Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411599 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 09:13:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XXVII - "Random" Encounter
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XXVII - "Random" Encounter  (Read 6106 times)
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2013, 08:00:14 AM »

"RANDOM" ...Encounter!

Why... do I keep putting random in quotes?  Because this challenge is all about RANDOM! Basically, I have compiled the instruments everybody has submitted as ideas and randomly generated numbers between 1 to 45... 3000 times(wanted to make sure it was pretty friggin' random).  The most common results are what you'll be using to craft your next masterpiece. Smiley

The Rules

Your random instruments are......
  Sine Wave  
  Synth bass
  Xylophone
  Slap Bass
  Banjo
  Pan Flute
  Double Bass
  Your Own Voice
  Steel Drum

Instruments 1 - 7 (required)
You MUST use 7 of those instruments in your track.

Instruments 8 - 9 (optional)
2 of the instruments may be traded out with any instrument you would like to use from the master list(at bottom of this post).

Instrument 10 (optional)
You may use any drum "set" you like, or none at all. Just don't use this as a crutch.

You must not talk about fight club.

You may not use anymore instruments than the 10 mentioned above.

You may write in any style you'd like.

If for some... "random" reason you have already written a track with these "random" instruments already... then please write something new and do NOT send me some track you made 4 months ago.  I will disqualify you from being a finalist.

Deadline

September 30, 2013

Judgement
Creativity will go a long way with this one, considering what you have to work with.  Obviously adhering to the rules is the most important thing as I won't hesitate to stomp you out of the finalists for breaking them.  So please make sure you read them about 10 times and ask questions if you need to... though I think they are pretty clear.

Final Thoughts
I've always loved doing random instrument challenges because they force you to really think about how you will do things, and to really focus on the strengths and weaknesses of each instrument in respect to one another.  It's a great learning experience and I hope that everybody has fun with it.  Although I'm not an actual participant this time, I will likely try my hand at writing something for this as well, just for the sake of having fun...

So, have at it!  Looking forward to hearing some awesome music!

MASTER LIST
Alphabetical Order

Banjo
  Acoustic Guitar (Steel)
  Alto Saxophone
  Baritone Sax
  Bassoon
  Celesta
  Circlebells
  Circuit-Bending Toy
  Clarinet
  Cowbell
  Didgeridoo
  Double Bass
  Dulcimer
  Erhu
  Flute
  Foot Stomps
  French Horn
  Guitar harmonics
  Gunshots
  Hand clap
  Hang Drum
  Harmonica
  Harp
  Kalimba
  Large String Ensemble
  Marimba
  Melodica
  Oboe
  Pan Flute
  Piano
  Piccolo Flute
  Sine Wave  
  Sitar
  Slap Bass
  Sleigh Bells
  Slide Electric Guitar
  Solo Cello
  Soprano Ukelele
  Square Wave
  Steel Drum
  Synth bass
  Tambourine
  Vibraphone
  Xylophone
  Your Own Voice
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:15:51 PM by ZackParrish » Logged

KeepItSimple
Level 0

Classically trained composer and trumpet player.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 08:23:59 AM »

Nice one! Will definitely give it a go.
Can't wait to see what people come up with.

EDIT: ...so meanwhile... I did this... not sure if it's my final piece for this, but it's fun!
https://soundcloud.com/simplykept/random-mumbling

EDIT2: needs some fixing up... I'll see to it later...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 11:04:48 AM by KeepItSimple » Logged

Keep it simple.
Crescent
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 10:37:11 AM »

Awesome, will get to writing some pieces for this ASAP.

Professional Composer
Vivid Sound

Bandcamp releases
Soundcloud demos and experiments
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »

EDIT: ...so meanwhile... I did this... not sure if it's my final piece for this, but it's fun!

Link is dead... this a private track?  Need to use the private URL if it is. :p

Edit - There it is! :]

eernstrom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 12:56:35 PM »

Great Challenge! I'm really looking forward to working on this one. But let me just set one thing straight . . .

We are allowed to switch out two of the instruments for two instruments from the master list. Can we add a drum set on top of that, as a tenth instrument, or does one of the original instruments need to be switched out? I'm weighing my options before I start, so I just want to make sure that what I'll be doing follows the rules.

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 01:04:19 PM »

Guess I didn't really put much clarification on the drumset part... Here's a map to make things a little more concrete...

Instruments 1 - 7 = Must come from Random List
Instruments 8 - 9 = May be any instrument from the Master List(optional)
Instrument 10 = Drumset(Optional)

The track must contain the 7 required instruments, but you do not have to use instruments 8, 9 and 10.  

That make more sense?  I added in the trade in rule to help alleviate any complications one might face trying to use an instrument from the list.  For example "Your Own Voice" could be tricky for someone that has no recording setup to do such a thing. :p  I had to improvise on the rules because of those kinds of submissions... Smiley

eernstrom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »

That clears it up. Thanks!

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 02:18:19 PM »

Not sure if i will participate yet, but I wanted to ask: Can we distorsionate the instruments and apply effects etc? If my own voice sounds like a mouse (for example), would still be valid?

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 02:19:51 PM »

Yes, DSPs are allowed.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 02:24:08 PM »

if anyone could like to free banjo samples and stuff that would be sweet

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 02:30:08 PM »

Do you want them as a VST or just actual samples?

http://www.spicyguitar.com/

That guitar set has a banjo in it... not the greatest sounding banjo in the world, but it's free! Smiley

I can send you WAV samples of a banjo too if you'd prefer that.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 02:39:20 PM by ZackParrish » Logged

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 06:45:23 AM »

I certainly hope the instrument restrictions will be lifted for the next challenge: honestly, I probably won't participate because the rules now appear too restrictive.

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 07:34:03 AM »

Outside of the limitations on the instruments you must use, there aren't any restrictions. And what's the point of a "Musical Challenge" if there isn't anything to actually create a "challenge".  That would negate the point of the "challenge".

Time to shelve the 80s synth and try your hand at something new.  Wink

KeepItSimple
Level 0

Classically trained composer and trumpet player.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 08:20:18 AM »

I certainly hope the instrument restrictions will be lifted for the next challenge: honestly, I probably won't participate because the rules now appear too restrictive.

The way I see it, these kinds of things are exactly why I do these challenges. I want my abilities tested and my horizons expanded in ways I would have not done so myself. I never would have written that mumbling tune if not for the limitations here. Staying in your comfort zone is the greatest limitation of them all. Smiley

And if you're worried about not having high quality enough samples, I don't think that'll be counted against anyone here for this challenge, considering.

And...
We're used to you always turning stuff in for these. It's always interesting to see what the "regulars" will come up with (you and others around here) - always quality stuff to learn from.

Give it a go!

Keep it simple.
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 08:36:14 AM »

The way I see it, these kinds of things are exactly why I do these challenges. I want my abilities tested and my horizons expanded in ways I would have not done so myself. I never would have written that mumbling tune if not for the limitations here. Staying in your comfort zone is the greatest limitation of them all. Smiley

And if you're worried about not having high quality enough samples, I don't think that'll be counted against anyone here for this challenge, considering.

And...
We're used to you always turning stuff in for these. It's always interesting to see what the "regulars" will come up with (you and others around here) - always quality stuff to learn from.

Give it a go!

I second this, along with Zack's post. Perhaps it is a personal thing? I absolutely ADORE challenges like this. It throws you into unknown waters to truly test what you are capable of, with anything!

Don't count this one out, Python. You'll be super surprised with the results, I'm sure. Not to mention you have plenty of time to create something!

I'm stoked to hear the entries that come up.

eernstrom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 10:18:33 AM »

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Sure, your sound palette is limited, but that's it. There's no theme or any sort of "idea" that your piece needs to express. You can literally do whatever you want, within these restrictions, and in my opinion, that makes it all much more exciting. Limitations don't limit your creativity, they make you much more innovative and willing to take risks. Go for it!

Peregrinus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 12:33:31 PM »

I like how everyone respond very positively to Python. Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Sometimes it makes me believe that this forum is out of the Internet.  Big Laff

There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

I'm a composer. If you would like to hear my work : http://soundcloud.com/n-galipeau
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 06:45:14 PM »

EDIT2: needs some fixing up... I'll see to it later...

Haha, love it. Very funny. Grin

eernstrom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 07:26:53 PM »

Ok. . . so I switched out the voice and banjo for piano and drums, decided it would work as some sort of quasi-jazz ensemble. The outcome is certainly entertaining!

https://soundcloud.com/eernstrom5/roadside-jam

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 08:29:19 PM »

Well, in light of the encouragement from others, I tried.

https://soundcloud.com/pythonblue/frozen-in-disorder

I must say, I'm quite surprised I was able to do this so quickly despite aforementioned limits of what instruments could be used.

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic