X game that wasn't even that great to begin with. Those wii level editor programs still exist and there's people selling fan-made Mother 3 strategy guides for a romhack, so I think this will probably be fine.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 09:57:51 PM »

Yeah, Nintendo is pretty hands-off. The only thing I can think of in recent memory was that Super Mario Bros. X game that wasn't even that great to begin with.
It might not have actually been C&D'd.  Some of the fans speculated that it was Redigit's way of dropping SMBX so he could work on Terraria.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2013, 10:08:28 PM »

1.) You're wrong
2.) I hate you

Shut up, cock.  I am on record as liking Princess Tutu, Spice and Wolf and Kimi ni Todoke over in the animu thread.  Bitches don't know about my animu.  I just don't think it belongs in Earthbound.  Also, Nintendo *doesn't* aggressively litigate fan projects at all, that's absolute nonsense.  You sure do love to weigh-in on stuff you have no clue about.

You're right, I fully expect them to let a game literally titled as the next entry in the Mother franchise to slide. They obviously love fan projects that are depicted as a numbered franchise edition.

Nintendo aggressively litigates anybody who they feels dilutes their franchises. If this was titled something like "Mother: Reborn" I wouldn't expect a Nintendo C&D. There are plenty of fan projects that go around under obvious fan project names, like AM2R. But given the name, I will not be surprised if Nintendo steps in and issues a conditional C&D (stop using the Mother 4 name, switch to something else).

You're wrong because it doesn't look anime at all. It looks Mother, but higher res. Someone earlier in the thread compared it to Canadian cartoons, and that's probably the most accurate. You're fixating on different color hair and a girl's outfit. Why? I have no clue, it's honestly kinda creepy.

In short: You dumb.

There was an interview with Itoi conducted a while back where he says he might just tell a fan to "go for it" if they wanted to make a MOTHER 4.  Don't know how literally he meant that, but he has a ton of control over the IP, so I imagine he's pretty lax as far as fangames go.

That's true, I suppose. I hadn't seen that interview. If that's the case, it'll probably be fine.
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2013, 10:15:19 PM »

1.) You're wrong
2.) I hate you

You're right, I fully expect them to let a game literally titled as the next entry in the Mother franchise to slide. They obviously love fan projects that are depicted as a numbered franchise edition.

Nintendo aggressively litigates anybody who they feels dilutes their franchises. If this was titled something like "Mother: Reborn" I wouldn't expect a Nintendo C&D. There are plenty of fan projects that go around under obvious fan project names, like AM2R. But given the name, I will not be surprised if Nintendo steps in and issues a conditional C&D (stop using the Mother 4 name, switch to something else).

You're wrong because it doesn't look anime at all. It looks Mother, but higher res. Someone earlier in the thread compared it to Canadian cartoons, and that's probably the most accurate. You're fixating on different color hair and a girl's outfit. Why? I have no clue, it's honestly kinda creepy.

In short: You dumb.

You're a stupid fucking sewer animal and a pederast.  Fuck off.

USER WAS PROBATED FOR THIS POST
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:06:06 PM by Dragonmaw » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2013, 10:19:25 PM »

if the only evidence is the hair color and the school uniform (which still looks more catholic than japanese to me) i don't really get calling the whole game anime rather than just that one character. if you removed that character there would be nothing anime-like about the game at all, except in the sense that they have big heads and small bodies (but plenty of western 2D rpgs did that style too)

forwardresent
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2013, 10:47:43 PM »

It looks like a Mother game. This is really neat, I hope they manage it without any problems. It's nice to see fans do things like this. Now I want to boot up Earthbound again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic