Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 10:49:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDaughters of the Void [ded]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Daughters of the Void [ded]  (Read 16794 times)
coah
Level 1

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2013, 09:32:32 PM »

The game is dead, but If you'd like to see what it was you can download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8qkek5thzz4lopc/Daughters_of_the_Void_(testbuild_3).zip

This game is supposed to offer some meaningful challenge inspired by older NES titles. I would like to find a balance between the gruesome difficulty of older games and a more modern time-conscious design.
The game was initially supposed to be a combination of the combat-platforming sections of Zelda II with the game-structure of Castlevania.

Developed in Unity, Artwork and Coloring in Photoshop, Animation in Aseprite, Backgrounds in Tiled.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:46:53 AM by coah » Logged
cirpons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 09:14:59 AM »

Love it!
The art and music is amazing.
I would love to see where this goes.
(didnt get too far tho, but I plan on changing that in the next few hours)
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 12:51:22 PM »

Stage 4 2 hard Sad

Tis awesome tho.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 10:16:36 PM »

Thanks for playing it, I hope you stick with it. While the game is a bastard, I think that you will feel something great if you manage to beat it.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 12:27:30 AM »

It's been a while since there's been a platformer I enjoy Smiley Well done.

cirpons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 01:16:12 AM »

Stage 4 2 hard Sad

Tis awesome tho.
wait until level 6,not even gonna talk about the boss,
I think I died like 10-20 times at each level.
But this screen was so worth it:

feelsgudmon.png
coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:33:34 AM »

Stage 4 2 hard Sad

Tis awesome tho.
If you manage it, id love to hear about it.

It's been a while since there's been a platformer I enjoy Smiley Well done.
I really appreciate that Belimoth.

http://i.imgur.com/7q8934E.png
feelsgudmon.png
Yes, the boss is pretty rough. I though about making it easier in some way but I like that there is a lot to observe and be cautious about in the fight. I think that by toning any of it down it would have taken away the potential the fight has, because there will never be anything else like it within the game.
Did you find anything to be unfairly difficult?
cirpons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »

http://i.imgur.com/7q8934E.png
feelsgudmon.png
Yes, the boss is pretty rough. I though about making it easier in some way but I like that there is a lot to observe and be cautious about in the fight. I think that by toning any of it down it would have taken away the potential the fight has, because there will never be anything else like it within the game.
Did you find anything to be unfairly difficult?
Well does a lack of save mechanic sound unfair?(or did i just entirely miss it?)
up until the fifth level it was all right, the timing was strict, but by the 10th death you know those missile patterns by heart, and by methodicaly killing the skeletons and rolling spike thingies it was relatively easy.

In level 5, the mid section (the one where you have to jump up  to a higher section in a zig-zag pattern while being shot by a row of arrow traps(id take a screenshot but i dont have the time)) was nearly impossible to time right, i only managed it by pure miracle.

Everything else was more or less OK although level 6 was really long and exhausting, but by then I guess i had just adjusted to the game and just went with it, learning from my mistakes.

more respawn points in level 6(any level actually) would be nice, but I guess that would take away from the challenge (and rage).

Id gave me a nice retro vibe in terms of difficulity and graphics. Oh and also her hair and sword seem to merge with the background.
coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 04:15:55 AM »

This demo build has been re-done many times now. I think I've finally got it down to something decent, no saving but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. What I've added though is a  simple way to load any of the 7 levels by pressing the number you want to load on your Keypad.

I've also addressed the issue brought up by you cirpons, regarding level 5. Some traps have been disabled, hopefully it also helps to communicate that they can be destroyed.

I might end up toning down level 6 at some point, depends a lot on what the full game feels like.

New Build (link in OP)

This is what the second passage looks like
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 02:00:34 PM by coah » Logged
cirpons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 08:24:52 AM »

This is what the second passage looks like

Replayed the fifth level, gotta say that its an improvement and it took me far less tries to finish.

*also replayed the boss in hopes to see the new passage in game, was a bit disappointed*
I love how you use complementary colors to define the stages.
Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 07:32:14 PM »

It's been a while since I played someone else's game-in-progress, but the look of this one compelled me to download it for some reason. I guess I've always found Zelda II to be oddly charming in that regard.

Anyway, really nice! It's definitely got that Zelda II charm but without the annoying overworld elements or towns. I didn't get hung up too often, especially once I found out that you could destroy some of those arrow launchers to get them to stop shooting arrows.

As far as the boss goes, it wasn't too bad difficulty-wise. If anything, I think the amount of health it has makes it far more likely for people to slip up, so if you're considering toning it down, chopping off 1 or 2 units of its health would probably be enough.

One other recommendation I must make is that you should really consider changing the music to something 8-bit. The guitar solos, while nice, kinda sucked me out of the illusion of playing something on the NES or early PC.

Anyway, I hope this gets finished! Once it is I'll be playing the heck out of it. Coffee

coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 03:25:49 AM »

Mixing old sound effects with real music is interesting to me. I believe that using chiptunes would be far to obvious of a direction to take.

I'm going to get someone to do some original music for the game once I've got it all fully playable.

This may or may not be something that's permanent. It may clash a bit with the visual restrictions of the game, I do like how it adds something new for a section of the game though.
coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 01:13:42 PM »

I implemented the pixel scale setting today. It was very simple but was just something I had neglected for some time. It works just like a NES emulator and updates immediately. It should be nice for anyone who feels that they would like a smaller game-field. It just offers some good control in general.
I might update the demo soon, once I have some more settings completed.

The second passage is almost done as well. It features all new enemies and colors.

Did anyone find out abut this when playing the demo?
Kekskiller
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 05:39:04 AM »

Posting here to get more precious updates. And I'm also gonna play and tape the demo as soon as I get home.
coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 06:00:20 AM »

Posting here to get more precious updates. And I'm also gonna play and tape the demo as soon as I get home.

I'd love to see that.
-
Some things from other parts of the froums, I'd rather not cross-post all this stuff
Background artwork: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=167.msg944661#msg944661
A collection of screens from Passage 2 : http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=24094.msg944710#msg944710
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 06:13:11 AM by coah » Logged
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 12:18:19 PM »

Name is cool, game is cooler Smiley

Might want to change the default controls, last time I played I had more difficulty because with a gamepad there was no ducking. I manually fixed it now though it took some fiddling as I didn't know of the right axis etc.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:04:53 PM by Games Inquirer » Logged

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 06:44:54 PM »

This looks pretty cool.  I tried it out but haven't played a game with Castlevania-ish controls in awhile so I got wrecked ..

Shrug
Kekskiller
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 06:13:57 AM »

I'd love to see that.

I honestly tried it but the joypad controls were totally fucked up. Every so often I pressed right on the dpad and then duck the hero would turn to the left. I used an Xbox360 control pad and the startup dialog for key/joypad setup. It also seems that the start dialog has no option to unset a key. Feels like there are two control mechanics that sort of fight over which one will reach the player character.
coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »

Changing the input setting in the Config-prompt would probably cause some issues. The setting there are just for the 360 gamepad. all keyboard controls are hard-coded at the moment.

I guess you would be using a qwertz keyboard by the way? that would definitely cause some issues with that build.

If you just used the gamepad without setting any controls up you should be fine if it's a standard 360 gamepad.
Kekskiller
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 11:21:43 AM »

Yeah, I'm using a qwertz layout but I totally forgot that I can change it in windows, too. Ok, let me try this again with another layout.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic