Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:23:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Darkhog's Visual Coding development tools list
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Darkhog's Visual Coding development tools list  (Read 15411 times)
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2013, 04:24:07 AM »

This thread is devoted to software that can be used to make complex games using visual coding. Therefore engines when you use standard code and which don't have visual coding by default, like Unity, or where using visual scripting can't get you very far, like Game Maker, are out of this list

2D tools:

1. Game Develop
http://compilgames.net

Platforms: Windows, Linux. On both you can export to HTML5, but I've been told that crosscompiling isn't possible at this point, so if you want to export to Windows native, you need windows box and if you want to export to Linux, you need Linux box to do so. Fortunately unless you are using windows-only extensions, porting will be just clicking Export button on either. It is also worth noting that windows-compiled GD games seems to run fine on Wine.

It is very easy to use game making tool. Can export to HTML5 and native (Linux/Windows, you must have Linux box if you want to compile for Linux and vice versa). It has hardware acceleration using OpenGL, advanced dynamic lighting, Box2D physics and more.
It can be extended using extensions written in C++, but most of the times there won't be any need for that.

License: Freeware

2. RPG Maker
http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/

Platforms: Windows, but aside of VX Ace, newest makers (unless Wine team fixed it by now) both editors and games made with it can be ran using Wine (one exception: RM2000/2003 games which uses Play Movie event command will crash under Wine. There's no known workaround apart of editing game to remove that command at this point).

Classic program. Very easy to use. As name suggests it is made for making RPGs or rather JRPGs. It can be extended using Ruby scripts, but on events alone you can also do pretty solid game.

License: Shareware (price dependant on version you want to buy)

3. Clickteam Fusion 2.5 (formerly Multimedia Fusion 2)
http://clickteam.com/

Platforms: Windows, has various exporters although I don't know if it does export to Linux/Mac.

Another classic software. It roots are in old, 16-bit game authoring tool called Klik&Play, therefore uses same classic interface that many got accustomed with over the years.
It isn't however stuck in the past and offers advanced technologies such as hardware acceleration (unsure if OpenGL or DX), export to many platforms such as Flash/Java (J2ME)/Android/iOS and more. CTF2.5 brings build-in physics engine and more!

License: Commercial (€299)

4. Construct 2
http://scirra.com/

Platforms: As far as I know, editor is only for Windows (Wine status of it is unknown for me so if someone tried to run it under wine, tell me about results), after buying full version can export to Lin/Mac/Win

Software geared mainly towards HTML5 games. It combines great stability and intuitivity of Construct Classic with new technologies such as export to HTML5 games.

License: Free if you care only about HTML5, paid if you care about making actual games and not minigames (Ł79, personal, Ł299 commercial).

5. Stencyl
http://stencyl.com

Platforms: It is Java-based so probably any platform with available JRE.

Software, written in Java, geared towards making simple flash games with collaborative aspect. It great use of web has given possibility to make StencylForge, a central hub for game resources. It also uses MIT Scratch's coding blocks technology.

License: Scamware. Seriously. I can understand flat prices for additional export targets, etc., I get that software cost money to develop. So I'm okay with that. But subscriptions? FOR WHAT? Stencyl Forge? If that so, I can go without it just fine, thank you very much.

6. GameSalad
http://gamesalad.com/

Platforms: Mac/Windows.

Similar to Stencyl, although older. Initially OSX software, now it's available for Windows.

License: Scamware, although even worse than in case of Stencyl.

3D Game making tools:

1. CraftStudio
http://www.craftstud.io

Platforms: Lin/Mac/Windows. Can export to either or to HTML5 (Web runtime isn't as feature complete like others, for example physics isn't implemented in it yet though).

Great software geared to making games similar in look to N64 titles. Really easy to use and user-friendly.

License: Shareware (€20 for beta, may be higher in final version).

Other game making tools:

1. Twine
http://www.twinery.org

Platforms: Mac/Windows. It is unclear if there's Linux version of Twine IDE available for Linux or if you are stuck with twee (Twine's compiler). In either case, from what I heard, Windows Twine runs fine under Wine (try saying that fast!).

Note: Version provided on above site is outdated and buggy, please use this one instead. While it labels itself "alpha" is in fact less buggy and more stable than 1.3.5 and fixes various bugs in exported stories. Irrelevant since version 1.4 has been released.

Twine is Interactive Fiction (IF) story maker. Stories made with it are very fun to play and software itself is very intuitive. To format your story, you are using standard WikiCode, like on wikipedia (sans more advanced stuff like equations, obviously).

License: Free (open source)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:05:07 AM by darkhog » Logged

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 07:54:01 AM »

Pretty solid list. I wouldn't add anything to it myself.

By the way, who wants to pay 300 euro for multimedia fusion 2 Who, Me??

@EDIT

Where did you take MMF2 price from? Here are the real prices:
MULTIMEDIA FUSION 2 - 99,00€
MULTIMEDIA FUSION 2 DEVELOPER - 299,00€
THE GAMES FACTORY 2 - 49,00€

There are also addons for things like exporting to other platforms.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:58:35 AM by kamac » Logged

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 12:13:02 PM »

Updated list with Twine.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:11:33 AM »

Bump. I'd greatly appreciate if pinned. For some people this thread would be useful.

Be a computer virus!

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 09:37:11 AM »

Done! I was skimming when I read the first post and missed the request there, sorry.

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 11:26:28 AM »

Nice list and it deserved the pinning.
However "Scamware" is a foolish term. I don't mind your non-imparcial POV, but Stencyl and GameSalad are quite explicit that they have yearly subscriptions and they don't mislead you into thinking otherwise (i.e. not a scam). An example of true "Scamware" are "anti-viruses" that fake results to trick you into installing/buying their product (known as rogue security software). So while your list is good I think you should mark these two tools as "Commercial" instead of "Scamware".

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 09:08:05 AM »

This is an awesome list, but I had a few suggestions. Adding which platforms the software can be used on would be pretty beneficial to those who are new and come across this list. Stencyl and Gamesalad (Which you mentioned as OSX software) both allow development on a Mac, while RPG Maker and Construct 2 are Windows only as of the last time I checked. Not everyone uses Windows and it can be beneficial to know, even though owning a Mac, I've almost been trained to assume most things are usually Windows only.

Also, something to note is that Gamesalad is touted as an HTML5 software development tool, which I guess it technically is, but in researching it, I found out that you can only publish your HTML5 game through their website. Then you can embed it elsewhere (like a youtube video, I guess, I'm not that smart), but it still all goes through Gamesalad itself. You don't have full control of your creation, even if you pay the $299 a year.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 12:54:24 PM »

I found out that you can only publish your HTML5 game through their website. Then you can embed it elsewhere (like a youtube video, I guess, I'm not that smart), but it still all goes through Gamesalad itself. You don't have full control of your creation, even if you pay the $299 a year.

Thank you for another reinforcement of my Scamware point.

I'll add platforms software can run on, sure. Honestly forgot about that.

//edit: List updated, added also some missing links and consolidated formatting of sections.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:09:11 PM by darkhog » Logged

Be a computer virus!

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 02:19:33 PM »

I've checked GameSalad's website and it wasn't clear that the HTML5 they employ needed to be on their website, so fair enough. Still, when I was rebutting your Scamware label it was because you mentioned subscription-based models as the justification for being Scamware, which I personally disagree.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 02:33:46 PM »

Again, subscription for what?

Subscriptions make sense for MMOs, that's why I'm not bitching about EVE's and WoW's subscriptions even though I want to play both games and trial account is not for me.

For software only license scheme that makes sense is FLAT, FREAKING, PRICES (second word was something different, but I've decided it was too obscene to use).

Be a computer virus!

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 02:38:23 PM »

It doesn't matter? The price is there and you decide if you want to pay it or not.

It's okay if you don't like to pay subscriptions for software, like for Stencyl or Creative Cloud, but they aren't scams. That's all.

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 02:40:31 AM »

Not to say I don't prefer free and oss software, which you can use anyway you want
But the subscribtion model is understandable, the last few years have been about the cloud and software as a service, and it fits nicely with that.

you subscribe to the latest updates, have some kind of dedicated support and don't need to worry about hosting your stuff somewhere.

A few of my friends have the Adobe creative cloud subscribtion (http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html) at 50$ / 60eu a month it's not nothing,but it's worth the monthly fee to them tenfold! on paper it's the same kind of subscription deal.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 09:45:42 AM »

I don't need dedicated support, can do fine with just community forums and I can host my stuff on my HDD + backups on Mega/Dropbox.

But maybe we should start separate thread about this, because this is going too far in off topic territory.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 12:00:43 PM »

If someone has any cool tools, just reply there and I'll update first post.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 02:28:04 AM »

Updated Twine link and removed irrelevant stuff from its description. May update list with some, erm... informed game making tool in few days.

Be a computer virus!

UltimateWalrus
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 11:32:39 AM »

Just so you know, Multimedia Fusion 2 is now Clickteam Fusion 2.5.  It has Box2D integrated in, uses Direct3D hardware acceleration, and now exports to HTML5 and XNA.

I'm a professional programmer but I still use MMF2 to make most of my games, as it's much quicker to use than other environments.  It's even extensible via C++.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 02:20:01 AM »

You should really try Game Develop then! It gives most of things MMF/CTF has and is free. It is extensible via C++ as well (thought there isn't as big extension library yet). Thought it may be moot point if you already paid for CTF/MMF.

I will update list shortly and I agree that there is no reason to use actual coding when easier solutions like visual coding can be used and give same or better effect.

Be a computer virus!

UltimateWalrus
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 08:55:45 AM »

I probably will try Game Develop, certainly doesn't hurt to broaden my horizons.  Though I've been a die-hard Clickteam supporter for the past 16 years or so :]

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 05:03:15 AM »

Well, you'll certain feel like home, as GD's creator managed to distill what's best about Clickteam's product, threw some best features of Construct to the mix and is doing this for free. The only drawback I am aware of is that it doesn't support Mac and support for HTML5 games is pretty much work-in-progress and not all features are available yet.

Be a computer virus!

Murtaza
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 03:25:06 AM »

Can I suggest our toolset?
It is called GamePress (http://gamepressapp.com) and is completely free.

It is an iPad app, so all the development is on the iPad. There are currently no export options (we're still working on that Smiley ) but you can share to our in-app community and have your games played and rated by others.

It is powered by Cocos-2D and Box2D. Includes a level editor, particle editor, sound effects generator, and a visual programming environment that is designed to work on touch screens.

Our next update adds some great features like google analytics integration so you can prototype game ideas and get real user data very quickly.

Feature wise we're comparable to GameSalad, and Construct (give or take a few things). We're actively developing it, and our goal is to make it a serious toolset to develop games on the go.

As I mentioned we're working on exporting, so you will be able to generate an xcode project soon.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic