Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 12:15:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBandits and Bounties - Spaghetti Western Action-RPG
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Bandits and Bounties - Spaghetti Western Action-RPG  (Read 31404 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2013, 02:57:11 PM »

The Playable Combat Demo is now available!

Bandits and Bounties is a Spaghetti Western themed Action-RPG inspired by movies such as A Fistful of Dollars, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Death Rides a Horse, and Sartana where you play as a gunslinger offering his or her services to the highest bidder.

This is a game I've been wanting to make for a while, and is a combination of some ideas that have been floating around in my head for even longer.  Finally decided to start making the thing.

Support the game on Kickstarter and Greenlight  

Video Update #1 - Character Creation

Video Update #2 - Dialogue System

NOTE:  Jared C. Was originally doing the art, and you can see his art for the first 5 or so pages of the DevLog.  Now I'm doing the sprite art and a friend of mine by the name of Ben is doing concept art and portrait art.

Scenario-based Design

The game will comprise of a series of scenarios.  You play as a lone gun-slinger who wanders into an area and tries to make as much money as possible out of the situation.  Within each scenario, there will be multiple factions and characters trying to achieve various goals.  You can help them, hinder them, and play them off each other.  I want the world and characters of each scenario to react to the player's actions and allow the player multiple ways of handling any given scenario.

Combat

While I'm trying to go for something of a mid-90s simulationist approach to overall game design, I want to keep the moment-to-moment combat feeling fast paced and smooth.  You will also be able to use stealth and conversation to get the upper hand in combat or avoid it all together.

Dialogue

One of my big goals is to have dialogue and combat intrinsically connected.  Dialogue can break out into a fight if it goes poorly and combat can be avoided if dialogue goes well.  Rather than being structured like a dialogue tree, the dialogue system in the game will be more similar to the diplomacy system from a strategy game.  You can use this system to ask characters for information, make threats and demands, and get jobs and bounties from NPCs.

Character Creation

UPDATE:  See the character creation screen in action.

I'm also taking a lot of cues from tabletop games, especially in character creation.  In addition to customizing your character's appearance and allocating their stats, you can also buy traits which can act as passive bonuses (say, an increase to intimidation), give the characters skills (such as the ability to chain critical attacks).  There will also be negative traits which give you extra points to spend on traits, but which handicap your character in some way.  I'm currently planning on not having any form of leveling up in the game (especially since the individual scenarios aren't super long), but the game will have a character creation system where you can edit your characters stats, buy them certain attributes (both positive and negative), and customize their appearance.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:36:11 PM by Alec S. » Logged

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 04:00:26 PM »

Aaand a mockup of gameplay!~

Conker534
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 04:01:49 PM »

Cool! Following.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 04:31:15 PM »

the sprites are quite charming. is the perspective coincidental or will they walk with a stompy fist shaking hodown gait that faces the camera regardless of the direction of travel? but the mockup feels really claustrophobic even though it's an open space. if you're working with guns i think you might need a bigger viewport or some very fast movement
CVaseTYb!!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 04:55:10 PM »

the mockup makes it look like you and your multi-ethnic posse go about shooting unarmed greenhorn country bumpkins

good
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 05:26:21 PM »

the sprites are quite charming. is the perspective coincidental or will they walk with a stompy fist shaking hodown gait that faces the camera regardless of the direction of travel? but the mockup feels really claustrophobic even though it's an open space. if you're working with guns i think you might need a bigger viewport or some very fast movement

The perspective is for the sake of the mockup.  As entertaining as a perpetual hodown gait would be, being able to tell which direction a character is facing will be pretty important for many of the mechanics of the game.

As for screen size, the screen-size in the final game will likely be larger.  Also, the level design will contribute to how claustrophobic any given area is.  In addition to that, distances will play a fairly major part in the game, as each character will have a certain range in which they can take an "aimed shot", which will take some time to line up and deal critical damage (as well as play into some other mechanics which I'll go into at a later time)

ink.inc
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 06:03:27 PM »

sikk
Boopable
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 06:31:49 PM »

Honestly, like the game idea. Reminds me of Sunset Riders--Good times! Is this gonna be an arcadey twin-stick or more of a tactical RPG? With all those stats, I could see that!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:42:17 PM by Boopable » Logged
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 07:01:22 PM »

Basically a little bit in between.  Combat will be fairly fast-paced and action-oriented, but a lot of it will be finding the best approach and position.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 11:28:59 PM »

Lovely art!
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »

¡The map and UI is muy smootho señor! You need to dirten it up, this is the west, no one out here runs around with a clean UI on a clean carpet.

I'm just wondering, if you arrange the bullets of the guns in a circle and move them when you fire one, that would look fantastic. just like a real revolver.

Anyways, great idea, needs more cool cowgirl

conorh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 01:03:23 AM »

bare followin
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 01:21:12 AM »

¡The map and UI is muy smootho señor! You need to dirten it up, this is the west, no one out here runs around with a clean UI on a clean carpet.
ya was gonna say the same thing. if this is supposed to be a spaghetti western game it looks too clean for that right now.

concept sounds way cool though. i guess sartana/sabata influence means it'll have weird gimmick guns?
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 01:33:47 AM »

Where's rope?
You don't have a western without some rope to tie some evil gringos.

Yeah.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 09:44:08 AM »

i guess sartana/sabata influence means it'll have weird gimmick guns?

Oh, most definitely.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 11:35:09 AM »

Currently working on the combat system and enemy behavior.  I've got basic pathfinding set up.  Enemies have default behavior (which is currently just to path to a certain point on the map, for testing purposes) until they spot the player, at which point they'll draw their gun and start fighting.

Still have a lot of finesse work to do.  One of my next tasks will be adding some in-between states of being aware of the player's presence, but not having a direct line of sight, which will cause the enemy to investigate the player's last known position.

I'll also have to make states that differentiate between a player with a drawn gun and a player with their gun holstered.

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 01:08:01 PM »

The sprites look awesome. Following.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 01:16:46 PM »

i guess sartana/sabata influence means it'll have weird gimmick guns?

Oh, most definitely.

great!

are you gonna have character classes? because there are a lot of character archetypes in spag westerns that imo would be fun to mine for rpg classes. the silent avenger, the bandit with a heart of gold, the cold bounty hunter, the mexican revolutionary, the sabata/sartana "james bond of the west" etc etc
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 01:23:07 PM »

There aren't going to be pre-defined character classes, but I'm hoping to design the character creation system so you can essentially build these archetypes.  A lot of that will be in the attributes.  For example, the Bandit with a Heart of Gold character could take the "Wanted" attribute, (which would also give them some extra points to spend on more attributes), while the Sabata/Sartana character could take irregular weapon proficiency.  (The character creation system is partially inspired by the tabletop game Spirit of the Century, which took a similar approach to letting the player build towards archtypes rather than creating a set of archtypes for the player to choose from)

habadash
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 01:48:58 PM »

I <3 the art direction. KEEP IT UP!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic