Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:26:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUmbrella - Emotional Puzzle Platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Umbrella - Emotional Puzzle Platformer  (Read 8016 times)
goodtimeshaxor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:53:56 PM »

Umbrella is an emotional, atmospheric story following the journey of a lone, young, artistic woman who travels through a city in an attempt to reveal a painful forgotten past and to discover what exactly has happened to the world. It will play as a traditional puzzle-platformer but will heavily rely on the story to drive it's mechanics, art, and music.

Accompanied only by her umbrella, a young woman travels through a desolate city in search of clues as to why the world around her has become so empty and meaningless. With little to no recollection of her past, she wanders aimlessly through alleyways, sewers, and across rooftops in search of answers. As she makes her way through formidable obstacles and deadly traps, she begins to uncover fragments of her mystery. Slowly, she pieces together what’s left of her lost memories and begins to vaguely recall a time when the world wasn’t as lifeless. Our protagonist continues her journey but now fueled by an intense desire to bring color and beauty back into her dark world.

One by one, she brings color to both physical and mental obstacles that once stood in her way. As the world becomes more vibrant, it becomes clear to the player that the dark world, as seen by the protagonist, is not truly as it seems.

Updates

Animations

A demo scene we're working on right now in Unity3D:

Character concepts:

Spirit concepts:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:57:52 AM by goodtimeshaxor » Logged

@LunarPeter

Creative Director of @LunarEnigma.
Moderator of reddit's /r/gamedev.
Showcased at PAX once upon a time.
goodtimeshaxor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:09:47 PM »

<Reserved for future use>

@LunarPeter

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 03:14:04 AM »

Sounds like a cool idea. Just from the title card and description, the game seems to be metaphorically referring to depression. Dunno if that's intentional.

I like the sound of "bring(ing) color back" to the world. I'm imagining puzzles where solving the mechanical challenges simultaneously rewards the player by putting the scene back to color. It sounds like it could be fun to play on both of those levels.

The real deciding factor is going to be the quality of the puzzles. Hopefully you'll have some of those to show off sooner than later. The demo scene you've provided is pretty, but doesn't give any indication of how the game might play out. I can't even really pick out the platforms there.
Iso
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 06:49:08 AM »

I recognise this from /r/gamedev Smiley Really looking forward to where this game will go from the art style alone!

goodtimeshaxor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 11:07:22 AM »

Sounds like a cool idea. Just from the title card and description, the game seems to be metaphorically referring to depression. Dunno if that's intentional.

I like the sound of "bring(ing) color back" to the world. I'm imagining puzzles where solving the mechanical challenges simultaneously rewards the player by putting the scene back to color. It sounds like it could be fun to play on both of those levels.

The real deciding factor is going to be the quality of the puzzles. Hopefully you'll have some of those to show off sooner than later. The demo scene you've provided is pretty, but doesn't give any indication of how the game might play out. I can't even really pick out the platforms there.

Definitely intentionally referring to depression. The entire game including it's mechanics are directly tied to the major story line. Good catch!

Regarding mechanics and quality of puzzles, I have a few puzzles mapped out on paper but nothing in code yet that can be tested. I am hoping they play as well as I am planning. I'll keep at it and update this and other dev logs as I make progress.

I recognise this from /r/gamedev Smiley Really looking forward to where this game will go from the art style alone!

Thanks for the comment! I am in love with the artist right now Wink

Update 8/28/2013:

I was playing around with animating rain in the scene. Turned out pretty good. The gif here is an optimized file so a lot of frames are missing which makes the rain look staggered.

I also added a glowing vignette to the scene adding a much need ominous feel. Next, I'll be working on getting rain sounds and thunder/lightning flashes

Updated Full version 8/30/2013 (http://files.lunarenigma.com/umbrella/flash/lightning4.html)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:40:31 PM by goodtimeshaxor » Logged

@LunarPeter

goodtimeshaxor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »

New concept art!

This is a major area in the game which will now feature 5 distinct Acts. Each act will represent a different stage of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. And each act will also have a distinct color palette and present unique obstacles for the player to overcome.

We'll be working on fleshing out this concept since it represents a major part of the game. We've also started working on in-game character mock-ups and will hopefully have something to show mid-next week.

Full-size version tiled vertically:

@LunarPeter

ink.inc
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 07:54:44 PM »

looks pretty slick
goodtimeshaxor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 09:40:18 AM »

Character Concept Draft 1

@LunarPeter

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 01:29:54 PM »

nice concept and great mockups Smiley

happynuke
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 01:33:35 PM »

I found a pic/gif of the rain from this game on Reddit one day and couldn't find it again. So happy I found this thread!
goodtimeshaxor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 07:25:36 PM »

A first draft of an animated Subway scene

And a small update of the character concept illustration. Fixed her eyes and her right pant leg.

@LunarPeter

goodtimeshaxor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »

Cottage Exploration 2.0

Here are a couple high-concept pieces for the cottage scene which will open up the entire story. In the beginning when you say goodbye to your Grandmother to go pick flowers in the field, the cottage is in a peaceful state. However, when you come back after a pleasant day in the fields, the cottage is in a state of absolute ruin and despair and your Grandmother is no where to be seen.

@LunarPeter

somin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 12:49:40 PM »

I really dig the environments, they are top notch.
I also like the character concepts in the first post, but the new ones seem really off. I'm by no means an anatomy expert, but there's a lot of stuff quite wrong.

I made a quick Overpaint / transform + smudge mockup, I hope thats okay:
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk293/pnyx1/umbrella_op.jpg

I like the animated scenes as well, although I would probably go lighter on the brightness change that goes on all the time, I find it very distracting. Especially as there is no reason for it in the scene.

@sominklein      WIP Story Exploration Game      WIP Weltenformer      Done CLIMB
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 01:15:49 PM »

Great concept art!

Kian
Level 0

Unplugged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 07:25:31 AM »

wow, so nice

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 07:40:37 AM »

Holy! You have an amazing artist, I absolutely love the art. The theme is interesting too, I'm really looking forward to seeing how you do it My Word!

Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 12:21:45 AM »

These concepts arts are gorgeous! I want more!

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 06:27:29 AM »

OH my, this really get's me excited (although the game seems about the complete opposite) but this looks very deep and there's nothing more that get's me into a game than an extremely compelling storyline/feature.

Following this for sure!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic