Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:15:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)pygame vs pyglet
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: pygame vs pyglet  (Read 10204 times)
winterkill
Level 0

Shpadoinkle!

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2008, 12:50:59 AM »

I'm trying to decide between pygame and pyglet to kick off some new projects. I have some experience with python (but nothing related to games) and love the language (which is why I want to use it rather than C++). This would be my first real foray into game development, hopefully culminating in a couple of platformers.

Does anyone have experience with both of these packages? I'm leaning toward pyglet at the moment because it's based on OpenGL (which I have a little experience with) rather than SDL and seems like it would be more cross-platform friendly. The pyglet project also seems a little more active, and I think I prefer their aesthetic to the pygame folk's.

Any opinions?
Michael Buckley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 01:09:33 AM »

I recommend following your instinct on this one. SDL is not a bad library by any means, but it's not as powerful as OpenGL. In my limited experience with pygame and pyglet, they're both fine libraries.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 08:12:04 AM »

Having started off with Pygame and then pyglet, I definitely prefer pyglet. The downside at the moment is fewer games to look at and less documentation, though the documentation still is pretty good. I like OpenGL and pyglet's event framework in particular, and the Cocos project for pyglet is pretty interesting as well. 

You could take a skim of some of the Pyweek games to get a feel for programming with each library if you're still undecided.
qubodup
Level 1

icons?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 05:48:59 PM »

Any opinions?

Pyglet is cooler. Pygame is more popular.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 04:27:32 PM by qubodup » Logged
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 05:50:35 PM »

Yeah I've never heard of Pyglet before this, but it definitely looks very interesting.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 09:02:44 AM »

True. I started with pygame and moved to pyglet. Pyglet requires more work, but produces more satisfying results.

riq
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »

I think it also depends on your target.
Are you going to support 'old' hardware ? do you need hardware acceleration ? do you want to support OLPC ?

If you want hardware acceleration, I would choose pyglet. I like a lot. And as it was mention earlier, you have cocos2d ( http://www.cocos2d.org ) which is a nice game library (he, I'm one of the authors ;-)

But if you want to support old hardware, go with pygame.

cocos2d
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic